Should I give a try or it is pointless?

Mayro

Ok, first hi to everyone. I'm new at G3 and have just about started to think in making a mod, a npc mod. The problem is that I have no idea of coding, AT ALL. My profession is not related to computers, I have never studied programming and have never used a computer appart from users level: eMule, playing games, using office, listening music, etc...

So, is it totally worthless to try and make a mod? I know that cases have been done when someone writes the entire story and some other codes it (Fade npc mod for example) but I don't really want to depend on otre person's free time. I myself will have to postpone any try until I finish my studies at university (hopefully this September) and then until I find a job and start working I would like to write and make a mod. I know that given the case of me being able to code something, it will probably take one or two years (between real life bussiness and code learning) to make it. I don't really care for that. What really makes me doubt is: Downloading the tutorials (from here and from other communities), downloading a one-day npc and looking through its code, and asking modders (here and in other sites) will I, a complete noob, be able to make something decent?

I'm a bit silly when I start doing something new (from playing a game to driving my car) but when I learn how to do something I do it decently. The problem is that I have to practise a lot until I learn.

I'm not talking about creating new areas, new creatures or something very very complicated. I'm talking about a normal npc, as much similar to Bioware's ones as possible. And then, if I'm able to do it, try something more complicated.

Thanks in advance and please, be totally sincere with me and as blunt as you are capable of. I don't want to start something I'm not able to finish.

Mayro

I

Just do it.

If you have an idea you love, build it, even if it is just for yourself.

I'm a music teacher with the only computer programming work ever attempted before this being BASIC programs in high school; no experience other than a player.

It maybe frustrating at times, bt helping create (or creating) mods is like the ultimate combination of brain stretching language learning, jigsaw puzzle, crafting, and playing your favorite game.

Plus you get to make things work the way *you* see the game (to the extent that you can within the engine!)

What really makes me doubt is: Downloading the tutorials (from here and from other communities), downloading a one-day npc and looking through its code, and asking modders (here and in other sites) will I, a complete noob, be able to make something decent?

Able to, certainly. Finish? I don't know. Let's say: "If you really want it, you won't be able not to finish it". (And you speak good English, too).

Oh, and I'd download Tiax code(it is the most recent One-Day NPC, and I can personally vouch for the quality of coding :) ) and just insert your own dialogue, for starters. Then I'd play with the scripts. Then I'd think about changing the .cre file. And before long, I'd have a ready mod on the table, or wherever.

Starting with a completed mod is a good first step; but what if you want to do something with your NPC that isn't coded? The available tutorials are spread out (i.e located at several mod sites) and usually cover only the basics. Expect to spend considerable time reading, and you will eventually post "how do I..." questions in the mod forums. There may be times when you feel overwhelmed, like I have; but I think you are looking at this very practically. I've been working on mine almost a year now and it's turning out differently than when I started. That's to be expected, I guess.

Starting with a completed mod is a good first step; but what if you want to do something with your NPC that isn't coded?

What would you want to do with a basic NPC("a normal npc, as much similar to Bioware's ones as possible", as the original poster have said) that is not covered in Tiax or Xan? :)

Well, the only thing I can think of is that they will be traified, and I am not sure any tutorial covers adequately the connection between D and TRA, and let's face it, seeing tra'fied version before yoiu have a hang of D is a bit intimidating. I for my part found Gareth useless because of that back in the days I learned to code.

Another stumbling block that I find was not adequately covered by tuts was the connection between the script and the dialogue.

It isn't pointless.

In real life, I'm a 30+ year old chemist with absolutely *no* prior computer experience. On a good day, I could log on to the network at work, and thought I was so smart for figuring out how to use basic arithmetic functions in MS Excel.

When I started work on Gavin, I knew nothing at all about code. The first alpha was really scary. He was out as a public release four months later.

You need to find help in the form you understand best. Some people need a lot of personal hand-holding. Others prefer a tutorial. Personally, I learned the most by reading other people's code. At first, it was simply mimicking what I saw elsewhere, but after a little bit of that, I understood it well enough to have a try at some of the more complicated things.

I would *not* use Gavin as a source for code, though. He was a first attempt, so his code is a lot more complicated than it needs to be, and there's still a bug in the kill script for the romances.

For those of us who don't work with computers every day, the tendency is to make things more complicated than they need to be. So starting small is a good idea.

Starting with a completed mod is a good first step; but what if you want to do something with your NPC that isn't coded?

What would you want to do with a basic NPC("a normal npc, as much similar to Bioware's ones as possible", as the original poster have said) that is not covered in Tiax or Xan? :)

Even a basic NPC needs an intro :) Okay, so mine wasn't your ordinary "stand somewhere until they notice you" kind. :) However, Mayro did say...

I'm a bit silly when I start doing something new (from playing a game to driving my car) but when I learn how to do something I do it decently. The problem is that I have to practise a lot until I learn.

And that is what came to mind.

BTW, it was longest time before anyone mentioned the IESDP (and that in itself took a while to comprehend). :) What is the average time-to-alpha for an NPC mod?

BTW, it was longest time before anyone mentioned the IESDP (and that in itself took a while to comprehend). :) What is the average time-to-alpha for an NPC mod?

Somewhere between 4 days (Garfield's Hagen) and 6 years :)

Guest erik
BTW, it was longest time before anyone mentioned the IESDP (and that in itself took a while to comprehend).

Well, I'd compare the IESDP with the periodic table of the elements. Not something you understand until you have some basics in hand, but very handy and encyclopaedic when you do.

Somewhere between 4 days (Garfield's Hagen) and 6 years :)

6 years? For an NPC? That must be one heck of a mod. :)

Thank you all people for your kind and encouraging words. I'll definetly give it a try and even if I don't actually understand a lot of things of the code: variables, state checks, etc... I've been reading through some mods codes and at least I'm not too scared of them, and that's a start point, no?

I'll be there as much as I can and will start asking soon, and although I have the story I want on my mind I will take suggestions. I want to make a mod, first for myself and also for all the people here and in other sites.

Another question I want to ask is that how exact must a mod have to be to the Faerunian world to be accepted? Another rock in my shoes is that I've never played D&D until Baldur's Gate. Nor that I want to create a complete freak of a mod, or a son of Zeus or something, but I would also need knowledge of Faerun. Where can I find it?

Bye and thanks again!

Archived