Ajantis Romance Questions

Ana Christina

Hello.

I've installed BG1 NPC Project Mod and I am currently in Chapter 3. Party includes Ajantis, Gavin, Kivan, Imoen and Xan (just added him). Sometime ago I've noticed that what I assumed was Ajantis' string fixer (i.e., "Ajantis, your voice sounds strange") has disappearead from the PID options. My first question is if this is supposed to happen? I've loaded some of the previously saved games and can confirm the exact moment when it disappears. It's right after the LT about Helm (LT3, screenshot). Here is how his PID menu looks before that particular LT , and here and here is what it looks like after the Helm discussion*.

My second question is about his flirts (NPC initiated). Do they exist? I only got one, while at an inn (this one), right after a PC-initiated flirt. Are there more? If yes, what exactly triggers them? I've played for hours and not a single other flirt has come up.

Apart from those two issues above, everything has been going smoothly and I am thoroughly enjoying the writing of this Mod. I'm very grateful for its existence and I will write a full review once I'm done with the game. :)

*the LT screencap is from a different game because I deleted by mistake the one from the game from which all the other screencaps were taken.

Ajantis has a scary PID system, with such a multitude of options that my computer usually freezes for a few seconds, before they are loaded. It might be that the string-fixer option simply hasn't been added to some of them.

(Meaning: we'll probably fix it, but it's not something game-stopping).

Ajantis has only three NPC-initiated flirts, though they look more like lovetalks: one at sunset, one, where he offers to carry your things, and the last one that triggers only after you are engaged - he asks you for a lock of your hair.

Thanks for the reply, Kulyok. As long as that missing PID option isn't anything game stopping, then I can live without it. :) My screen also freezes for a few seconds when I use PID for the first time with him, but later in the game (i.e., after several playing hours) it doesn't anymore; it only does when I first click it in a newly loaded game. As for the flirts, I'm glad to know the situation (=only three flirts), as that will stop me from fretting whether I've done something wrong which stopped him to flirt.

Rather unrelated question, I know, but since this is my topic: can anyone give me some Kivan spoilers, please? This is the first time I'm playing the game, and as such there's a lot of wandering around looking for what to do, 'cause I have no idea where to go next. Party is currently out of Nashkel mines via the way they entered (i.e., they've yet to check where the exit from level 4 leads) and when I use PID with Kivan he tells my character that she's taking too long finding those bandits she's promised to help him with. This was "fixed" (i.e., his PID came back to the normal menu) temporarily with a trip to Larswood and Pedvale, but now when they went back to Nashkel to tell the Mayor about the mines, and used PID, Kivan simply tells my PC that that he has some personal things to do (badly paraphrased) and leaves the party. :)

I have no idea what to do to stop that or where to search for those stupid bandits, since I've hardly completed any subquests or know my way across different maps and especially since he gives no clues that I can follow. What I wanted to do was to go back to Beregost and get some gear, but with Kivan leaving via PID I feel very uncomfortable that even if I don't use PID with him to stop him from leaving, he'll do it on his own.

I've tried to use -- before this -- the PID to get clues as to what I should do next but he only says general things when I ask him for the best course of action.

You wonderful, wonderful poster you -- thank you!!!!

You have confirmed what I suspected. Somehow, I have not fully closed off the "Kivan Leaves Forever" timer. Are you playing with BGT or Tutu, please?

The hint you need for the bandit camp is to go back to Feldepost's Inn and talk to the Mage on the second loor (he wrote some of the letters you found in Mulahey's chest, so he knows where the Bandit Camp is.)

The problem you are experiencing with the PID is that in vanilla BG1 and Tutu, Kivan has a timer that is supposed to fire and make him leave forever if you don't actively pursue the Bandit Camp lead. In BGT, it is 15 days, in Tutu (I think) it was 5 - and under BG1 NPC, especially with the opening up of new party member otions, etc., it was supposed to be extended further or even shut off completely. It looks like I need to try again to disable the timer, and either build in our own or make sure Kivan ever leaves the party :)

With Kivan - actually, you are supposed to pick him up before you do the Bandit quest - otherwise he indeed leaves, since he joined you to hunt bandits.

Go to Peldwale, the upper right corner of the map(after the Nashkel mines quest is complete). It is to the right of the crossroads and Friendly Arm Inn. There's a group of bandits there, join them. They'll get you to the camp. Kivan will recognize his enemy, kill him, and will no longer want to leave.

Guest Guest
You wonderful, wonderful poster you -- thank you!!!!

You have confirmed what I suspected. Somehow, I have not fully closed off the "Kivan Leaves Forever" timer. Are you playing with BGT or Tutu, please?

Tutu.

