What race do you play when you romance Gavin?

berelinde

PC race  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gavin will sweet-talk a lady of any race who has a wisdom of 10 or better and a charisma of 12 or better, as long as she isn't a necromancer, an assassin, or a bounty hunter.

In BG1, he will only romance good-aligned females. In BG2, he will make overtures toward neutral and evil females, but to complete the romance, the PC must either be good, or have converted to good during the course of the relationship (and not by changing it with SK!)

At the moment, I'm writing race-specific lovetalks, and I want to know how many people are actually going to see these dialogues. There are several race dependant PC replies to existing lovetalks, by the way.

Edit: Yes, I know that elves and half-elves appear three times apiece in the poll. That is because I myself usually play one of the three classic romanceable races, but I know other people who simply can't bring themselves to play a human. I can pick up to 10 options, so why not take advantage of it.

Guest erik

Poor dwarves. They have exactly 0 options for romance in the unmodded game. Even half-orcs have one option.

That said, I'd probably play a human or halfling female.

For pretty much any of my BG1/BG2 runs, I'll end up playing either human, half-elf or elf. To be more particular, I tend to favor humans and half-elves the most, though I'm thinking about doing a few play-throughs with halflings soon :)

Yeah, not much love for the dwarves or gnomes of either gender, but I'm hoping to change that with Gavin. I've got a romanceable female human on deck that won't have racial requirements, either, but she's a long ways away.

I wish I could write faster. There are so many good ideas out there.

I voted human, since I pretty much always play human, unless I have an itch to go multi-class. That aside, if there are race specific dialogues, I might well try out a halfling, dwarf or half-orc, just to see what the specifics are.

Comments on <CHARNAME>'s lovely silken beard? :)

In BG1, he will only romance good-aligned females. In BG2, he will make overtures toward neutral and evil females, but to complete the romance, the PC must either be good, or have converted to good during the course of the relationship (and not by changing it with SK!)

Technical question: I install some mod after Gavin and other NPC mods(because its readme says so - for example, Virtue) , do some quest, or Virtue's much discussed and anticipated "chance for fallen paladins to redeem themselves", and during the course of the game, my alignment turns good(possibly 'turns good again'). Will I complete romance with Gavin in BG2, or will he think I used ShadowKeeper, or - how?

(Because, I should add, you cannot turn good in the unmodded game).

Oh, and I voted elves, because I play elves most of the time. But humans are there, too.

At the moment, I'm writing race-specific lovetalks, and I want to know how many people are actually going to see these dialogues. There are several race dependant PC replies to existing lovetalks, by the way.

I'm kinda like you, Berelinde, I usually play one of the three standard races (mainly because of race-restrictions, and every now and then, I love playing a monk, for example), but, for some reason, I have a strong penchant for elves (romancing Xan too often does that to you, I guess! :D ).

However, although I have never played as a half-orc, halfling or dwarf, I might give it a try to see how Gavin reacts... :)

Technical question: I install some mod after Gavin and other NPC mods(because its readme says so - for example, Virtue) , do some quest, or Virtue's much discussed and anticipated "chance for fallen paladins to redeem themselves", and during the course of the game, my alignment turns good(possibly 'turns good again'). Will I complete romance with Gavin in BG2, or will he think I used ShadowKeeper, or - how?

(Because, I should add, you cannot turn good in the unmodded game).

Oh, and I voted elves, because I play elves most of the time. But humans are there, too.

Using SK isn't actually the problem, it's choosing the replies. After the romance path is set, alignment won't be checked again until later in the relationship, after commitment, so there's no need to worry about what would happen if the PC uses SK.

When Gavin the romance begins, the path will be determined by alignment. So if you start the romance as neutral or evil, he's going to try to "redeem" the PC, which isn't the right word for a neutral PC, but he sees it that way. He's going to attempt a chance at enlightenment. Good responses will cause a variable to rise. If it gets high enough, it will cause him to launch a dialogue along the lines of "Do you really feel that way, or are you just trying to please me?" If the PC says she really believes it, her alignment will be set to good. If it's already good because of SK, nothing would change. Position on the law-chaos axis depends on starting alignment, so it would probably be best if a would-be paladin started out as something lawful.

So there isn't any reason not to use SK, but Gavin's reaction to the PC will be related to the PCs choice in dialogue, not the alignment on the character sheet.

After the pivotal LT, the one where he asks her if she believes in what she says, if the player uses SK to change back to something non-good, though, he'll react accordingly.

If the PC decides to tell Gavin that she doesn't really believe it, that she was just telling him that to make him happy, there would be no change, but Gavin would simply not take the uncommitted relationship to the next step. He would feel compelled to end the relationship, preferring to leave her free to pursue someone who might better fulfil her needs.

Gavin won't appeal to everyone. There are plenty of people that aren't going to want his interferance. If the PC tells him to mind his own business, he'll understand, but he'll also keep his opinions to himself.

Not exactly. It's more that a *non-good* PC must establish that she is willing to act for the good and then answer in a particular way in a certain LT.

For a PC that is already good-aligned, the romance will proceed normally, with the understanding that if she shows evil tendencies, she'll offend him and might actually force him to leave. That part will look a lot like BG1, although the lovetalks will be different.

However, although I have never played as a half-orc, halfling or dwarf, I might give it a try to see how Gavin reacts... :)

If you want a preview, go check the pinned "bugfixes and coming attractions" thread. There's a potential path through a lovetalk for a half-orc posted.

Well..in NWN2 I'm playing as an Aasimar, but as that is not a choice in BG2 I chose half-elf (okay, once I played as an elf so I could romance Xan, but otherwise half-elf).

And the LT preview of Gavin's (for a half-orc PC) just reinforces what a sweetie Gavin is...*sigh* :)

If you want a preview, go check the pinned "bugfixes and coming attractions" thread. There's a potential path through a lovetalk for a half-orc posted.

Yes, I saw, but I didn't want to post in a "pinned" topic, didn't want to clutter it up too much. :( ('cuz that's all my posts usually do, right? :) ).

Anyway, so it's time for some constructive posting! :D I really liked that dialog, and I was absolutely full of admiration, because I cannot even begin to try to imagine what it must be like to write dialog for a half-orc PC. :D What I'm tryuing to say is that it looks hard, and I think you've done a terrific job of it. And Gavin just stays so nicely in character with those little things that make him seem hesitant (i.e. "I should not be so forward", "Please forgive me. I talk too much"). It makes him so lovable... ;)

Anyway, I would have to agree with SMichelle in the sense I too, have a fondness for half-elves when playing BG2 as they have a tendency to blend the best of human and elves in my eyes. Of course, that's when I'm not playing a monk that I SK'd to being an elf, and whose stats I beefed up with crtl+alt+8 (yes, I know, I should be ashamed of myself for cheating so unscrupulously :D ).

Heh. I've got a few CTRL-8ed characters too :)

If I'm playing for fun, I don't care much about the challenges, because it's the NPC dialogue I want to see. If I'm testing the dialogue, not only do I use one of those characters, I also CTRL-Y through combat if it looks like it will take too long. If I'm testing the quests, or testing the balance, though, I play it straight. I'm an average player at best with no head for strategy. If I can get through it on "hard" setting, it's probably about right.

I think I always play human, elf or half-elf. Good thing there are no half-orcs bothering Gavin. :) Seems he wouldn't mind, but you would, admit it! :D

I don't like romances requiring the PC to be of certain race, but when I look at all of them...I don't regret adding the race restriction to mine.

Archived