Amber Romance

Guest Paul Iverson

Guest Paul Iverson

Does Amber have a romance conflict variable? If so is there a way that I can turn it off? I want to be able to romance Amber but the romance seemed to end when Viconia found us talking. Is there a variable that I can remove that will allow for her in multiple romances?

Just fix the conflicting variables in m#amber.baf, that'll help ;)

starting from line 2929

Yeah, a great way for messing things up. ;) Seriously, it's not that simple. Why not start a multiplayer game and create two characters, one for romancing Viconia and one for romancing Amber? Double the fun with no need to feel stupid afterwards. ;)

Well I have a problem I hope someone can help me with and I hope it hasn't been asked lots before. My problem is this - for the first time ever I figured out how to start a multi-player game and control the 2 characters myself. My HUGE problem is that when the game begins and there is that cut scene in the dungeon my player 2 is outside of the main pc's cage and Immy can't reach him and just stands there and does a jerking motion because she can't get to where she wants to go. This goes on and on and I have to manually exit the game because it just plain won't go anywhere. I thought it was a freak thing so I began all over again and it happened again. How can I get past this so I can go on? Has anyone else ever run into this hugely irritating problem? I mean you can't even make a save for your characters right off the bat. : (

Edit - it just occured to me that maybe I asked this in the wrong place because it may not be an Amber issue? I don't really know. Sorry if I put this in the wrong place I just made my best guess.

Well I have a problem I hope someone can help me with and I hope it hasn't been asked lots before. My problem is this - for the first time ever I figured out how to start a multi-player game and control the 2 characters myself. My HUGE problem is that when the game begins and there is that cut scene in the dungeon my player 2 is outside of the main pc's cage and Immy can't reach him and just stands there and does a jerking motion because she can't get to where she wants to go. This goes on and on and I have to manually exit the game because it just plain won't go anywhere. I thought it was a freak thing so I began all over again and it happened again. How can I get past this so I can go on? Has anyone else ever run into this hugely irritating problem? I mean you can't even make a save for your characters right off the bat. : (

If I understand you correctly, the cutscene starts and Imoen tries to walk up and initiate dialogue with Player 2, not Player 1?

I'm not sure why this would be happening, but you should be able to bypass it by starting a multiplayer game with 1 character, and then add in the second one later via the character arbitration screen.

If I understand you correctly, the cutscene starts and Imoen tries to walk up and initiate dialogue with Player 2, not Player 1?

I'm not sure why this would be happening, but you should be able to bypass it by starting a multiplayer game with 1 character, and then add in the second one later via the character arbitration screen.

She tries to reach player 1 but player 2 is blocking her way to him. Anyway what you said makes sense (d'oh!) I will begin with 1 player and add player 2 after all that scene is finished. Thank you so very much!

I didn't know I could do that but now that you say so it makes sense. ;) Thanks again!

Guest Guest

Just fix the conflicting variables in m#amber.baf, that'll help ;)

starting from line 2929

Yeah, a great way for messing things up. :cringe: Seriously, it's not that simple. Why not start a multiplayer game and create two characters, one for romancing Viconia and one for romancing Amber? Double the fun with no need to feel stupid afterwards. :)

Works fine and fits right in with NPCflirtpack, what exactly did screw up in your install if I may ask?

Just fix the conflicting variables in m#amber.baf, that'll help :)

starting from line 2929

Yeah, a great way for messing things up. ;) Seriously, it's not that simple. Why not start a multiplayer game and create two characters, one for romancing Viconia and one for romancing Amber? Double the fun with no need to feel stupid afterwards. :)

Works fine and fits right in with NPCflirtpack, what exactly did screw up in your install if I may ask?

It's never screwed up anything in my install, since I've never tried it. But having coded much of Amber's romance (although the conflict parts are mostly Meira's work) I know that there are all kinds of interdependencies between the various romance-related variables (certain values of one variable might require other variables to have a certain value, etc.), and those variables get manipulated and used also in various other places outside m#amber.baf.

I'm not saying you could not get such a workaround to work, but there is definitely a larger-than-small chance that you'll miss some dependency and something will end up not working quite right. Might not be anything major, but might be enough to cause the romance path to loop or get stopped prematurely due to some variable having an unexpected value at some point. It's not without reason that we have a rather lengthy text file documenting the meanings of all the values of all the variables. And still we occasionally manage to screw things up while coding new stuff or tweaking what's already there. :) Amber's internal workings are quite a bit more complicated than those of Bioware NPCs.

Archived