Baldur's Gate 2 Plot improvements

Do you think there is space for improvement in the BG2 plot?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I pretty much liked the Baldur's Gate 2 plot, perhaps the Throne of Bhaal plot was not that good, but I guess it had a really cool story. Since I'm about to start an add-in mod for BG2, I would like to know what you think about where the BG2 plot could be improved.

The Main Plot is quite sound, but a lot of the sidequests could use brushing-up. For example, I'm playing a Kensai->Druid at the moment (my first time being either one of those class elements), and found a lot of stupid things connected with the Druid Stronghold quest:

1) When a PC Druid defeats Faldorn, he/she does not automatically become Master of the Grove

2) The Spirit of the Grove starts giving you quests before you become a Great Druid

3) During the first of those quests, you're given a weapon that ain't worth jack, you probably bought one that was 3 times better more than 2 weeks ago

4) In the challenge to become Great Druid, you have to kill a fellow Druid of the Grove

5) After you kill him, your reward includes a bunch of gold

6) Your reward also includes a duplicate of an item that's supposed to be unique (at least according to its Description).

More to come? Perhaps! :suspect:

Irenicus is a moron. His original plan was, well, silly ("I shall become a god without worshippers or a portfollio, ignoring the fact that in so doing I'll imedidiately become the sworn enemy of a large number of old, powerful, widely worshipped gods who really know what they're doing"). After his failure and the escape of CHARNAME, Irenicus lets the PC prance about gaining power when Bodhi and her gang are right there available to kidnap the party again in their sleep. Irenicus then dumps the not even mildly incovenienced CHARNAME in the spellhold maze with mad Bodhi without even bothering to strip the party of their vast arsenal of magic items and artefacts. Irenicus' final goal? To repeat the plan to become a god that made no sense in the first place. Maybe Irenicus had some kind of secret plan that explains all of this stupidity; let the players in on it, so we can stop laughing at him. :suspect:

Also, Elsime was a moron ("Let us loose this vicious and dangerous pair of psychopaths on the world to kill and destroy, and let us not even bother keeping an eye on them, because we would much rather contemplate the beauty of these really big acorns; They certainly won't plot revenge, why that could never happen"). Maybe she had some kind of secret plan that would make her actions seem less goofy. :)

Also, Elsime was a moron ("Let us loose this vicious and dangerous pair of psychopaths on the world to kill and destroy, and let us not even bother keeping an eye on them, because we would much rather contemplate the beauty of these really big acorns; They certainly won't plot revenge, why that could never happen"). Maybe she had some kind of secret plan that would make her actions seem less goofy. :suspect:

Elven society is very big on allowing miscreants to redeem themselves after suffering for their crimes. There are stories of the elven gods trying to teach their wayward children important lessons. Obviously Irenicus isn't listening.

And Irenicus ma have wanted to become something god-like, rather than an actual god (e.g. Demogorgon). But he's certainly not going to blab the intricacies of his plans to the PC. He's made enough mistakes already. :)

Elven society is very big on allowing miscreants to redeem themselves after suffering for their crimes. There are stories of the elven gods trying to teach their wayward children important lessons. Obviously Irenicus isn't listening.

I can't buy it Rob. :suspect: There's a difference between "Let the boy and girl redeem themselves" and "let the murdering mage and his vampire sister rampage unchecked". Let's at least have some explanation from Elsime on the lines of "Well, we watched 'em for ten years or so, an' they wuz doin' well, just reedeemin' like mad, an' then we went into the pub for just a bit an' when we came out they'd gone an' done a runner."

And Irenicus ma have wanted to become something god-like, rather than an actual god (e.g. Demogorgon). But he's certainly not going to blab the intricacies of his plans to the PC. He's made enough mistakes already.

That would have made more sense. Unfortunately in-game we're told that he wanted to join the Seladrine, not as a mage with god-like power but as an actual god. In the real world we know that this was just a case of the writers not bothering to think about how D&D cosmology works (gods need a portfolio and worshippers), but in game that makes Irenicus' plan dim from the start. Unless maybe he was going for "Elven Lord of Fetish-Wear"? :)

I agree with BT that Irenicus' plot is a colander.

My suggestion always was that Irenicus was previously in the ligue with Sarevok, acting as his agent in Tethyr, preparing the next stage of the war (Amn and BG against Tethyr) and in return was promissed the conquest of the certain Elven city. His SEKRET plan was though to backstabb Sarevok, extract his soul and take over his following once he reached Tethyr. When Sarevok died, he paniced and grabbed PC instead, trying in his maniac experiments to turn him into the next Sarevok.

So restoring the cut loop - I will give you power- will be a good idea - let Irenicus give PC extra power (levels, slayer change w/o loosing his soul), and conquer Athkatla (PC leads the drow army and Bodhi opens the gates, then a serie of fights in every district of Athkatla) and then Sul... and then enter the duel with Irenicus.

:suspect:

My suggestion always was that Irenicus was previously in the ligue with Sarevok, acting as his agent in Tethyr, preparing the next stage of the war (Amn and BG against Tethyr) and in return was promissed the conquest of the certain Elven city. His SEKRET plan was though to backstabb Sarevok, extract his soul and take over his following once he reached Tethyr. When Sarevok died, he paniced and grabbed PC instead, trying in his maniac experiments to turn him into the next Sarevok.

So restoring the cut loop - I will give you power- will be a good idea - let Irenicus give PC extra power (levels, slayer change w/o loosing his soul), and conquer Athkatla (PC leads the drow army and Bodhi opens the gates, then a serie of fights in every district of Athkatla) and then Sul... and then enter the duel with Irenicus.

:suspect:

I like this. Let Evil CHARNAMEs side with Irenicus (until the inevitable betrayal), let Good CHARNAMEs follow the current plotline, with the addition of Irenicus' actions actually making more sense.

My dislikes with the plot have been mentioned.... except for a few things:

1.) The main villain(s) are extremely flat characters who are only there to gain power and exploit CHARNAME. Their alignment is always evil. They destroy anything that opposes them.

2.) Why do some NPCs *have* to be forced one you? I hate all 3 of them: Imoen, Jaheira, and Minsc.

I'll start explaining what can be done to improve the storyline tomorrow... I am running out of time atm.

-Galactygon

You need only rescue her in passing, and then leave her to die in Spellhold's Labyrinth. In my last game I left Jaheira and Minsc to rot in their cages. :)

I can't buy it Rob.  There's a difference between "Let the boy and girl redeem themselves" and "let the murdering mage and his vampire sister rampage unchecked". Let's at least have some explanation from Elsime on the lines of "Well, we watched 'em for ten years or so, an' they wuz doin' well, just reedeemin' like mad, an' then we went into the pub for just a bit an' when we came out they'd gone an' done a runner."

The Drow are an excellent example of just this sort of thing. The Seldarine is stronger (in terms of Godly rank) than the fractured Drow pantheon. Why don't they just tool up and hose those rebels into the ground? Why did they let them go in the first place? The elves may have let Irenicus and Bodhi go through a mix of mercy, arrogance and disbelief. Mercy for the Queen's former lover, arrogance that they thought he could never gain access to the Tree of Life again and disbelief that he would try something as doomed to failure as to try to become a god without worshippers.

That much of the plot is pretty skewed. Or maybe Irenicus is a tad insane. :suspect:

Archived