Fixpack and Saved Games - newbiesh questions.

Guest Claus

Guest Claus

Hello there!

Sorry for the maybe obvious question, this is my first time playing BG2. And the first time trying to install a mod.

I have a basic installation of BG2+ToB+official patch, and was planning to do a single "vanilla playthrough", before installing any mods. But after reading through the change list of the Fixpack, I decided I'd try it as well for my first game. (specially the dialogue fixes for the later part of the game)

Problem is: I'm somewhat into the game already (late chapter two, about 20 game hours), so I wonder if I could enjoy the benefits of the fixes, while still continuing my current game.

I installed the official patch only after completing Irenicus Dungeon (didn't know about it until I ran into the "NPC appears busy" bug), and it worked fine on my savegame... so do I need to restart the game after installing the Fixpack?

Thanks!

I don't think the Fixpack requires that you start a new game, so you can install it and continue playing as you are. However, if you intend to try out the vanilla game first, I'd recommend you against installing it on this playthrough.

I have a basic installation of BG2+ToB+official patch, and was planning to do a single "vanilla playthrough", before installing any mods. But after reading through the change list of the Fixpack, I decided I'd try it as well for my first game. (specially the dialogue fixes for the later part of the game)

I've been browsing Game Text Update component of the Fixpack fairly extensively recently, and quite a few changes are, basically, just making PC replies/dialogue lines longer and more explicit for whatever reason - I know I wouldn't install this component again.

Guest Guest
I don't think the Fixpack requires that you start a new game, so you can install it and continue playing as you are.

Thank you for the reply!

However, if you intend to try out the vanilla game first, I'd recommend you against installing it on this playthrough. I've been browsing Game Text Update component of the Fixpack fairly extensively recently, and quite a few changes are, basically, just making PC replies/dialogue lines longer and more explicit for whatever reason - I know I wouldn't install this component again.

I see... I was thinking about installing only the "core fixes" components, but I'll leave it for my second playthrough then :-)

Archived