Game text update translations

Hello,

I'm quite new to this community and find it interesting having people work together to enhance BG2, which is quite an awesome game.

I have some questions concerning translations. As I install mods, I sometimes have parts of dialogs in English (I'm playing in French), when it's not dialog mismatches due to interactions between mods. I've not thoroughly investigated the issue yet, and I doubt I could do it unless I examine in detail the process of changing dialogs with the file dialog.tlk.

I saw that the new BG2 FixPack from GB3 has a module called game text update. I was wondering why there are no translations available yet. I would be interested in doing it, if it could be done, or I guess there are already people in charge of it.

Another way to get around the problem would be to play in full original version, but I can't do it from the CDs I have. Anyone has a link for an original version ? (;))

Thanks

I saw that the new BG2 FixPack from GB3 has a module called game text update. I was wondering why there are no translations available yet. I would be interested in doing it, if it could be done, or I guess there are already people in charge of it.

Let's stop me if I'm wrong but I think that the famous "game text update" are for english texts ! I guess it's from Dudley fixes... So if you install this option, of course, you will have some texts in english.

If you want to play in french, do not install this option. I guess Anomaly, who is the french translator of the BG2 Fixpack will reply to you in the next days.

The game text update is huge. It's mainly just the Baldurdash game text update, which was English only (it shouldn't be installing unless you select English as the installation language). We certainly shouldn't be throwing in any English strings for the other components (again, unless you select English when installing).

You're certainly welcome to translate any or all of it, but as I said, there's a ton of strings there (which is more or less the reason why it's never been translated). It's also not highly regarded in its native language (not around these parts at least); I'd question whether all the effort required to translate it would really be worth it or not. If you really wanted to, though, it would be appreciated, and I'm sure Cam would work to get it rolled into a future release.

Let's stop me if I'm wrong but I think that the famous "game text update" are for english texts ! I guess it's from Dudley fixes... So if you install this option, of course, you will have some texts in english.

Well I never said something different. Actually when you install Weidu BG2 FixPack, this part is automatically skipped for foreign users. I was just saying there are always some texts that remain in english that come from mods or maybe from the original game and updates.

The game text update is huge. It's mainly just the Baldurdash game text update, which was English only (it shouldn't be installing unless you select English as the installation language). We certainly shouldn't be throwing in any English strings for the other components (again, unless you select English when installing).

The point is I don't have the option to select language when installing BG2 ... Maybe original texts are on the installation discs and there's something to do to trigger them on. As for the voices, I doubt they will be there. That's why I was seeking an original version... (By the way are you all playing in English ?)

You're certainly welcome to translate any or all of it, but as I said, there's a ton of strings there (which is more or less the reason why it's never been translated). It's also not highly regarded in its native language (not around these parts at least); I'd question whether all the effort required to translate it would really be worth it or not. If you really wanted to, though, it would be appreciated, and I'm sure Cam would work to get it rolled into a future release.

If it is that huge well, I won't go through it, I think. I can do some parts to learn how to change dialogs, that would be interesting. What bothers me is having english texts in my french installation, moreover dialog mismatches. I have Irenicus and Solaufein (both npc mods) sprout non-sensed texts, and some (but not all) are in english. And I always mentioned to install the french version for each mod.

Maybe you can precise to me where they may come from : I got "The halfling you spoke of was the thief. After resisting any attempts to take him to the guards, i had to kill him" from solaufein and something about Vaelasa in the Windspear Hills from Irenicus.

The installation disc for Baldur's Gate II should only have the talk tables for the localized language. I wouldn't suggest dropping in the English talk tables (and English doesn't have the "feminine" dialogF.tlk). Not everyone here plays the English version of the game, but most still converse in English when posting here, and the game text update was only released in English by Baldurdash. We try to make sure that any new strings added or changed by the fixpack have proper translations for every language that we can get (all translations are generously contributed by other players, so we have to wait until somebody who's fluent enough in both languages volunteers, though), but it's a bit much to expect anyone to try and translate the tens of thousands of strings in the game text update.

The strings you point to are probably just strings those mods didn't get translations for. They don't look to be part of the default game (and aren't coming from the fixpack), so I can only suggest that you contact the authors of those mods.

If you want to translate the erroneous English strings in those mods yourself, you should be able to locate ".tra" files that contain the French strings in the installation folder for those mods (possibly in a "Francais" or "French" or "fr" subfolder), and you can open them in any text editor and translate any English strings there to French. The corrected French strings would then be saved to your dialog.tlk after you reinstall the mod. I'll let somebody with more experience with localized installs and localization issues help you further if you want to take this route.

Ok. Nice. I'll try that.

It can also be other mods that interact with the two I mentioned, I'll have to go through the .tra of all the mods. I was thinking of the QuestPack mod.

I'll edit that post later when work is done ;)

EDIT : I searched most of the files and didn't find translations missing. The errors I get in the game are default dialogs from npc's, when going to battle or getting hit, not conversation ones. I strongly suspect another mod to overwrite some entries, or miss-link the dialogs. I accept any suggestion as to how I could proceed to fix that. ^^

Well it seems that there are confusions on this subject. Let me try to clear this for everybody. ;)

The Game Text Update is a component designed to correct the spelling mistakes in the original English text. There are also spelling mistakes in the original French text, but the errors are not at the same place as the errors in the English text (because they were made during the translation of the game).

So there is absolutly no point in translating the English Game Text Update, or installing it in a French version of the game. But of course, we can make a brand-new Game Text Update for French text from scratch, aimed at correcting errors in the French text, but it will have nothing in common with the English Game Text Update. But this project already exist (in beta state) : here.

By the way, if I remember correctly, the BG2 FixPack team decided that they would only include the English Game Text Update in the BG2 FixPack. If people are willing to make a Game Text Update mod for their native language, the mod will stay standalone and won't be included in BG2 FixPack. ;)

Hope this is clear now. ;)

Sadly, that would probably involve purchase of an original English game, as I think the sounds would be a little too large to host or move as a unit. The NPC soundsets can be found at Sorceror's Place though, so you can at least get those in English.

Archived