The multi-install tool is a program that allows side-by-side installs of any supported game (see list below) at a minimal size. This can be useful for example when playing incompatible mods, or when wanting to test a mod on a fresh install. Specifically, it follows the instructions posted by igi in Discussion: Multiple BG2 Installations, though it now works on games besides BG2. This project is licensed under the GNU General Public License (version 2). As such the source code is included in the MIT package.
WARNING: Multi Install tool v5.1.12 does not work on recent Java versions. To use this tool as recommended by megamodification instructions, please download and use v5.1.10, which is confirmed stable and working on recent Java versions. Please visit the forums to discuss and contribute to updating this mod.
Supported IE Games
The Multi Install Tool will work on any of the following Infinity Engine games:
- Baldur's Gate for Mac OS X
- Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn for Windows, with or without the official patch
- Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn for Mac OS X
- Baldur's Gate II: Thrown of Bhaal, with the official patch.
- Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal for Mac OS X
- Baldur's Gate II: The Collection
- Icewind Dale for Mac OS X or Windows, with or without the official patch, but without any expansion packs.
Note: Mac OS 9 games are not supported.
In general, any patches or mods after the official patches for each game will have no impact on support by the Multi Install Tool.
To use the multi-install tool, you will need:
- An installed copy of a supported Infinity Engine game.
- A recent java runtime environment - if you get an error saying 'Unsupported class version', your Java version is not new enough.
- The multi-install tool.
- Ensure that you have met the requirements above.
- Download and run the multi-install tool.
- Fill in the fields as follows:
- Source: an existing installation, to be used as a basis for the clone.
- Sink: where you want the new installation to live on your disk.
- Optionally, change any available preferences in the lower pane.
Depending on the game you have selected to clone, your operating
system, and whether you have any save games, not all of the displayed
options will be enabled. Each option will increase the size of the
clone directory, but may be required for certain functionality or
Note: if 'data' is selected, 'music' will always be copied, regardless of whether that checkbox is selected.
- Click 'Go'.
- Wait until the progress bar fills in and says 'Done'.
- Run the clone with the main executable (eg, 'bgmain.exe' - not baldur.exe) in the clone folder.
The newly-created install will have the same set of patches and mods to start with as the one it was cloned from. You can apply mods as usual to the cloned game, and they will not affect any other installation you have on your system.