Your favorite IWD2NPC is.../NPC you miss....

Domi

Your favorite IWD2NPC is...  

122 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Didn't he notice in all those years? Or was he too insecure and self-conscious or something to realise what was going on, always thinking "it won't work anyway"?

Anyway, I was really pleased by this outcome!

Two things, though I didn't quite dwell on them in the romance. First is definetly the influence of the PC, because the romance basically pushes you toward a very kind, accepting, gentle PC. The second thing, there was that connection between male chastity and magical powers, at least for Merlin. So, my thinking was is that most of his intenal power goes towards harnessing his magic that comes in late for him, and only after he is settled into it, the love-longing has a chance to manifest itself.

This was the first time I played IWD2, so I'm not yet familiar with it. I used a walkthrough and it said that immediately after the fight on top of the wartower (this is the fight you meant in the quote above, right?), if you enter the tower again, you will be teleported to the final fight. This is exactly what happened to me.

Okay, I need to check the script. It is set up to teleport you off the tower immediately after the battle, and then back to the top of the tower. I'll double check to see if the conditions are too restrictive or what, because I really want people to see that talk ;) It's pweeetty.

I would have liked to see something like Berelinde describes: A happy couple leading a happy life. Or at least a normal couple leading a normal life. If anyone deserves it, it's him. It makes me upset that the people in my party I wanted to see happy end up unhappy (Jaemal, Rizdaer) and the ones I'd rather have "punished" (Salomeya, Diriel) more or less get what they want.

I understand that, but a traditional happy ending for Jaemal does not really make sense to me. Remember your first impression? An aasimar, and a eunuch, and a slave? Well, think what happens if he also ends up a completely healed folk hero in his eleven and hundredth year, with seven great-garndchildren and puppies in his laps ;) His star is tragic, so what years of happiness he gets, he gets despite it, because PC tips the scale.

Two things, though I didn't quite dwell on them in the romance. First is definetly the influence of the PC, because the romance basically pushes you toward a very kind, accepting, gentle PC. The second thing, there was that connection between male chastity and magical powers, at least for Merlin. So, my thinking was is that most of his intenal power goes towards harnessing his magic that comes in late for him, and only after he is settled into it, the love-longing has a chance to manifest itself.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation, that makes it clearer. :)

Okay, I need to check the script. It is set up to teleport you off the tower immediately after the battle, and then back to the top of the tower. I'll double check to see if the conditions are too restrictive or what, because I really want people to see that talk :D It's pweeetty.

Yes, it really looked pretty, even in the .d file, it was just what I had hoped to see. ;)

I understand that, but a traditional happy ending for Jaemal does not really make sense to me. Remember your first impression? An aasimar, and a eunuch, and a slave? Well, think what happens if he also ends up a completely healed folk hero in his eleven and hundredth year, with seven great-garndchildren and puppies in his laps ;) His star is tragic, so what years of happiness he gets, he gets despite it, because PC tips the scale.

Well, I didn't mean a sappy ending (although I like those, too :)). I neither imagined him to be a folk hero like <Charname> is after ToB, nor to be completely healed nor to have a big family.

I rather thought the two might not have a family at all (I wasn't sure whether this was possible after all ;)) and lead a quiet life somewhere, maybe half-forgotten except by their friends and a handful of people who remember the events of IWD2 (like Oswald or Iselore). I got this feeling when I listened to the narrator inbetween the chapters and what they said in some conversations about the heroes of IWD1 - some people know what happened, but naturally, no one ever mentions any names and to me, it sounded as if only older people from the region ever heard about it, anyway.

Maybe <Charname> would have had a chance to persuade Jaemal not to go in that one lovetalk, if she had been gentle, loving, persuasive or whatever enough; this might have lead to disagreements between them and a deep-rooted discontentedness on his side, but at least the later events wouldn't have taken place like they do now. He really seems to feel the need to do this, but maybe his new-found love might have helped the two of them to find a compromise, doing good on a smaller, less dangerous scale, whatever that might look like.

I know it's all quite vague, but that was more or less what I had imagined them to do after the big battle.

He really seems to feel the need to do this, but maybe his new-found love might have helped the two of them to find a compromise, doing good on a smaller, less dangerous scale, whatever that might look like.

He does have that need, or he will eventually lose himself to smoke and mirrors, as in his non-romantic epilogue, and PC will just play Salomeya's role. I considered doing it, actually, but didn't want to, because I felt it would be an even bigger let down. He has a consummate desire to seek for his past, and he will either do it through self-destructive divination or through active intervention in Mulhorand.

