NPCs backstory & dialog sequence

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm under the impression that players randomly move about the map, so one dialog may trigger before another. If my NPC is giving background information, things may get jumbled. Triggering this type of dialog on events in the game may not be best. How, then, should I trigger dialog pertaining to the NPC's backstory so that it flows sequentially?

The way Bioware does. Set a timer, so that Talk11 will trigger 30 minutes after Talk10 - just the way it is with most friendships and romances. You could always add plot-related dialogues(based on the chapter number) independently.

The way Bioware does. Set a timer, so that Talk11 will trigger 30 minutes after Talk10 - just the way it is with most friendships and romances. You could always add plot-related dialogues(based on the chapter number) independently.

I realized the dialog I had already written wouldn't flow right, if the player didn't follow the story (i.e. Candlekeep-->FAI-->beregost-->etc.). That's a problem.

Then, unless you edit it, your dialogue will trigger only for some protagonists, because not everyone goes to FAI right away. There is nothing plot-related there, and not everyone would want Khalid and Jaheira.

You can be sure that everyone follows the Nashkel->Bandit Camp->Cloakwood->Baldur's Gate->Candlekeep->the Palace, however.

(it is possible to avoid Beregost and entering FAI entirely, as far as I remember).

Otherwise, yes, the playing styles are very different.

Archived