shth04.cre - Morsa - originally Neutral Evil
shth05.cre - Joster - originally Neutral Evil
shth06.cre - Varia - originally Neutral Evil
shthdr01.cre - Brannel - originally Neutral Evil
shthlt01.cre - Jariel - originally Neutral Evil
shthlt02.cre - Lathan - originally Neutral Evil
shthstor.cre - Rattell - originally Neutral Evil
slcent.cre - Amnish Centurion - originally Lawful Good

Edit: Also check the alignment overview thread.

Making (I think) everybody in the thieves guild CN is a bit arbitrary IMHO. Makes sense for some of the assignable thieves, but I think LE or maybe LN would be a better fit for the guild's "second-in-command", whats-his-name (Jariel?). Eh, maybe I'd better go look up who does what there again. :)

I'd also believe that the general alignment at The Thieves' Guild should be CE for most members...

That I can not agree with. With one possible exception, (the most bloodthirsty of the assignable rogues) I don't think any of the guild members/staff fit the CE bill. Thankfully there's more than a little dialogue involved with these people, so it should be possible to make suitable adjustments for each individual.

I made some notes while reading through the individual guild members dialogue files:

shth01 & 11 Hanz: - CN is ok, but CG might be a better fit. Did I detect a hint of Robin Hood-ism with this guy?

shth02 Goshan: Stresses guild loyalty & duty, not very chaotic. The fact that he alone of all these was given an alignment other than NE by Bioware suggests that that LE was not a fluke. Either keep the LE or change to LN, CN is just plain wrong to me here.

shth03 Kretor: CN seems OK (better than NE, at any rate).

shth04 Morsa: I think CG rather than CN. Very good-natured. Certainly not NE!

shth05 Joster: LN or LE would be equally suitable, I think.

shth06 Varia: - CN or CE maybe? Comes off as somewhat bloodthirsty to me.

shthdr01 Brannel: Eh, CN rather than NE but I'm not sure it's the "right" alignment.

shthlt01 Jariel: LN or LE. FWIW, he actually expresses regret at the death of certain rogues (like Morsa). I'd go with LN, I think.

shthlt02 Lathan: I have no big problem with CN here, but his dialogue indicates a certain... discipline, for lack of better words, so I think LN is a possibility.

shthstor Rattell: Very little dialogue to go on, but as a fence he might just as well be LE (or LN) rather than CN.

As for Gromnir, is there anything concrete backing up the LN -> CN change? Don't get me wrong, I think the change suits him - just wondering if I've missed a developer statement or something.

As for Gromnir, is there anything concrete backing up the LN -> CN change? Don't get me wrong, I think the change suits him - just wondering if I've missed a developer statement or something.

Chaotic Neutral is described as the alignment of most of the insane. It's not universal, but given Gromnir's actions (apparently randomnly imprisoning/executing people), he qualifies as CN.

Chaotic Neutral is described as the alignment of most of the insane. It's not universal, but given Gromnir's actions (apparently randomnly imprisoning/executing people), he qualifies as CN.

Right. Again, I think it's quite fitting - just wondering if I'd missed anything.

Thanks for going through all of the thieves, Gorilym. My big problem is they're really just given generic personalities and then follow the PC's instructions to do good or evil things. The, uh, "moral flexibility" that Bio has given to them--presumably so the PC can run the guild exactly as she/he wants--makes it (IMO) hard to justify them as anything other than neutral on the good-evil axis.

I agree in the cases of Goshan (LN), Joster (LE), Jariel (LN), and Rattell (LN). As above, it's hard for me to imagine Morsa as good-aligned when she'll import slaves or Varia as CE when she'll gladly do nothing.

per devSin, shth011 is dropped. Otherwise, the rest remain as CN.

More discussion is, of course, welcome. :rant:

Archived