Should I give a try or it is pointless?

Mayro

... except that Ghareth is not traified.

It must have been Kelsey then? I just can't remember now.

but I would also need knowledge of Faerun. Where can I find it?

Basically quick thematic searches on Wiki usually net great results nowadays. Searching the internet in general had become pretty useful in general in the past years for FR lore.

There is no generic "where do I go to learn all there is to learn about Faerun" place, that knowledge would come only with reading a gazillion campaign setting books.

But for what you generally need for a mod, Wiki + asking lore questions is usually enough to supply your character with a believable background.

Another question I want to ask is that how exact must a mod have to be to the Faerunian world to be accepted? Another rock in my shoes is that I've never played D&D until Baldur's Gate. Nor that I want to create a complete freak of a mod, or a son of Zeus or something, but I would also need knowledge of Faerun. Where can I find it?

Some locales and personalities in Faerun have had novels written, providing background on them. A hard lesson I learned; having written a backstory for my NPC, only to find out a personality was no longer living and the setting destoyed. :)

I'm on my 3rd draft.

Another question I want to ask is that how exact must a mod have to be to the Faerunian world to be accepted? Another rock in my shoes is that I've never played D&D until Baldur's Gate.

Join the club. :)

I think the first point is everything you write shouldn't contradict what you find in the game, because first and foremost, it is about the game.

And the second point, if you are going to write about ABCD, I'd enter "ABCD" in Google and Wikipedia and read all relevant links on the first three pages. At least, that's what I've done with moonblades, Evereska and some other stuff. Takes not more than a day, though some reading is quite entertaining.

And most important of all(I know, PDF sucks, but still) - free downloads by Wizards of the Coast, who own all the rights to the Faerunian world:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

So, your only exposure to the game is through CRPGs? I wonder how many others have a similar experience? I quit playing PnP after college. There's something to be said for playing the old-fashioned way with a bunch of friends: the improvisation and rapport with other players is priceless. :)

But I digress.

I played PnP D&D for 30 years, but I'd never touched Forgotten Realms lore until I started writing Gavin. It was educational.

And if I can't find something on the 'net or through asking on forums, I make it up, within reason.

I have only played P&P games for a year or so and that was two years ago. The game I played was a spanish rpg called "Aquelarre" and has nothing to do with D&D. My point asking was because I know that there are lots of purist Faerunian guys who would came to me with stakes if I sit my character background or abylities on a totally unexisting place even if in Baldur's Gate Shadows of Amn those "unexisting places" are not mentioned at all and I could just invent them.

@Eirikthescald: I plan to play D&D just when I finish university and have enough (I hope) free time to do so.

@Kulyok: you don't know how relaxed you left me after reading your post. Seeing how well (at least for me) Xan's mod is about Moonblades, Evereska and such stuff I tought while playing it that you were a D&D expert. Now I feel I can make a good mod (story wise) without having played for 30 years like Berelinde.

Guest Tempest

Plain and simple: if you've got an idea, and are willing to try, do it!

I started work on Darian with absolutely zero knowledge of coding, but he's coming along very well. Don't hesitate to ask on forums if you have questions, no matter how stupid: you can't learn if you don't ask, and I've never once heard a discouraging or hostile answer. For FR lore, you can get a good start just by hopping over to wikipedia. No one's expecting perfection from your mod, especially your first foray into the morass. If you think it's a good idea and worth doing, do it.

Do or do not, there is no try. If you really want to do this and have no intention to quit no matter what obstacles you may run into, by all means make it happen. I have seen many mods fall by the wayside because people had many "great ideas", but never came through with them.

Archived