Romance Mods

Strontium Dog

Hello,

I've currently downloaded the Shar-Teel romance mod. However, I unfortunately wanted to check at what speed I'd installed the romance mod at, and, in the process, even though I seemed to press the right buttons, the weidu installer uninstalled and reinstalled every single mod. Anyway, I reinstalled with the 15-minute speed, but it doesn't seem to have activated yet. What I want to know is how to activate the Shar-teel Romance Mod via Shadowkeeper - don't I have to put a value of "1" next to a particular line of code in the "affects" section of each savegame within ShadowKeeper? If so, which line is it?

First, check that your Weidu.log file has a line

~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #11 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content)

and it doesn't have "Recently uninstalled" in front of it.

If it is so, you're cool, and you really don't need anything else, as long as your character has high CHA and STR, is evil, true neutral, or chaotic neutral, is not a halfling, and your reputation is low.

CLUAConsole:AdvanceRealTime(999999) usually helps if you are tired of waiting. The first dialogue happens on rest, but save often - Shar-Teel likes her men strong, and is rather hard to please. :)

Thanks. What I now need is a way to circumvent the low-reputation requirement for the Shar-Teel Romance. In order to get max EXP, I unfortunately need to do a lot of quests which have a good-aligned result which also usually leads to gains in reputation points(well, OK,sometimes I can do the evil option instead, but that always leads to lower EXP, which is grossly unfair). While I can't change the game in the way I want(not knowing how to mod), I would be most interested if someone knows how to get rid of this reputation restriction - I could, of course, use shadowkeeper endlessly but it just seems so artificial.

Lastly, I seem, quite recently, to be getting a bug where the game crashes to desktop each time I rest - I'm in chapter 3 near Beregost. Has anyone come across this? I could sort it out partially by clicking an option on ShadowKeeper which refreshes the spells of my spells each time I save, but that would still leave my PCs fatigued. Or perhaps someone could tell me how to get rid of the fatigue effect with the use of ShadowKeeper? That would spoil the Romance mod, and much of the new dialogue of the BG1NPC mod, but would allow me to play the game to the end, at least.

Yes, Beregost crash is a problem, has been for some time. Ascension64 has released a Beregost Crash Fixer, but it only works with saved games, and I don't know if it works with TUTU saves properly:

http://forums.spellholdstudios.net/index.php?showtopic=24121

I'd recommend making a save before entering Beregost Area - that's what I am doing. There is no way around it, unfortunately.

Re: reputation. Heh. :) That's roleplaying for you, yes. There is a new component in a BG1 NPC Project, called Bardic Reputation(or something close) - bards stand in inns all around the Sword Coast, and you can pay them to _decrease_ your reputation. You'll have to PM cmorgan for a link, though.

Or good old method: go into a house, kill an innocent. Actually, this way you get even more XP and money. Do you know this guy in Nashkel who gives you quests on bounties? Well, you could give him emeralds, then charm him, lure him away from the center of the city, slaughter him, and he'll have 2700 gold and four emeralds - not bad, eh?

And if you are getting a crash on rest using Beta 3, it may be that you have run into a problem with an NPC that is trying to talk to you at rest but is not present (we fixed this internally - some folks get it, some don't, but we made it go away) - if you give us the weekend, there is a new internal version that we are bugfixing, and addresses this problem. PM me and I will send you a link :)

And if you are getting a crash on rest using Beta 3, it may be that you have run into a problem with an NPC that is trying to talk to you at rest but is not present (we fixed this internally - some folks get it, some don't, but we made it go away) - if you give us the weekend, there is a new internal version that we are bugfixing, and addresses this problem. PM me and I will send you a link :)

Yes, I figured it was due to something like that - I have no problems reloading my savegames around Beregost, as such(which is just as well as it's been impossible to install the Beregost crash-fixer, even with Java run-time on my PC). I'll send a PM-reminder Monday-ish once you've got a new hotfix under way. Thanks a lot!

