MyNPC [CD_STATE_NOTVALID]

Harutsune

And grab the tutorial thread, too - you have good ideas, but you will sve yourself frustration if you read through them before posting :cry: If there is no existing tuorial on that, one of us can whip somethig up about it to help. If you run back post searches under Kulyok, berelinde, cmorgan, Grim Squeaker, CamDawg, and the subject you will be able to really target down what you want.

Neither Kulyok or I are discouraging the questioning, just pointing out that looking at other folk's work and the tutorials *before* asking for clarification saves us all time - and lets us help you better.

@ cmorgan

You know I'm always looking at tuts and other people's code, but these checks are essential for a 'serious' mod. So thinking that my new checks should be perfect is not enough, I have to be certain about that so I ask (as you told me two weeks ago :cry: ). Sorry folks, I really don't want to suck with senseless questions, but there *are* sucking mods out there, and I'm really scared of making one of them myself.

@ Kulyok

Oh, I wasn't aware 'Range' is a valid term, so I'll add that and will be happy, thanks.

I quite agree with you. You should definitely look at correctly coded mods for advice. However, you can still find a mod that offers a feature you want, and just use that portion.

When I was looking for a way to give Player1 an encounter at resting that would be independent of party composition, I looked to the Xan mod, because I know that for the bonded romance, Player1 has dreams in ToB, all scripted by the mod. By looking at the code of Xan, I was able to find out how to extend player1d.bcs with my script to give the PC before-rest encounters.

When I was looking at learning to code player-initiated dialogue, I looked to Auren, because I heard she had good PID.

When I wanted to learn how to write combat script for a mage, I looked at DavidW's Sword Coast Strategems. After using the information gleaned there to write a set of mage combat scripts, I created a mage that could wipe out the entire party in 2 rounds. Dumbing it down resulted in a mage that could be easily defeated in three rounds. I realized that I would never *ever* be able to understand it, so I'd better just ask the man if I could borrow the scripts as is. But that wasn't because I can't write the code for it, just because I can't handle the tactical aspect without going too far one way or the other.

Archived