Coding banter initiated by another NPC

Kendris

This seems to be the only one of my banters that isn't functioning (it's also currently the only banter initiated by another NPC); does the coding look correct? It's included in the B dialogue file for my NPC.

CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1

~InParty("Valen")

See("Valen")

!StateCheck("Edwin",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

!StateCheck("KEValen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

CombatCounter(0)

!See([ENEMY])

Global("KEValenEdwin1","Global",0)~ THEN BEDWIN KEValenEdwin1

~You, there! Monkey boy!~

DO ~SetGlobal("KEValenEdwin1","GLOBAL",1)~

== BKEVALEN ~(Glares at Edwin) Are you speaking to me, mage?~

== BEDWIN ~Do you see anyone else with a tail about? (Is he deaf or simply stupid, I wonder?) I have a business proposal for you.~

== BKEVALEN ~You could offer nothing that would interest me.~

== BEDWIN ~Do not be so certain of that. (Everyone has a price, after all.) Certain...reagents...of planar origin are quite difficult to come by here, and I would be willing to pay handsomely for their acquisition...unless, of course, you decided to gift them to me as a goodwill offering to a comrade in arms.~

== BKEVALEN ~(Eyes Edwin with barely concealed distaste) And what reagents do you speak of?~

== BEDWIN ~Nothing that you would miss, of course. A lock of hair, a shaving or two from your horns...and your blood, of course. Just a small vial every week or so. (The only thing he would miss less would be his brain. A pity that I do not possess a container small enough to keep from losing it.)~

== BKEVALEN ~Wizard, the only way that you will obtain my blood is if you manage to scratch me while I am choking the life from you!~

== BEDWIN ~All right, all right! I suppose the other items are out of the question, as well. (I am surrounded by simians with no appreciation for the advancement of knowledge.)~

EXIT

should be

!StateCheck("Valen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

I think - try changing this to DV rather than .cre name and see what happens. I don't see anything else wrong with it.

I think her DV and CRE names are the same (I do the same btw), so that should not be a problem.

Kendris, are you trying to script it or is it just casual B-file thing?

If it is casual B-file, sometimes you have to Ctrl+I till you turn blue in the face past the invalid tags till you get to your banter. Not sure if that helps, but try ctrl+I a lot, and give them time to speak after each Ctrl+I. ;)

I think her DV and CRE names are the same (I do the same btw), so that should not be a problem.

Kendris, are you trying to script it or is it just casual B-file thing?

If it is casual B-file, sometimes you have to Ctrl+I till you turn blue in the face past the invalid tags till you get to your banter. Not sure if that helps, but try ctrl+I a lot, and give them time to speak after each Ctrl+I. ;)

I want to be certain that it runs BEFORE the Edwina change occurs, because I have a Banter there that refers back to it. I ran the Ctrl+I for a while, but stopped when I started hitting the second banters between Edwin & the other NPCs.

And yes, the DV & CRE names are both KEValen, because I was having trouble keeping track of what should go where & when.

Well, then, there is a problem, folks: you have

InParty("Valen")

See("Valen")

and

You can't have both, if both .cre and dv are named KEValen - you are checking for a nonexistent DV "Valen". Unless, of course, this is supposed to run only with both your version of Valen ad the Weimer Valen mod...

Well, then, there is a problem, folks: you have

InParty("Valen")

See("Valen")

and

You can't have both, if both .cre and dv are named KEValen - you are checking for a nonexistent DV "Valen". Unless, of course, this is supposed to run only with both your version of Valen ad the Weimer Valen mod...

AHA! Thank you! I had gotten into a roll on my previous banters, using the NPC's 'regular' names & went onto autopilot there.

Believe me, I feel your pain - done the same myself, including adding a ton of checjs to Domi's awesome Dynaheir quest, with DVs of

Dynaheir

Ydnaheir

Dynahre

Dynahier

and several other variants.

the last one on that list was the doozy, where I had an entire modding session (well over 4 hours) banging my head against the wall, before I finally got someone else's eyes and they picked out the ie insead of ei...

I now follow Domi's suggestion, using %SOURCE_RES% (source resource name) for both dv and dialogue file, and when I can do so for BAF as well!

I then take the file and use both TextEdit and Crimson Editor, and run them through a "find in files" and a quick glance under the highlighters to see what I missed.

Archived