I am an evil person, because I had immediate "no romance with this one, and serve him right, if he leaves/goes to do something stupid/whatever" towards Jaemal after that sex talk: he wanted to get into my PC's bed, or nothing, and when he did, he immediately found out he was aroused and immediately, without giving my PC a chance to recover from shock, wanted her. It probably goes different for different PC's, but for mine the transition from shock to desire takes more than several seconds, so it was either breaking the good path of the romance, or giving herself to him. And I saw no love in that.

That I need to address yet, actually. The Globals are set to track what you know at each point, so I need to add a global to the script, unless it misfires all together.

He does have that need, or he will eventually lose himself to smoke and mirrors, as in his non-romantic epilogue, and PC will just play Salomeya's role. I considered doing it, actually, but didn't want to, because I felt it would be an even bigger let down. He has a consummate desire to seek for his past, and he will either do it through self-destructive divination or through active intervention in Mulhorand.

I don't see why a loving, caring and gentle PC should play the same role as bitchy, selfish and rude Salomeya. I could imagine that such a PC could prevent the worst and soothe his pain/need/longing after a while, without losing him.

I am an evil person, because I had immediate "no romance with this one, and serve him right, if he leaves/goes to do something stupid/whatever" towards Jaemal after that sex talk: he wanted to get into my PC's bed, or nothing, and when he did, he immediately found out he was aroused and immediately, without giving my PC a chance to recover from shock, wanted her. It probably goes different for different PC's, but for mine the transition from shock to desire takes more than several seconds, so it was either breaking the good path of the romance, or giving herself to him. And I saw no love in that.

He isn't physically aroused immediately on entering your bed, but only after you had some fun. What follows then sounded quite natural to me, but I can understand if a PC wants to say "no", because she is not prepared for this and rather wants to think about it. I agree that it would be a pity if he didn't propose to you because of that, though. Maybe it would be in order to add an option to the PID panel, saying something along the lines "I thought about it, how about tonight?"? If I am not mistaken, Kelsey has something like that.

I don't see why a loving, caring and gentle PC should play the same role as bitchy, selfish and rude Salomeya. I could imagine that such a PC could prevent the worst and soothe his pain/need/longing after a while, without losing him.

That does not ring true to me, sorry. I truly don't mean to sound dismissive, but well, PC's love is a known thing to him, while his past remains unknown, the thirst unsated. He will never be whole unless he does what he does. Such a happy end will just feel far too artificial to me.

Maybe it would be in order to add an option to the PID panel, saying something along the lines "I thought about it, how about tonight?"? If I am not mistaken, Kelsey has something like that.

In the new version he *will* propose as long as you have made the discovery, no matter which way you rejected him and if you rejected him at all in the later portion of the talk. I think it's better because it disengages the whole sleeping together and marriage issues.

Nord! He isn't meant to be funny, I know, but he's just so rude, he is. He's a breath of fresh air that keeps things from getting too heavy, between Hildury's conflicts, Salomeya's manipulations, etc. And that freshening breeze comes complete with sailor-like cussing, which is always fun.

I also like Jaemal, even if I'll never finish a game with him in the party because I don't want to see his epilogue (grumble, grumble :) ).

In general, I like the boys better than the girls, by a long shot. But that's typical. I'm always much harder on female NPCs than I am on male, for some strange reason.

Guest Dragon Wench
Nord! He isn't meant to be funny, I know, but he's just so rude, he is. He's a breath of fresh air that keeps things from getting too heavy, between Hildury's conflicts, Salomeya's manipulations, etc. And that freshening breeze comes complete with sailor-like cussing, which is always fun.

lol!

I was about to say, it's probably between Nord and Salomeya. They are both perfectly done, lively personalities, IMO.

I really like Nord because he is not the standard-issue self-righteous Paladin with a severe case of tunnel vision. Instead, he is human, 'rough around the edges' and he sees things in shades of grey. Yes, he is a committed Paladin, and there is no mistaking his loyalty to the cause of "Good." However, he has not been utterly blinded by the zealotry so common to his class. He is an extremely complex character.

My reasons for liking Salomeya are varied. I find that despite her cruelty and almost continual cattiness, she has a certain endearing quality. Further, she is actually very insightful, in my view. In a number of regards... I probably identify with her far too well... :)

Thank you :)

Well, let's see if I manage to keep these threads together. I really do hope that if I do that female priestess of Talos it will net me some points in the appealing female NPC category. I have not yet come to concensus with myself regarding her style (heck, even her name), but she should be very lively.

I like Valeero because she's trite. It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it. (How many cliche's can I string together, here?)

Everybody wants their NPC to be the most original being on Faerun, and it's rather nice to see an NPC that takes comfort in the mundane.

I also like how this is kind of at odds with the typical view of Lathandrite clergy. They tend to be free thinkers, and it's rather refreshing to find one with more traditional values. It doesn't weaken her story, but it does give her depth.

Archived