Female Gnome Avatars

Domi

Do you want PC Female Wizard Gnome Avatar Switched From a Male Dwarf to a Female Elf?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Guest
Only BioWARE in its drive to cut the costs could have f'd up so badly as to call *this* a LADY. Yeah, I know, Gaider hates gnomes, but that's with all due respect is a tad too much.

Just for the record, while indeed Bioware did not do all the animations they could/should have done, IWD1/2 were done by another team that could have added something instead of going "an easy way". So more than one party to blame :(.

Anyway, just for the sake of discussing ideas - while editing animations is huge amount of work making new ones is a bit easier. Either one would need a person who can do a female gnome in 3D, do necessary animations and then capture the frames, resize/reformat/rename (this part could be automated). Or, if such game exists, base them on animation sequence from a different game/visual demo or even a movie. trouble is such made sprites would no look like original IWD2 ones at all...

Anyway, just for the sake of discussing ideas - while editing animations is huge amount of work making new ones is a bit easier. Either one would need a person who can do a female gnome in 3D, do necessary animations and then capture the frames, resize/reformat/rename (this part could be automated). Or, if such game exists, base them on animation sequence from a different game/visual demo or even a movie. trouble is such made sprites would no look like original IWD2 ones at all...

How is this any easier than editing animations? It sounds like a lot more work to me... I was able to set up a fairly quick method of resizing the elves but abandoned it as 1) it would require a little more work to automate aligning all of the frames and 2) I figured it still would suffer from the weapons being "held" in midair.

Does anyone know how the locations for the weapons relative to characters are set / how it is that they line up the weapons for short and tall characters? I believe it was Rabain who initially mentioned this difficulty... is this some crazy hard coded thing?

Guest Guest
How is this any easier than editing animations? It sounds like a lot more work to me...

It's easier because most of it can automated, including making model animations, you just need a model. And there are plenty of places one can download models done in e.g. 3d studio so in fact, with a bit of luck it can really little amount of work. Still as I said it would most surely stand out from the others.

Just for the record, while indeed Bioware did not do all the animations they could/should have done, IWD1/2 were done by another team that could have added something instead of going "an easy way". So more than one party to blame .

He-he, I prefer to blame Gaider :(

Does anyone know how the locations for the weapons relative to characters are set / how it is that they line up the weapons for short and tall characters? I believe it was Rabain who initially mentioned this difficulty... is this some crazy hard coded thing?
Most likely. A lot of the stuff about animations is hard-coded behind the scenes. For this reason you would have to overwrite an existing animation, and it would probably adopt whatever placements that one used. Hence why creating a new one from scratch really wouldn't work unless you had all the reference points the same as the existing one you'd be overwriting.

The weapon animations each have a specific reference co-ordinates to play at.

All the creature animations that use weapons have matching actions to go with the weapon. So that when the weapon and the creature move it looks like the creature is swinging the weapon. When in fact what is happening is that two animations are playing together, just aligned with one another.

This is the reason there have been no new player character animations that can use all weapons. Its easy enough to use 3D programs to create new creatures. But matching the hundreds of frames to the co-ordinates of weapon animations is another matter entirely.

In this instance it would probably be easier to just edit the existing animation to remove the beard though that is still a large task involving editing hundreds of frames.

Even just replacing an existing weapon animation is problematic. If you flick through weapon bams you can see in some of them parts of weapons are missing, this is so that the weapon cannot be seen when it passes "behind" the character. Its not that the creature is obstructing the view, its that the bit of weapon in the bam is actually gone.

Its the one part of IE modding that is lacking in any kind of workable solution. :(

Archived