Or good old method: go into a house, kill an innocent. Actually, this way you get even more XP and money. Do you know this guy in Nashkel who gives you quests on bounties? Well, you could give him emeralds, then charm him, lure him away from the center of the city, slaughter him, and he'll have 2700 gold and four emeralds - not bad, eh?

I suppose I could go back to killing innocents but it's just a bit boring. But the trouble is BG1 and BG2 are, all in all, hopeless games if you want to do genuine, in-depth roleplaying of evil characters.

By the way, I've been thinking of doing an in-depth Cthulhu-style mod for BG2(set in Watcher's Keep?) What resources/game-engine-tools/software would I need for that, exactly, out of curiosity?

I am afraid it wouldn't be a hotfi - it would be a whole new mod, rebuilt from the ground up. We recoded lots of it, changed some behaviors - so you would have to start over to enjoy it :D.

As for a Cthulhu mod, you would want to get WeiDU and begin doing some background reading (wait - Strontium Dog, aren't you a modder? I have seen your name around various fora for a long time -- if this is stuff you already know, I apologise in advance :) ). The good news is that if you are focusing on Watcher's Keep, you have solved a bunch of things by basicalyy modding ToB. The tough news is you are going to want Near Infinity, DLTCEP, and WeiDU to be your friend - and that takes some heavy reading, experimenting, and lots of tutorial reading at G3, SHS, and PPG (and perhaps some backup reading at CoM and BWL).

DLTCEP looked horribly scary to me, but in th end, it took me only one evening to learn how to modify areas in DLTCEP - and the hardest part of Near Infinity is installing Java. Mostly, it is very simple: you write the dialogue, copy and paste creatures, and steal somebody else's scripts - and keep doing that until you actually realize that your own scripts work even better. :)

Download the Longer Road from SHS - it has a quest set in the Watcher's Keep. Then download http://infexp.sourceforge.net/ - and you're all set for the time being. If you are okay with reading somebody else's code and reading the game's files, everything else will become a piece of cake shortly. And there're folks to help, too.

Thanks for the modding info. I'm actually a total newbie to modding.

One other thing:- I tried resting again around the temple east of Beregost - this time, it worked, but I then found that my PCs had the "thieving"(mask) function constantly turned on and highlighted - I was unable to switch to another function during this time, and the cursor constantly switched from the "sword" icon to the thieving icon when I tried to use my characters to attack hostile NPCs in the area. Hopefully, it's all tied in with the resting bug, in some way.

That one sounds like a scripting error, and we don't do any scripting like that for party-joinables...

Actually, I've tried once more, today, and it worked fine - I suppose my PC just needed some rest .I bought my hopeless computer from a very dodgy company a couple of years ago, just before the company went bust, and the PC has only 128 MB RAM - ah well, things will change once I get that gaming-machine in July - I'll still want that resting bug-fix, just in case, though, so I'll send a PM re this, in due course.

Ack I don't know if this is where I should ask a sort of spoiler question but I was thinking of Ajantis. I'm new to these forums and can't remember where but I'm sure I read that somebody is working on a Ajantis romance for SOA. But since he isn't in your party at the beginning of SOA I guess he dumps pc in BG1. I just want some opinions on whether his romance is worth pursuing in BG1 or if I would really be better off just loving Xan or Gavin. At least I know that you can have them for the rest of the games. I'm sorry if this is a dumb or bad question to ask but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Jastey was the romance writer for BG1 Ajantis, and she does have a BG2 romance in the works. It is not quite done yet, but is well underway. In any case, it will certainly be done before BG2 Gavin, which is barely started.

Xan for BG2 is available at PPG, and is quite good. :)

Glad you're enjoying the BG1 NPC Project romances (and Gavin) enough to want to pursue them in BG2! :)

Hi Ankhesenpaaten, thank you for your interest in Ajantis romance. As berelinde said, Ajantis BGII is not finished yet. But what is for sure is that he is not ending the romance at the end of BG1. What will happen is that the reunition of him and the PC didn't work the way they both planned (she got captured, he was sent away by the Order)...

Archived