Invalid links message after defragmenting disk

Guest John

Guest John

I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen to them. In my current game, I'm at the graveyard meeting Bodhi to hear her offer. Once we follow her to the crypt, she talks a bit more, but then the message "invalid links" shows up.

There was no problem in the previous game, and I have not installed or uninstalled any mods since then. The only thing I have done was to defragment my hd.

My workaround for the moment will be to just go to Bayle, pay the fee and move on.

My longer term question is, given this problem, should I reinstall from scratch or go forward in the game with the hope that I won't encounter such broken links again?

Thanks,

John

I've never seen this happen to me. Do you have an NPC in your party now who was not in it in the last game (even if they were installed)? It could be an altered Bioware NPC or mod NPC trying to interject with a broken line.

Guest Guest
I've never seen this happen to me. Do you have an NPC in your party now who was not in it in the last game (even if they were installed)? It could be an altered Bioware NPC or mod NPC trying to interject with a broken line.

Sorry, no. Same list of installed mods, no changes. Only with a different PC. I had played the previous game through the point where Bodhi makes her offer and had no problem. This time around, she takes us to the hold, says part of her speech and then get the message about valid links missing - don't remember the exact error message. I am playing the improved Bodhi mod. The only other thing I noticed was during the next meeting with her, she seems to lose focus when she's chasing me, and it seems like she stays around much, much longer than 10 rounds. After a while, I've found that the ctrl-y will get her to say her parting lines :)

I think to be on the safe side I'll probably re-install the game because I don't want to run into a game-breaker further into the story.

Guest John

Just a follow up. After reinstalling, I finally went back to meet Bodhi in the graveyard.

Definitely something strange going on. My party consists of myself (sorc) and Yoshimo. If I talk with her with Yoshimo in the party, I got the same problem as before. If I quickly remove Yoshimo from the party and then talk with her, the dialogue proceeds with no problem.

Guest Gilby
Just a follow up. After reinstalling, I finally went back to meet Bodhi in the graveyard.

Definitely something strange going on. My party consists of myself (sorc) and Yoshimo. If I talk with her with Yoshimo in the party, I got the same problem as before. If I quickly remove Yoshimo from the party and then talk with her, the dialogue proceeds with no problem.

Same problem. I get a ""no valid replies or links" error when trying to converse with Bodhi after following her to her crypt. And I don't have "Improved Bodhi" installed, whatever that is. I get the message after Aerie speaks (after a few other NPCs) giving her opinion on Bodhi.

The same thing happened to me during my last testing game as well. I think this is caused by the "BETA Core Fixes" component of the G3 BG2 Fixpack:

Yoshimo and Korgan Don't Recognize Gaelan's Changed Offer

In chapter two when the party is deciding to assist Bodhi or Gaelan Bayle, Bodhi offers to assist the party for only 15,000 gold. Korgan and Yoshimo both remark that this is a good idea as it's a savings over Gaelan's price of 20,000 gold. However, if you speak to Gaelan again before approaching Bodhi, he lowers the offer to 15,00 as well, but both Korgan and Yoshimo will still comment that Bodhi's offer is less. Dialogues are altered so that both only make their comment if Gaelan has not lowered his offer.

Files altered: aeriej.dlg, anomenj.dlg, bodhi.dlg, gaelan.dlg, jaheiraj.dlg, keldorj.dlg, mazzyj.dlg, minscj.dlg, valygarj.dlg

BTW, I assume that the fixpack is the culprit since the problem only occurs if you talk to Gaelan (after hearing from Brus and Valen) before meeting with Bodhi.

Guest Gilby
' date='Jun 14 2007, 03:31 AM' post='89957']

BTW, I assume that the fixpack is the culprit since the problem only occurs if you talk to Gaelan (after hearing from Brus and Valen) before meeting with Bodhi.

I have the fixpack with betas installed, and I did meet with Gaelan before seeing Bodhi.

Seems easily fixed as I have a save just before leaving to meet the two, one after the other.

So, do I need to post a bug report over on the fixpack forum?

Archived