Gavin v 1.3 in the works

berelinde

Now that some of my commitments have cleared up, I'm working on the next version, which will work on Tutu or BGT.

At the present, I'm coding up all those suggestions you folks have made. So if you have any more, this would be a good time to say so.

Also, if anybody has any pearls of wisdom about BGT-specific content, I'd appreciate a heads-up. I should say that I have no intention of any cross-mod content for any of the "big mods."

Obviously, there won't be any content for the BG2 portion until there *is* BG2 content, but that one will be BGT-compatible at the outset. Gavin will depart at the end of BG1.

I'd like a friendship path to be just as long as the romance one, obviously. :) For now, I think a 'romanced' Gavin has much more content than a 'befriended' one. That is to say, Gavin still has a few friendship talks and chapter-related talks, so he is pretty well-endowed, better than Kivan and Xan and other Bioware BG1 NPCs, certainly. Other than that, the mod is pretty much complete to me.

One thing, though - I don't know where to put it, so I'll squeeze it here. When I see "released mods" on the left of the screen, Gavin isn't there - so I have to open a new window and go to the main G3 page to visit his webpage.

Obviously, I can't do anything about the board layout, as that's all HTML stuff. Sorry for the inconvenience.

In a way, I was trying to keep the befriended Gavin from turning into another Imoen: never shutting up. But I guess the PID option that lets you tell him that you'd really like some peace and quiet would prevent that, anyway. If the player wants him to shut up, all he or she has to do is tell him.

Given the fact that the BG2 version opens some possibilities to a befriended PC that I had not envisioned at the outset, covering a little more material in BG1 might not be a bad idea. Need to think about it a little bit. I wouldn't expect quite as much interaction as the romance path, though.

Well, I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but since Gavin is a cleric, it would be nice for the PC to be able to talk to him once her Bhaalspawn powers start manifesting.

I would think that it should be strange to him if a (noncleric class) PC suddenly started healing the party, curing poison and drawing on holy might... :D

Also, in the Bhaalspawn talk after reading Gorion's letter, there should be an option of snapping at Gavin. BG1 NPC Project gave that option to the PC in the same talk with Jaheira. I found that a very good adition from a roleplaying point of view, and would welcome it here. The PC can always apologize later... :(

I did love Gavin's flirts, btw. But, and this is a general suggestion, not one for Gavin's mod in particular, it would be nice if the pc initiated flirts were more than just mere action-reaction one-liners. For example, if I should happen to choose the option *kiss Gavin*, is there a way, depending on Gavin's reaction, for the PC to have a new window of options? That wasn't very clear, was it? :)

Let's say that my PC flirts with Gavin, she kisses him, he kisses her back. He, let's say keeps it brief and pulls away. That would be his reaction to her action. But, instead of stopping at that, why couldn't the PC draw him back, tackle him to the floor, tickle him... or whatever. Another action to his reaction, and so on. Depending on the flirt, there could be a lot of new options. Think of it, the PC starts by complimenting her love on his fighting skill (foe example) and a few, or a few dozen, actions later, they end up... severely hindering the party's progress. :D

I know that it would take some work, but is it possible?

I can't RP evil...I just can't do it...I feel too guilty.

Okay, except for the girdle of masculinity/femininity. :)

It's childish, I know, but I enjoy cursing my poor party with the thing and seeing what happens.

Usually none of the characters seem to notice (does that make me evil for wanting to freak my party out...?)

But I put the girdle on Gavin, and he comments, and Minsc comments about Gavin (where's Gavin?)..okay..fun's over, time to head over to the temple and get the thing removed. But after I do (evil evil) I put the thing on all party members...including the PC who is in a romance (not yet committed) with Gavin.

Gavin declares, "How could you deceive me. Did you think I would not notice you were a man?" etc...

Romance Over. :)

At first I thought Gavin was joking. I mean the PC is cursed. He can't hold it against her that she was cursed, right? Except he did. "were not right for each other.." end of story.

In the next version, is it possible to not have this kill the romance? I see Gavin as being a little more compassionate to a PC who was cursed (I mean I know it's cursed, but I'm sure the PC...er..didn't know...er....) :)

I'm impressed that Gavin noticed the sex change at all. But I guess by now modders realize that people fool around with the girdle. : )

I think in BG2 it kills romances without explanation.

But you are right. The pc is cursed and I would think he would mention it to her and then if she takes too long to "cure" herself he could say he's sorry but they must break up.

But I put the girdle on Gavin, and he comments, and Minsc comments about Gavin (where's Gavin?)..okay..fun's over, time to head over to the temple and get the thing removed. But after I do (evil evil) I put the thing on all party members...including the PC who is in a romance (not yet committed) with Gavin.

Gavin declares, "How could you deceive me. Did you think I would not notice you were a man?" etc...

Romance Over. :)

At first I thought Gavin was joking. I mean the PC is cursed. He can't hold it against her that she was cursed, right? Except he did. "were not right for each other.." end of story.

In the next version, is it possible to not have this kill the romance? I see Gavin as being a little more compassionate to a PC who was cursed (I mean I know it's cursed, but I'm sure the PC...er..didn't know...er....) :)

Yikes! I never considered that possibility. I'll put that on the list. He won't romance the PC when she's actually wearing the girdle, but he knows damn well that she's a woman.

Sorry, I somehow missed some of the earlier posts. I'll get back to them in a bit.

Well, I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but since Gavin is a cleric, it would be nice for the PC to be able to talk to him once her Bhaalspawn powers start manifesting.

