Wizards of the Coast are killing licenses

LadeJarl

Dragonlance, too, I see. It's quite cold to do it before a Big Announcement(if any), in my book: the effect for me is almost as if Rowling has suddenly come down and issued a "cease and desist" letter for all Potter fanfic and merchandise. Leaving fans hanging, too.

the effect for me is almost as if Rowling has suddenly come down and issued a "cease and desist" letter for all Potter fanfic and merchandise. Leaving fans hanging, too.

What Kulyok said.

:):):) This is really too bad... ;):(;)

Perhaps they are gearing up to releasing another campaign setting. They had 3 I believe from that competition they ran some time ago.

Eberron being the first, perhaps they see potential in feeding resources into these from other areas.

WotC sucks plain and simple. The games settings were better off when it was TSR. Ever since TSR became a memory the D&D settings and rule sets just suck. They did away with Ravenloft, Darksun and a few other settings. Next them come up with lame 3.0 rules only to have that replaced shortly with 3.5. Now they do away with the magazines and the Dragonlance settings.

I can't bitch enough about my disdain about company mergers and take overs. Little companies are better off being little. TSR, SSI, Interplay, and many more companies were better off before they merged or were bought out by the bigger companies.

I hate free enterprise. I could go on about how cool the internet used to be when I first came on back in 98-99. Now its nothing but big companies running the show. But enough of off topic.

I'll be content with good old AD&D and all of the old books I have for that. I'll be saving money and they lost a customer.

Hm. Ravenloft was given up by White Wolf themselves, I'm pretty sure, not called back by the big company. They wanted to focus on their own settings- and they're big money-hitter, which is the World of Darkness. People are pointing out that it seems likely that the Dragonlance license was less of a 'forced' thing and more of an agreement as well- Weiss wants to publish that campaign setting that's basically just like Dragonlance only different, right? (Sorry, sorry. I don't have much love for them.)

Considering that the Kingdom of Kalamar setting is still out and WotC has made no sign of yanking it back, I think this is a bit premature. Wizards has been talking about wanting to switch to the whole online rather then magazine information thing for quite sometime.

...And, er? TSR did what they did to themselves. Considering the way the Blumes and Williams ran the company, we're lucky D&D still exists at all. TSR ruined themselves, similar to Interplay did. I can't call WotC awful for buying up a declining license and turning it in to something profitable and enjoyable.

I'm guessing this is heralding a new fourth edition in the next few years. *shrug*

Yeah, I have to say that I will treat 4E much like 2E: whatever. I'm still playing, so I guess I'll learn it sooner or later.

I've been playing D&D since 1976, when my cousin gave me a game for my 9th birthday to annoy my fumdamentalist mother. But that plan backfired, as she was just too happy to see her three children all playing together quietly to even notice what they were playing. Later, of course, she reigistered her complaint, but it was too late.

In any case, if I haven't stopped playing with every subsequent new addition, I'm not likely to stop playing now.

The sad thing about what WotC do is that they, like all the big companies, are interested in making money, pure and simple (which is now they get so big in the first place). There's very little room for artistic integrity in a company full of business bean-counters and so they produce stuff tuned to the lowest common denominator and leave out the stuff that makes games interestng and unique. To me, that's not a funky new ruleset, though there's nothing wrong with that either.

Computer game companies are afflicted by the same problem. BG2 had a bunch of stuff cut out, but NWN2 was butchered even more solidly, just to get it out faster (hey, endless combat and pretty items are all these gamers want, right?).

Archived