Wine: Application requests Mozilla ActiveX control

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

When installing the Fixpack under wine, I get a message about the app requesting an ActiveX control and Mozilla ActiveX not being installed. Wine gives me the option of downloading that, however nothing happens (probably not implemented in wine.) So I deny, and the installation hangs.

I read up on the matter and it seems that I would need to install the Windows version of Mozilla, some dlls from MS and the MozActiveX control.

I am SO not going to install Windows mozilla here... why is it requesting that? That doesn't make any sense (and it's pretty Linux/wine unfriendly.)

From the search function it seems that some are using wine (windows "emulator") here to run BG, so my question is, what's the solution?

Can I install the fixpack (and tweakpack etc) under wine? I mean I can run TOB without problems, it should be possible to install some patches!

Is it possible to somehow do it manually? I assume it involves dropping stuff into the override folder?

Help me please... I'd really like to install this.

:-(

I use wine to run the game, but to install and uninstall mods I usually download the Mac version of the mod (or, if unavailable, the Windows one), convert it to Linux, and install using WeiDU native for Linux. I wrote up something about porting mods to Linux here, but it's far too confusing to be very useful.

Guest guest

interesting.

I didn't know there was weidu for linux. It's worth a shot.

I unrared the self-extracting exe successfully and tried running

"wine Setup-bg2fixpack.exe" in the BG2 directory.

It says it can't find CHITIN.KEY which is stupid. It's right there.

It also can't find SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2 even after symlinking to the BG2 dir and experimenting with uppercase etc.

sigh.

I'll probably try the WeiDU Linux method from the thread you linked to. I only need the Fixpack and maybe some stuff from the Tweakpack.

Thanks for replying.

Guest guest
Do yourself a favor and use weidu linux it works great and will save you alot of gray hairs.

Hmmm... have to recompile because the binaries look for the wrong glibc version. Who uses glibc 2.4? :-D

Anything I should watch out for? I run tolower in the BG2 directory, then do "WeiDU XXX.tp2" right? Something along those lines?

Does tolower work recursively?

thanks guys, glad I'm not alone! I suddenly feel warm and fuzzy in this cold Windows world.

tolower (yes to both choices); copy WeiDU and WeInstall in /usr/bin (or other directory in $PATH); after that, WeInstall name-of-mod (E.G. WeInstall bg2_tweaks or WeInstall bg2fixpack) and install at leisure.

The official WeiDU-Linux is always compiled under the latest unstable *Ubuntu (right now I'm running Gutsy, for instance). I use OCaml 3.09.2, gcc 4.1.3 and libc 2.5.5.

If you still need to recompile WeiDU, you'll need build-essentials (= gcc, make...) ocaml-native-compilers, hevea, tetex-extra. The targets you'll need are make weidu weinstall tolower.

Guest guest

Please disregard my comment about glibc versions. I just noticed that I didn't update my system properly on this computer and got the glibc 2.4 message because of that.

Now I'm embarrassed :-)

Thanks for your efforts.

Guest guest

Well, it's working. Sort of.

1. With the fixpack, I get a "parse error at line 26365". After commenting out that bugfix, it worked. Seems strange to me.

2. With the tweakpack, the "restore SoA loading screen" fix doesn't work. It copies some files and then says "no permission: soascreens.bat." Well of course, this isn't DOS! The SoA loading screen would be nice. Any way to do it manually? I have no idea what a DOS "attrib" command means.

3. You rock.

2. With the tweakpack, the "restore SoA loading screen" fix doesn't work. It copies some files and then says "no permission: soascreens.bat." Well of course, this isn't DOS! The SoA loading screen would be nice. Any way to do it manually? I have no idea what a DOS "attrib" command means.

it's chmod. However, there's a .sh equivalent of the bat, but it isn't called due to a bug in the tp2.

For Cam (and you): change

// then invoke shell scripts to delete the override versions, forcing the game to use the SoA versions in the biffs
ACTION_IF ("%WEIDU_ARCH%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "x86" = 0) THEN BEGIN // if Windows
 AT_NOW ~BG2_Tweaks/soascreens.bat~
END ELSE BEGIN
 AT_NOW ~sh BG2_Tweaks/soascreens.sh~
END

with

// then invoke shell scripts to delete the override versions, forcing the game to use the SoA versions in the biffs
ACTION_IF ("%WEIDU_OS%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "win32" = 0) THEN BEGIN // if Windows
 AT_NOW ~BG2_Tweaks/soascreens.bat~
END ELSE BEGIN
END

(that is, check for the OS rather than the architecture. WeiDU Linux is still x86 but it should be working with the OSX-style stuff).

Or ADD_MEMORIZED_SPELL doesn't exist in the latest Linux port

I compile and work from Linux, so if anything it's more likely that the Windows port is out of sync :)

Guest guest

Oh. Then I'm probably using the Windows version, because that script isn't there. Anyway, I can just delete them manually.

Or ADD_MEMORIZED_SPELL doesn't exist in the latest Linux port

Well I used version 196 or 197 I think. It should be considered to add a WeiDU version check to the tp2 file so it gives a proper error message if user doesn't have the required version.

But no problem, I emerged system in the meantime, so I can update to the latest WeiDU version.

Tweakpack maintainers might want to add the .sh file to the Windows version, too, in case a Linux guy/girl decided to download that.

Another question: Is it possible that a large Override folder can slow down the game? It seems to definitely run faster with no patches installed (except TOB, which seemed to speed it up from SoA.)

Oh. Then I'm probably using the Windows version, because that script isn't there. Anyway, I can just delete them manually.

I believe it's there, and you should have downloaded the Mac version anyway :)

Well I used version 196 or 197 I think. It should be considered to add a WeiDU version check to the tp2 file so it gives a proper error message if user doesn't have the required version.

Both Windows and Mac versions are shipped with a WeiDU version new enough to install the mod, and experience tells that if something works on Windows nobody notices a flaw in either Mac or Linux, hence modders won't bother adding some sort of WEIDU_VERSION statement.

But no problem, I emerged system in the meantime, so I can update to the latest WeiDU version.

The latest binary & source is always available from http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg. I don't think that Gentoo keeps an up-to-date version of WeiDU, so I wouldn't trust an 'emerge update' too much.

Another question: Is it possible that a large Override folder can slow down the game? It seems to definitely run faster with no patches installed (except TOB, which seemed to speed it up from SoA.)

I have 512 Mb of RAM and a 600 Mb override directory doesn't slow the game noticeably - troubles usually start around the 1Gb mark for most people. File count isn't an issue, unless you use a FAT file system, and even then the only difference would be a much longer load time for BG2.

Guest Guest

Thanks again.

Gentoo doesn't have _any_ WeiDU version :-) It's not too hard to unpack and copy some small files, anyway.

You're all very friendly. Great community!

Archived