Transferring BG1 NPCs to BG2?

Guest Morgoth

Guest Morgoth

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I can't seem to find the answer to this question anywhere.

Is it possible to transfer NPCs from your party in BG1 into BG2 in some way?

I would really like to use some familiar charactes from BG1 in Baldur's gate 2 - such as Tiax, Xzar, Montaron and Yeslick and maybe Quayle.

I know there's the darkest days mod that adds Montaron, Xzar and maybe Yeslick, but I don't really want anything as invasive as that with regards to the rest of the game.

I know also that there is a Tiax mod, and it looks good and simple, and he has some banter, but the problem is, Tiax is only available in spellhold. I want Tiax earlier on in the game, such that I might quickly benefit from his astonishing greatness.

I just really want to be able to have the characters as playable, simple NPCs, with the same sound set, and decent amounts of experience and skills.

I think I read a post somewhere where they suggested it was possible to somehow extract characters from BG1 and put them in BG2, but they didn't suggest how to do it.

The easiest way I think is to simply create them in the Multiplayer and download the soundsets (which I think are available on Sorcerer's place.)

There was a simple pack that added BG1NPCs one by one in BG2 Override folder, but I don't think it's available any more. It was one of the oldests mods. If I had BG1, I'd extracted the CRE's for you and added a small script from BG1NPC that reassigns the soundfiles, it's really no biggie.

If you know how to use NI, find the CREs you want, extract them, place in your Override and summon via CLUA.

What you can also do:

Tiax:

Install Tiax and ask Kulyok nicely for its CRE name, and summon him in game early with a CluaConsole. Ask her if it would break your game in SPellhold or you can simply ignore the double later.

Already answered :)

Yeslick:

There is one at the Chosen of Mystra iirc, try to talk the author in giving you whatever version of the mod he has just for the CRE.

Xzar and Montaron - do the same, only with the author of the Mod for the Whicked.

Quayle: Summon Quayle via CluaConsole and Ctrl+Q him in the party. I think he actually has most of his soundset on him already.

Hope that helps :D

Okay, hold on, I think I can raid the Darkest Day for you and make a mini-patch with NPCs only and w/o of the remaining 100 megs of darkness.

(doesn't that just scream to you I have some finikie modding and don't want to do it?)

Here we go, this has TDD CREs for Kagain, Shar-Teel, Yeslick, Xzar and Montaron with soundfiles. They are adjusted to act as multiplayer characters and come at the levels and with the kits introduced by TDD (ie it was not me who turned Monty into a Squashbuckler!) or introduced them at level 13! If someone can send me CREs from BG1 - TUTU on the highest levels availables, that would be a much more reasonable alternative.

http://members.shaw.ca/gorion/BG1Mule.rar

Guest Morgoth
Here we go, this has TDD CREs for Kagain, Shar-Teel, Yeslick, Xzar and Montaron with soundfiles. They are adjusted to act as multiplayer characters and come at the levels and with the kits introduced by TDD (ie it was not me who turned Monty into a Squashbuckler!) or introduced them at level 13! If someone can send me CREs from BG1 - TUTU on the highest levels availables, that would be a much more reasonable alternative.

http://members.shaw.ca/gorion/BG1Mule.rar

Oh wow, I didn't expect to get such a quick response, and such a helpful one! Thanks so much for making this patch for me, that is basically exactly what I wanted! I've been trying to figure out how to export and import those .cre files but you just made me one that worked fine instantly!

Oh and I didn't realise that the maker of the mod which reintroduces the great Tiax to BG2 posted here! Thanks for remaking him, Kulyok, I totally missed his brilliance whilst playing BG2. You don't think cluaconsoling him in will cause any difficulties if I was to get the game to the spellhold place where the 'proper game' Tiax might be held? I like that I can speak to Tiax!

As to class and levels I've been mucking around with them in a save game editor. I'm pretty new to that sort of thing: would there likely be any repercussions to, say, making lower level versions of the characters with different hit points, or changing Montaron's class in a certain save game with the hope of continuing from there with those stats? I also want to cheat a bit (more?) and give Tiax strength enough so that he can actually wear platemail.

Thanks again for your help!

Oh and I didn't realise that the maker of the mod which reintroduces the great Tiax to BG2 posted here! Thanks for remaking him, Kulyok, I totally missed his brilliance whilst playing BG2. You don't think cluaconsoling him in will cause any difficulties if I was to get the game to the spellhold place where the 'proper game' Tiax might be held? I like that I can speak to Tiax!

No problem. Just don't pay attention when he spawns the second time - if he will.

As to class and levels I've been mucking around with them in a save game editor. I'm pretty new to that sort of thing: would there likely be any repercussions to, say, making lower level versions of the characters with different hit points, or changing Montaron's class in a certain save game with the hope of continuing from there with those stats? I also want to cheat a bit (more?) and give Tiax strength enough so that he can actually wear platemail.

I think you'll be fine either way.

By the way, Domi, I think your mod can become more popular than you think. Maybe adding other .cre files, announcing it and hosting it somewhere is not a bad idea, after all...

I'd add other CRE files, if I had TUTU installed, and I would have prefered not-TDD CREs, but TUTU CREs at lower levels. Basically it would have been nice to get all the CREs for all the chars that are not upgraded to normal BG2 NPCs, clean up their dialogues and overrides, pilfer soundfiles from SP, pilfer the sound file assignment from BG1NPC, and you have yourself a healty set of mules.

Guest Morgoth
I'd add other CRE files, if I had TUTU installed, and I would have prefered not-TDD CREs, but TUTU CREs at lower levels. Basically it would have been nice to get all the CREs for all the chars that are not upgraded to normal BG2 NPCs, clean up their dialogues and overrides, pilfer soundfiles from SP, pilfer the sound file assignment from BG1NPC, and you have yourself a healty set of mules.

I just installed BG Tutu, but the problem with the NPCs from that is their proficencies are changed, and in some cases, they have a lot less hit points than is desirable. For example, for some ungodly reason, Montaron's proficiencies have been moved from missile weapons and onto axes and sword and shield style. He usually comes with two points on missile weapons (for a crossbow) even at level 2, and I always used him with a crossbow. Kagain has also got 2 proficiencies in two weapon style instead of other things. With his low dexterity I think sword and shield would be better. The level 6 Xzar has a measly 12 hit points, when at that stage he could theoretically have a maximum of 24.

I consoled in the highest level versions of various characters I wanted to use and, using Shadowkeeper, I managed to create an edited version of the TUTU Montaron, Xzar, Tiax etc, with their maximum hit points (or as close as I could manage), and the proficiencies I want them to have. Most are level 5, 6 or 5/6.

I had thought of actually replacing the BG Tutu CRE files with my edited versions so that I could play BG Tutu in future with the versions of the characters I want . I tried it with Montaron (overwriting _MONTAR6.CRE), only I have the problem that, instead of launching into his 'greeting' dialog, when I meet him, he acts as if I'd just kicked him from the party.

I edited the CRE file in nearinfinity to have the dialog file 'montar.dlg' instead of montarj.dlg' or something, but it didn't work.

Any ideas how I could fix it so that he acts as though he's not met me yet? I imagine it's happening because I had him join the party in order to edit him with shadowkeeper.

Of course.. I would also like to get these versions of the characters (or similar) into BG2.

Would you be interested in exported .CRE files, from Tutu, for the BG1 NPCs not in BG2?

Archived