I would think that it should be strange to him if a (noncleric class) PC suddenly started healing the party, curing poison and drawing on holy might... :)

Thought about it, might take it on. Need to think about it some more.

Also, in the Bhaalspawn talk after reading Gorion's letter, there should be an option of snapping at Gavin. BG1 NPC Project gave that option to the PC in the same talk with Jaheira. I found that a very good adition from a roleplaying point of view, and would welcome it here. The PC can always apologize later... :)

She gets a chance to make him grovel and beg for forgiveness. I'll take a peek, but I can't make any promises.

I did love Gavin's flirts, btw. But, and this is a general suggestion, not one for Gavin's mod in particular, it would be nice if the pc initiated flirts were more than just mere action-reaction one-liners...I know that it would take some work, but is it possible?

It's possible, of course. Will I do it? I don't know, but it's unlikely. Some of them are, in fact, more extensive, but not many. Most of that is because you have to stop writing some time, or you'll never finish.

Returning to it after a sojurn in Romantic Encounters land this afternoon, as a matter of fact.

I needed a break from Gavin for a bit to refocus. He's a fun character to write for, but very draining.

The next version of Gavin will offer the following additons:

• 1 Jolun will be at the Elfsong.
    2 Gavin will have special talks for halfling, and half-orcish ladies.
    3 The PC will be given an opportunity to see the sketchbook Reed gives Gavin, and comment on the reactions of his family to the news of his planned proposal.
    4 The PC will be given the opportunity to ask Gavin about his family's reaction to her heritage.
    5 The PC will have the opportunity to persuade Gavin to remain with her, despite her interest in other men - up until a relationship goes committed. After that, he'll back off or they will, depending on the PC's choice.
    6 Gavin's romance kills will actually work, and Ajantis will no longer resume a broken relationship with the PC if she has slept with Gavin. This is consistent with the other romances.
    7 Completing the Bassilus quest or the Mutamin quest prior to recruiting Gavin will no longer prevent the third quest from starting.
    8 Gavin's reactions to Durlyle will be more sensible.
    9 There are a couple additional banters, including one with Xan over his treatment of a half-elven PC (courtesy of Kulyok).
    10 Gavin will be traified, which will enable translations.
    11 Fix Gavin's reaction to the the PC who dons the girdle of masculinity/feminity. He really shouldn't dump the female PC just because she's having a bad day, nor should the male pc be able to start a relationship with him just because he knows how to accessorize.
    12 Fix Thugs AI. See post by DavidW for corrections.

And the biggie: Thanks to cmorgan's generous offer to help with the cross-platform conversion (in other words, he said he'd do it for me),

Gavin will be available for BGT.

Thanks, cmorgan! :)

For players who want a bit of amusement before the next version is out, I encourage you to check out Romantic Encounters. This mod offers diversions that range from platonic to tastefully erotic throughout BG2 Shadows of Amn and the Throne of Bhaal. If you're familiar with the behind-the-scenes cast of BG1 NPC Project, you'll spot entries by Kulyok, Jastey, cmorgan, and myself, as well as others.

Edit: Added color-coding to allow folks to see what's been done, and what's still left to do for the next version.

Green: written, coded and integrated

Orange: written and coded, not yet integrated

Red: still to do

Purple: on deck

Returning to it after a sojurn in Romantic Encounters land this afternoon, as a matter of fact.

I needed a break from Gavin for a bit to refocus. He's a fun character to write for, but very draining.

The next version of Gavin will offer the following additons:

• 1 Jolun will be at the Elfsong.
    2 Gavin will have special talks for dwarvish, gnomish, halfling, and half-orcish ladies.
    3 The PC will be given an opportunity to see the sketchbook Reed gives Gavin, and comment on the reactions of his family to the news of his planned proposal.
    4 The PC will be given the opportunity to ask Gavin about his family's reaction to her heritage.
    5 The PC will have the opportunity to persuade Gavin to remain with her, despite her interest in other men - up until a relationship goes committed. After that, he'll back off or they will, depending on the PC's choice.
    6 Gavin's romance kills will actually work, and Ajantis will no longer resume a broken relationship with the PC if she has slept with Gavin. This is consistent with the other romances.
    7 Completing the Bassilus quest or the Mutamin quest prior to recruiting Gavin will no longer prevent the third quest from starting.
    8 Gavin's reactions to Durlyle will be more sensible.
    9 There are a couple additional banters, including one with Xan over his treatment of a half-elven PC (courtesy of Kulyok).
    10 Gavin will be traified, which will enable translations.

And the biggie: Thanks to cmorgan's generous offer to help with the cross-platform conversion (in other words, he said he'd do it for me), Gavin will be available for BGT.

Thanks, cmorgan! :)

For players who want a bit of amusement before the next version is out, I encourage you to check out Romantic Encounters. This mod offers diversions that range from platonic to tastefully erotic throughout BG2 Shadows of Amn and the Throne of Bhaal. If you're familiar with the behind-the-scenes cast of BG1 NPC Project, you'll spot entries by Kulyok, Jastey, cmorgan, and myself, as well as others.

I was just about to write in here because I couldn't stand to see no action in the Gavin forum and guess what people have written! Anyway glad that Gavin is coming along again - soon I hope! Also I wonder if your last paragraph means RE is available for download?:)? I hope I hope I hope I hope!!! :)

After that, he'll back off or they will, depending on the PC's choice.

I didn't understand this bit, so I thought I'd ask: do you mean the already existing mechanism - "If Ajantis' romance goes to 2, Xan's romance goes to 3" in the scripts?

Archived