Just wishing

Diana

All it tells me is that the person who wrote that is easy to please. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Hopefully, native English speakers will take the hint from the international community and get translating. There are lots of us around who can read a language that isn't English well enough to translate it into English. As a previous poster said, translating from a non-fluent language into a native one isn't too bad.

Of course, I'm the one who mangled a proofreading job and wound up having an NPC talking about sentient furniture, so maybe no one had better listen to me.

The problem is - I cannot speak for Spanish, German or French translations - but Russian translations are... well... sometimes lacking, self included. And while I would only be happy to hear of more translations(Like, wow! Quest Pack in Chinese!), I think I'll be wary and reluctant to play a translated module.

I have great respect for Badgert, who translated many, many mods into Russian over at Aerie.ru community, but recently I read his post, which was saying the same - that one doesn't have to speak good English to be translating mods - and I was rather scared to hear it. Selfish as it may sound, I'd rather have quality.

And there's another reason.

Ech... in Poland we have some mods. But not too many translators pol-eng. For me it's extremly difficult thing to translate dialogues etc. :/ As you can see, I'm only one-sided translator.

But some mods like a Lester NPC... hm, I think they should be translated.

Sometimes I'm thinking about... international Mod's translation centre. We have got in Poland our Ramazith Tower, which collects translations and also makes them :) And it works fine. Maybe you know, pol-czech-rus-esp-ger-fra-etc. union could be also fine? Mhah, who knows...

Hm, on Sigil are two translators teams - German and English. German is most of the time of its existence dormant and the English... well, lets say that translating Tsujatha in team is more difficult than one would think :) (and trust me, I know what am I speaking - I'm leader of English translating team in this time).

I like the idea about international translation centre :) Translators of all lands of the world, join up! :(

And Kulyok, that reminds me of some mistakes in Czech translations - it's really funny when for example the sentence "It's cool!" is translated as "It's cold!" :)

German Ajantis is bare bones, less in content than a One-Day NPC, even
Eh, eh, now you overtop my shy self-understatements, which gives me the urge to defend my (and, in conclusion, the other authors') work: Interjections of the current version are complete, join and leave dialogue are complete, miniquest is complete, there are even three PC-dialogues. Only missing is a real quest and NPC interactions, plus the hundrets and hundrets of PC-friendship / hatred/ / romances dialogues that are usual nowadays.

OK, maybe I don't know what the content of a nowadays one-day NPC is, in the end. :)

EDIT: Kulyok, your link made me laugh out loudly (I am in the office, dammit). I can't believe I missed that one until now!

I decided to visit the Russian, German and French comunities one day only to try if I could download their mods (if there where any mods). I am Spanish and don't know a word in Russian, German or French but I tried it.

I could only download something from the German and French communities, I think that two Npcs and a quest mods and I plan one day to translate them into english using an online dictionary and common sense.

Why do I not try to translate them into Spanish? Because I don't like spanish translations of mods. Sometimes I read the dialog files of npc mods, to know what they say without playing them and I only read the english files, the spanish ones, most of the time sucks.

I respect the translators, I know they have spent a huge amount of time translating thousands or words, but sometimes (more frenquently than desired) they just kill the atmosphere and the mod.

I would love to see, and even to help in a Translation Community (it could help me to improve my english) and to have french, german, polish, russian or even chinesse mods into english (and why not, spanish) but without common sense it could never be done properly.

By the way, you people have given me a reason to try out that Kim npc mod, but just one question, do you know if it is only SoA or if it continues to ToB as well?

Why do I not try to translate them into Spanish? Because I don't like spanish translations of mods. Sometimes I read the dialog files of npc mods, to know what they say without playing them and I only read the english files, the spanish ones, most of the time sucks.

I can't say I disagree. I installed, for the very first time in my entire life, the french version of BG2, so as to have the context for the interjections while translating Xan. I must say that even the official translation is absolutely horrid.

So, bottom line is that things are always better in their original language. But we can't all speak every language, so sometimes, we have to make do with translations. I know that the french community is very curious about Kulyok's Xan for BG2 and eager to try it out, and I'm going to do my best to retain the atmosphere of the mod.

it's really funny when for example the sentence "It's cool!" is translated as "It's cold!" :)
More Czenglish, eh? :(

Meh... this is not Czenglish, this is lack of knowledge :):band:

I can't say I disagree. I installed, for the very first time in my entire life, the french version of BG2, so as to have the context for the interjections while translating Xan. I must say that even the official translation is absolutely horrid.

Heh, I've always played the Czech version, if it was available. My knowledge of English is better than knowledge of some of my classmates but that doesn't neccesary mean that I want to play the game in original language. Czech is nice language once you get used to it, trust me :(:band:

So, bottom line is that things are always better in their original language. But we can't all speak every language, so sometimes, we have to make do with translations. I know that the french community is very curious about Kulyok's Xan for BG2 and eager to try it out, and I'm going to do my best to retain the atmosphere of the mod.

Heh, and that's one of the reason why I want to begin learning Russian next year. Russion is nice language - I always remember one moment from holidays on one railway station in Czech, when one Russian lady didn't know how to buy a coffe in espresso bar (I guess that she has had problems with reading Roman characters). Well, when we made understood that I will speak slowly Czech and she slowly Russian, it was really easy. These Slavonic languages are wonderful :) (only the letters are problematic :) )

Ladies and gentlemen,

This discussion is certainly wonderful. I, and I'm sure others who are only fluent in English/American, look forward to playing mods that were created by our non-English colleagues. Good luck to you all!

Actually over the French forum, a guy was listing misspelling and other mistakes in grammar to try and complie a corrective patch for the French version on BG2. Luckily with the DVD, I can have both text and voices in original version.

I hated when they adressed my male character with feminine grammar :)

Or when the sentence you are reading has no sense at all and you think: Did they read what they translated or just hitted the buttom in the automatic translation program and waited for it to end.

I know I can earn some hates between spanish communities, being spanish and criticising them, but they aren't the ones I critisize, I just don't like the few mods I tried translated into spanish (lots of sentences without sense) and of course the original translation of the game, which the "improved spanish translation" has not fixed fully (see my post in Found in Translation to read the errors in spanish translation).

I just would love to know more languages and to install mods from other countries and play a multi-languaged Baldur's Gate. It would be funny (and maybe buggie), but it would be great!!!

Archived