Comments on "The Irony of Fate"

BigRob

Hi!

Ah, things are heating up now. :) So now we have Firkraag on the scene and we begin to see what is in store for our poor child of Bhaal... everyone loves an elaborately baited trap.

Don't we all :) Of course, the question that remains is whether the bait will be taken as Firkraag intends...

Interesting shift between the highly story driven Firkraag section and the characterful beginning of Lady Maria's bit of "unfaithfulness", which was merged very well into the plot itself. It makes me wonder if this is going to go on past the rapidly (?) approaching meeting between Ajantis and his wife.

I'm glad you don't think Maria's part was out-of-line. Since, being in her position myself a few times in past years (gosh am I glad now it's over), I have much sympathy for her and I intended to give her a chance to vent her anger in a story for once. It is open to your speculation how long I'll drag it out...

Thanks a lot for the reviews, BigRob, it's much appreciated :)

I am reading! Don't think I am not reading. But, as much as this part of the story has to be told, for completeness reason, it is not my vavorite, which has nothing to do with your writing, which is brilliant! It's more the (given by BGII torturing) content, and I am holding my breath until we will meet Ajantis again. I am eagerly looking foreward to! :thumbsup:

Enjoyed the Keldorn part, too, btw.

Hi Jastey!

Nice to hear from you again :thumbsup: Though I kinda had guessed that you were just waiting for Ajantis to reappear before you reviewed again :)

I'm glad you liked Keldorn's part nevertheless, and I promise more is coming (and we're getting fairly close to Ajantis showing up again). You'll just have to be patient, because I'll be away for two months, starting tomorrow. Finally going at sea for my master's data collection...

Thanks for the review, and I promise some Ajantis fiction for when I come back :)

As an update, I the latest part is looking good. The use of the Burning Hands spell in the torture was nicely creative and the descriptions of exactly what Irenicus is up to with his work summarises the whole thing elegantly. The despair our heroine feels, unlike her normal self-assuredness is also a nice bit of character realism.

Hi! I'm finally back!

As an update, I the latest part is looking good. The use of the Burning Hands spell in the torture was nicely creative and the descriptions of exactly what Irenicus is up to with his work summarises the whole thing elegantly. The despair our heroine feels, unlike her normal self-assuredness is also a nice bit of character realism.

Thank you, BigRob, first for taking time to comment, and second for saying such nice things :) It makes me a nice welcome.

I also promise a new chapter for tomorrow!

Whew, it's been a whirlwind couple of weeks, but I've finally gotten around to reading the last two parts, and I must say, it's coming along very nicely. The aftermath of Irenicus' torture, the rising of Bhaal's power and the breakdown when her final hope is dashed, all very well done.

I'm very much looking forward to future installments. Methinks the irony now approacheth with gathering speed...

Hi BigRob,

I hope the whirlwind weeks were a good kind of whirlwind :)

Well, there's still a few chapters to go, but irony's coming alright. Btw I apologize for the delay, the new chapter should have been up this week-end, but I got caught up in writing the final touches to two other fanfictions, so unfortunately Irony of Fate had to wait.

Anyway, glad to see you're still following this, and thanks a lot for reviewing!

I am still reading with great interest and anticipation for what will happen next. I am not as good in writing reviews as BigRob, all I can say is I very much like the way you describe and characterise the protagonists. Looking foreward to the next sequel!

Hi Jastey!

Don't worry about being "good" at writing reviews. In this case, it's REALLY the thought that counts :) I'm always very happy to get a review, no matter what it says (well, except senseless flaming).

Thanks for your good words, too. I'll try and stand up to those expectations of yours regarding characterization when Ajantis gets back into the story... *worried*

Thanks again for the review!

Read the latest installation a couple of days ago, but I've not had the chance to comment yet. I seem to be trapped in some permanent time sucking vortex these days.

The story's looking as good as ever. We see some of Anomen's caring side emerge in this one (well, he is always nice around noble ladies, check his banters :) ), and the description of his horror mixed with indignation at what has happened is well in character. I like the way you've given hints, but still left the specific nature of the torture to the reader's imagination, it's got far more impact that way.

Hmm, and knowing what we know about Anomen's romantic leanings in the game, this could go all triangle shaped on us...

Hi Big Rob! Nice to hear from you again. Eheh, time sucking vortex is a common feature of many people's lives. Some physicist ought to make that his thesis topic someday. :D

Of course, Anomen is always nice with noble ladies... and he's a good cleric, so I figured he had to care, even if he hides it well under big bad arrogance, to be a good healer.

I'm glad to get some support for not going to the graphic description of torture. I was half afraid to seem "cheap" or unimaginative, but I think it would have been useless to go into visual detail. I think it would have shifted focus from Ilire's trauma and Anomen's indignation to the feelings of the reader himself.

Hmm, and knowing what we know about Anomen's romantic leanings in the game, this could go all triangle shaped on us...

Eheh, you'll see, you'll see... :)

I'll try and stand up to those expectations of yours regarding characterization when Ajantis gets back into the story... *worried*
Don't! I am so curious, and looking foreward to seeing your characterisation. :)

Phew! *wipes her forehead with relief* I'll do my best nevertheless!!! :)

Archived