Thank you for being so nice with that clue. :) I totally forgot what I read in Mulahey's letter. Most likely because I had no clue where the Beregost Feldepost Inn was since my only passage through Beregost involved no exploring other than making a straight line towards the map exit.

The problem you are experiencing with the PID is that in vanilla BG1 and Tutu, Kivan has a timer that is supposed to fire and make him leave forever if you don't actively pursue the Bandit Camp lead. In BGT, it is 15 days, in Tutu (I think) it was 5 - and under BG1 NPC, especially with the opening up of new party member otions, etc., it was supposed to be extended further or even shut off completely. It looks like I need to try again to disable the timer, and either build in our own or make sure Kivan ever leaves the party :)

Oh, the timer explains it. It's day 20 or something in my game. Travelling between areas takes so much, especially if one doesn't have any particular idea in which direction to go. I would greatly appreciate the disappearance of that timer or at least some clues as to what to do next in order to move his quest along. For instance, I had no idea that I had to go to Nashkel in order to get my next clue. Sure, Jaheira and Khalid advice the PC to go there, but I hardly recall how their advice implied any Kivan reference.

With Kivan - actually, you are supposed to pick him up before you do the Bandit quest - otherwise he indeed leaves, since he joined you to hunt bandits.

I didn't know this. :) I simply ran into him while wandering around and moved on from there, hoping that should he grow annoyed with lack of bandits search per se, he would speak as such and perhaps give some clue.

Go to Peldwale, the upper right corner of the map(after the Nashkel mines quest is complete). It is to the right of the crossroads and Friendly Arm Inn. There's a group of bandits there, join them. They'll get you to the camp. Kivan will recognize his enemy, kill him, and will no longer want to leave.

Thank you. I've finally done so and now hopefully all will be well. :)

I would greatly appreciate the disappearance of that timer or at least some clues as to what to do next in order to move his quest along.

I am afraid this may not be possible in the end: that would be changing the original game, which would probably belong to BG2 Tweaks or the like, not BG1 NPC Project, which tries to remain true to the original characters(well, what was there in the original game, at least).

]For instance, I had no idea that I had to go to Nashkel in order to get my next clue. Sure, Jaheira and Khalid advice the PC to go there, but I hardly recall how their advice implied any Kivan reference.

You need a Baldur's Gate Walkthrough.

Thanks for the link to the walkthrough, Kulyok. My problem with walkthroughs is that should I open one, I'll be unable to stop myself from reading it all just to see what happens next in the game. So I'll stay away from it for now. :(

I have a new question, if it's possible please.

I've been checking the BG NPC Romance guide occasionally to see if things were progressing fine, and so far they've seemed to. But now, two things don't happen, even though I'm pretty sure that 1) LT timers have expired and 2) I have not given the wrong line which would end the romance. First, it's about Coran's LT 8, as numbered in the guide ("*A plump wench etc.*") which, according to the guide, should have happened at a rest, in an inn. Is it possible that the romance was ruined because my PC didn't want to sleep with him? For the record, all his flirts are still active.

Secondly, it's about Ajantis' LT 17, number taken from the guide, ("My lady, now that everyone's preparing for rest etc") which, again according to the guide, should have happened at rest time. Same as with Coran, his flirts are also active.

Neither of the above mentioned LTs occur, though, even though it's been more than two hours since I've been playing. PC's reputation is high enough (Heroic), every other conditions that I know of are also fulfilled. So I don't know what's missing. Do those LTs have other conditions (i.e., conditions relating to plot advancement)?

I've checked some variables for Ajantis. Match is set to 1, "Romance Active" is set to 1, and Love Talk is at 31. If I try to manually set the LT value via the console to 29, then Ajantis' LT 16 - as per the guide - ("My lady, might I pose a private question") happens. If, however, I set it to 31, then rest, nothing happens. So, my question is, are there other conditions for LT17 which I should pay attention to before expecting that particular LT?

BTW, I'm sorry if I'm confusing with the LT numbers. The Romance guide numbers them differently than the CLUA, which uses odd numbers only.

Edited to add: Problem solved. I checked Ajantis' dialogue script and noticed that a messenger was supposed to appear in order to trigger the variable necessary for LT17 (i.e., "AjantisHasRing"). So I exited the dungeon I was in, moved to a city, and he spawned and gave Ajantis a letter and an item. Haven't seen the LT yet, but I imagine I will soon. Oh, and resting at an inn after the encounter with the messenger triggered Coran's LT.

I'm sorry if this post caused any inconveniences.

No incoveniences caused! Even if they are red herrings, you just gave us a post to find on a search, so that if someone has similar confusion we can link it (if that makes any sense :( ).

Plus, you have made some authors very, very happy by mentioning that this is your first run, and you used thier PID additions which give non-spoilerish general advice. Not an easy thing to write, exspecially when you aren't sure anyone will ever use it.

Archived