If you're taking/took Peony through the game

Domi

Heya, everyone. If you are playing with Peony, I was wondering if you could give me a list of spells you use most often on each spell level. I am going to update Peony's higher-level CRE's so that her spell-book is not empty, and I'd rather put in the things that people find useful, than doing a wild-cat method.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have Peony, but I do have a fighter mage. Here are some spells from her selection (level 2+).

2nd

Snilloc's Snowball Swarm

Blur

Mirror Image

Melf's Acid Arrow

Vocalize (if you did not give Peony the silent casting feat)

3rd

Fireball or Lightning Bolt

Haste

Melf's Minute Meteors

Flame Arrow

Summon Monster 3^

Magic Circle Against Evil

Stinking Cloud

4th

Stoneskin*

Summon Monster 4^

Malison*

Minor Globe of Invulnerability

Vitriolic Sphere

Improved Invisibility

Emotion: Hope

5th

Summon Monster 5^

Lower Resistance*

Cloudkill

Cone of Cold

Globe of Invulnerability

6th

Chain Lightning

Disintegrate

Summon Monster 6^

Globe of Invulnerability

^ I don't normally take summon spells on my mages if I am running a druid in the party, since their summons are awesome. The later mage summons can be things like salamanders, which have auras that damage your party. So those may or may not be something you would want to include.

* Spells I highly recommend. Stoneskin is too got not to use, and the spells that lower resistance/saving throws can be great on a mage.

Consider adding Vocalize to the list if you did not give Peony the silent casting feat. Being silenced is irritating.

Let me cover the higher spell levels, much like Shieara has done, going all the way up to 9th level.

2nd

Snilloc's Snowball Swarm

Mirror Image

Power Word (Sleep)

Invisibility

Melf's Acid Arrow

NOTE: Peony has subvvocal casting, so no Vocalize.

3rd

Fireball (= much better than Lightning Bolt)

Haste

Hold Person

Magic Circle Against Evil (-> I always left this one to Valeero, but otherwise very good spell)

4th

Emotion: Hope (this is by far and away one of the best group buff spells in the game)

Stoneskin (must have)

Malison

Otiliku's Resilient Sphere (perfect for taking a strong opponent out of combat for a while)

5th

Dominate Person

Lower Resistance

Cone of Cold

6th

Mass Haste

Flesh to Stone

Disintegrate

Chain Lightning

7th

Mordenkainen's Sword

Malavon's Rage

Delayed Blast Fireball

8th

Power Word, Blind

Symbol of Hopelessness

Symbol of Stunning

9th

Meteor Swarm

Executioner's Eyes

Mass Dominate

Guest Tempest

Peony's my only mage in my play-through, so I give her all the arcane scrolls I come across. However, I mostly use her for AoE spells-I play very melee-heavy in IWD2, with Valeero buffing Nord/Hildury/Prachi/Charname (a rogue) up, the main character scouting ahead, laying down a barrage with Peony, and letting melee do the rest. I generally don't even bother with stoneskin, mirror image and the like for her-she's a blue-haired artillery cannon in my games, and her spell loadouts reflect it. Not very helpful for planning her higher-level spell selection, I know, but it's my two cents on the matter.

This is the list of spells I use in the most of battles. Peony in my party can't cast spells of higher levels yet, so level 6 is her limit now ;) . Hope it will help somehow.

Aganazzar's Scorcher

Bull's Strength

Melf's Acid Arrow

Web

Fireball

Haste

Melf's Minute Meteors

Hold Person

Emotion: Hope

Emotion: Rage

Modenkainen's Force Missiles

Ice Storm

Shroud of Flame

Summon Monster V

Cloudkill

Cone of Cold

Globe of Invulnerability

Acid Storm

Summon Monster VI

Peony's spell selection from my game in Chpter 6.

(Please note - I was usng Peony primarily as a bombardier so her spell selection was offence orientated. Nikosh was my more generalist mage.)

Level 1

Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb

Level 2

Mirror Image, Blur, Aganazar's Scorcher, Melf's Acid Arrow

Level 3

Fire Ball, Ice Lance

Level 4

Otiluke's Resiliant Sphere, Ice Storm

Level 5

Dominate Person, Chaos, Lower Resistance

Level 6

Shades, Acid Fog, Disintegrate

Level 7

Mordenkainen's Sword, Prismatic Spray, Mass Invisilibility, Delayed Blast Fireball

Level 8

Symbol of Pain

Level 9

Meteor Swarm

Archived