Just wishing

Diana

I recentlyl ran an online German-English translator for Rosenranken's Drizzt mod by Octavian. I loved it -- though the mechanical translation lost much during the translation.

And I heard recently of a French mod - Kim the pirate from one of the IE French communities. From what I've managed to run through the French to English convertor, it is a shame that the rest of us cannot enjoy it. Her banters are funny!

I just wish -- we had interpreters for these great mods from the foreign IE communities.

Now that you mentioned permissions, I wonder - maybe there're some (unauthorized) translations lying somewhere? For example, from what I know, literally hundreds of Russian translations of English mods are lying about at Aerie.ru - perhaps this might be the case with non-English ones, as well. (So far I tried a few simple queries, but none succeeded).

Ech... in Poland we have some mods. But not too many translators pol-eng. For me it's extremly difficult thing to translate dialogues etc. :/ As you can see, I'm only one-sided translator.

But some mods like a Lester NPC... hm, I think they should be translated.

Sometimes I'm thinking about... international Mod's translation centre. We have got in Poland our Ramazith Tower, which collects translations and also makes them :) And it works fine. Maybe you know, pol-czech-rus-esp-ger-fra-etc. union could be also fine? Mhah, who knows...

And I heard recently of a French mod - Kim the pirate from one of the IE French communities. From what I've managed to run through the French to English convertor, it is a shame that the rest of us cannot enjoy it. Her banters are funny!

I just wish -- we had interpreters for these great mods from the foreign IE communities.

I'm no great translator, but I am a french translator, and I'll translate anything you give me. I'm already working on Kulyok's Xan for BG2 though (who is, I must say, I wordy little elf, with different paths, tons of banters, and quite a few LTs! :) ), and I'm not exactly Speedy Gonzalez (what can I say, gotta deal with RL too! :) ), but I'm getting more efficient as I'm learning all the french translations of some Realms terms.

Bottom line, I'll translate anything you give me, but you guys are going to start taking numbers! :)

I'm no great translator, but I am a french translator, and I'll translate anything you give me. I'm already working on Kulyok's Xan for BG2 though (who is, I must say, I wordy little elf, with different paths, tons of banters, and quite a few LTs! :) ), and I'm not exactly Speedy Gonzalez (what can I say, gotta deal with RL too! :) ), but I'm getting more efficient as I'm learning all the french translations of some Realms terms.

Bottom line, I'll translate anything you give me, but you guys are going to start taking numbers! :)

Merci beaucoup. While I appreciate the offer, I think it would be too much, and of course the author's permission would be necessary if she was released to the IE community. Kim's banter file is 17 pages, interjections 12 pages, and her joining file is 57 pages, and I haven't mentioned her quest file! What I may ask you is to translate a word here and there that the online free translation programs cannot decipher, if you're willing. It's great to know that I'm not alone wishing to see what our colleagues have created.

We do have two teams of translator on French forums, one of which is linked in my signature, but we mostly do "foreign language" to french... and we are quite overwhelmed with it. And by experience, I should add that a translation is always better done that way (from another language to your native one).

As regards Kim, the modder hasn't been seen on the forum since 2005 :)

We do have two teams of translator on French forums, one of which is linked in my signature, but we mostly do "foreign language" to french... and we are quite overwhelmed with it. And by experience, I should add that a translation is always better done that way (from another language to your native one).

As regards Kim, the modder hasn't been seen on the forum since 2005 :)

From what I've seen of Kim with the mechanical online translation - she is worthy to share with the entire IE community. Her language is slightly above a 'Teen' rating '' but she is not "x-rated" as we Americans say. She is 'realistic'. IMHO this is a great character and worthy of being translated by someone knowlegable in French/English. She is too good to miss.

And by experience, I should add that a translation is always better done that way (from another language to your native one).

So I guess I can do it any way I want, since I'm lucky enough to have two native languages... :)

Anyway, if you guys keep raving about Kim, maybe I should try this mod out... :)

I'd like to see it too, and also these Polish and German mods. In English of course :). Though they're probably for BG2, and I'm still stuck on BG1 modding. Still mired in getting the code and the English .TRAs straight before worrying about those for other languages :).

I am lucky enough to be fluent in French, English and (almost) in German, so I have tried some very good mods such as Kim, Malthis or Ajantis. They can indeed compete quite well with the more reknowed (did I get this right this time :) ) English one ^^

I am lucky enough to be fluent in French, English and (almost) in German, so I have tried some very good mods such as Kim, Malthis or Ajantis.

Erm, from what I know, German Ajantis is bare bones, less in content than a One-Day NPC, even. Comparind Ajantis to Kim does lead me to some unfavourable conclusions, you know.

Archived