A question...

Pen52

If my PC is in a 'serious' relationship with Coran (*shrug* serious is a very relative term when it comes to him) whe she meets Gavin, will the romance track start at all. I'm aking because there is a distinct possibility that Coran will grow bored and dump my PC...

If that happens, does Gavin's romance kick in?

If not, I guess I'll have to start a new game.

Gavin's romance match will be made, and it will technically start, but you'll never actually get any lovetalks, because Coran's will switch it off first. *However,* if Coran dumps you, you can always use PID to ask Gavin if you can talk. From there, you should be able to restart Gavin's romance fairly easily.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Well, this is strange. :) It seems that Gavin doesn't mind the PC being in a relationship with Coran, after all. I'm getting lovetalks, flirts... you name it.

Is this a bug, or is this something that' s supposed to happen? In my opinion, it's fitting, since this is Coran (the CN version) that we are talking about, but I thought to just let you know. Just in case.

Seing *this* conflict would have been interesting. :)

Say, is there a chance that the Coran/Gavin romance conflict will play out normaly?

That doesn't sound right *at all.* And I know I used the same kill script as everybody else uses to detect a "committed" Coran romance.

I'll be having a look at that one tomorrow morning and I'll get back to you.

He really should not be flirting with you.

So enjoy it while you can.

Just make sure you're actually getting flirts and lovetalks. His friendship path isn't exactly empty.

Can you do me a favor?

I'd like the values for B!GavinRomanceActive and CoranRomancePath.

Thanks.

Can you do me a favor?

I'd like the values for B!GavinRomanceActive and CoranRomancePath.

Thanks.

Here you go...

'B!GavinRomanceActive' is at 1

and

CoranRomancePath is at 5

Take your time -- I am enjoying this. :)

And I think that I *am* getting lovetalks and flirts -- he just asked to touch the PC's face

Ah, that would explain it. Gavin's checking for a different romance path. Need to recheck the code, but I think Gavin's romance (and the BG1 NPC boys) already take Coran's capriciousness into consideration. While Coran's romance is at 2, they won't flirt, and neither will Gavin, but if it goes to 5 before Gavin joins, Coran's already been through the committed phase and has moved on, as it were, so Gavin would hit on the PC.

I need to read more about Coran's romance path, because it's possible that there could be some really glaring continuity gaps now that Coran is available earlier.

Previously, Coran would always be almost the last one anybody picked up, so Coran's romance would always approach commitment last. Now, you can get Coran at any time, and Coran's romance might have already died before Gavin (or Xan, or Ajantis) even join the party.

Oh, and all this is just really a very complicated way of saying your game is fine. Carry on.

:) Great! Thanks.

But, does this mean that Gavin and Coran won't have their romance conflict at all, or?

Coran's romance is still very much active...

I'm really enjoying Gavin's talks, by the way. :)

As long as Coran's romance has not gone inactive, you'll still get the conflict.

This is a bit of a paradox, and I'll have to talk about it with BG1 NPC romance writers. I do not think we've had to deal with this before. Usually, by the time Coran's romance starts, the other romances are already underway, so sleeping with Coran is enough to shut off other romances.

Under the circumstances you describe, Xan or Ajantis's romances would be active as well. We're all using the same code to kill romances once Coran's becomes committed. It would appear that we need to revisit this, as I do not think *any* of the three men, Xan, Ajantis, or Gavin, would actively pursue a woman who had just emerged from Coran's bedroll, even if the relationship between she and Coran was beginning to lose its appeal in Coran's eyes.

Hang on, you aren't sleeping with Coran, are you?

This is the code I'm already using. I couldn't check it while I was at work because, oddly enough, my employer objects to my installing games on my work computer. But now that I'm home, and I'm looking at the file, I see that if the PC is sleeping with Coran, Gavin's script *should* kill the romance.

Hopefully, one or more of the other romance writers will see this and weigh in on it.

IF
GlobalGT("CoranLover","GLOBAL",0)
GlobalGT("B!GavinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",0)
!Global("B!GavinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",3)
!Global("CoranRomanceInactive","GLOBAL",1)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("B!GavinRomCutByOther","GLOBAL",1)
SetGlobal("B!GavinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",3)
END

Guest Guest

No, the variable 'Coranlover' is (or, rather, was) at 1, but Gavin's romance didn't detect it, or so it seems.

Sorry for not responding before, btw. RL had me in its clutches.

Anyway, I had the conflict -- but, when Gavin popped the question, that 'killed' the Coran romance. So, everything turned out fine.

One more inane question, sorry... and then I'll be out of your hair, promise.

Gavin's quest, when does it kick in?

Is it connected with the Basilus quest? If it is, well... crap. I already finished that before I had him in the party.

Is there a global variable I can set for it to start?

Hmmm. I'll check that out when I get home, on both counts.

If CoranLover was at 1, Gavin should have butted out, but I guess I need to look at it more carefully.

As for Gavin's quest, I thought I made provision for what would happen if Bassilus was already dead, but I could be mistaken. I'll get a variable list together for you when I get home, which will be in 2.5-4 hours, depending on traffic.

OK. After looking at the files, I am forced to conclude that thinking the I have remembered to do something does not equate to actually remembering to do it.

To get Gavin's second quest rolling, you would type the following into the CLUA console.

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("B!GavinBassilusQuest","GLOBAL",5)

Unfortunately, it's going to take 5 days to see the messenger, though.

Edit by berelinde: Fix CODED

And I'm trying my darnedest to figure out why that didn't catch. He shouldn't have ever started the romance. The code for that *clearly* gives CoranLover GT 0. And I've rechecked all of the other variables.

This is the code. It isn't even complicated.

IF
GlobalGT("CoranLover","GLOBAL",0)
GlobalGT("B!GavinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",0)
!Global("B!GavinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",3)
!Global("CoranRomanceInactive","GLOBAL",1)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("B!GavinRomCutByOther","GLOBAL",1)
SetGlobal("B!GavinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",3)
END

Unless... maybe this is a case where my local copy doesn't match what was in the download. I had that problem with Xan, remember? Where I was using the wrong variable to detect a committed relationship? Maybe I had the wrong variable set for Coran, too, and fixed it when I fixed Xan's...

Time to download it to see if that's the case.

Yes, dammit! That is exactly what happened, and for the same reason.

Gah, what a jerk Gavin is, to be hitting on somebody else's girl. I had the same wrong variable in Coran's code that I had in Xan's, but I fixed it when I fixed Xan's on the local copy.

I apologize. All I can say is that version it's fixed in 1.3, and that's moving toward completion, now that the decks are cleared. Call it added incentive to get it done.

Archived