I finished the Run with the Following Party/Protagonist

Domi

PC and NPCs in Alpha Runs  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Question, though: is Peony supposed to have a romance epilogue? I think what I got was pretty much her standard one.

Yes, she does. She has loads of epilogues depending on how the relationship went etc. Can we move it to bugs discussion thread, and can I have your saved game? I do an Autosave before you go into the Epilogues, that should do.

I just ran through with this party:

Myself (male protagonist)

Diriel

Rizdaer

Salomeya (romanced)

Nikosh

Valeero

The only thing I found slightly odd was that Rizdaer would refer to me as "surfacer" when I played a drow.

The only thing I found slightly odd was that Rizdaer would refer to me as "surfacer" when I played a drow.

You are a surfacer, even if you are a drow, as you were not born and raised in the Underdark as per the background.

Just completed my run, and it was the second time I've beaten Icewind Dale II period. My protagonist was a chaotic good male aasimar Battleguard of Tempus.

Party and Thoughts:

Sir Nord

In my opinion, Sir Nord was by far the strongest member of the party, character-wise. I thought he was a great "mentor" type of character, and one who definitely fit my protagonist better than, say, Jaheira would have. His backstory didn't surprise me too much (I was half-expecting something like it), but it worked well. If there's any character I feel obligated to take with me every run, it's Sir Nord.

Peony (love interest)

Okay, you warn folks straight up that she's meant to be a brat. Because she is. Not since Kelsey have I ever had such a strong desire to beat an npc unconscious and tell them "Shut. The. [CENSORED]. Up." That said, there were some very nice moments in her romance-I liked the epilogue, and the "guiding light" scene was wonderfully done. My problems with her aren't that she's a bad character-she's very good at being incredibly annoying, and her incessant chatter drove me absolutely nuts. I'm not sure if I'll ever romance her again-her personality just doesn't fit me or the characters I tend to play.

Nikosh

I didn't think much of Nikosh at first-he was the party thief, and that was about it. Didn't really like him, either. However, I found he really started to grow on me as the game went on. Sure, he's not the most complicated guy out there. But that wouldn't work for him. He's really kind of endearing in an odd way.

Prachi

I'm used to playing and dealing with characters that are a little... out there... so Prachi didn't bother me. I actually rather liked her, and I would certainly vote in favor of possibly making her a romance somewhere down the line. In a party as offbeat as my crew was, she fit in just fine. I don't like the monk class much, but as a character, she's interesting enough that she'll be showing up in my party again at some point.

Salomeya

Yes, I brought both love interests along. Unlike most people, I wasn't bothered much by Salo, either. I find her rather endearing in a very backhanded way, and while I would like to stay as far away from someone like her as possible in real life, I found her a rather enjoyable addition to the party.

Thank you for the report and the much needed male protagonist run! Updating the thread :( Hmm, that's a second vote in Prachi's favour. Initially the reaction to her was far more negative. Well, I'll wait and see how other people react to her, and if there is any interest in romancing her.

Finished my run a month or so ago in conjunction with tactics4iwd2.

So it goes without saying that the npcs in are definately strong enough for a tactics game.

Diriel, Salomeya, Prachi, Peony, Valeero filled out the rest of my party (male protagonist)

I have to say I enjoyed all of the characters.

I romanced peony, but her constant flirt dialogue initiation following every rest started to get annoying (but I assume this is the same behavior for all romance options). I slightly regret not romancing Salomeya instead, as she seemed much more an interesting character.

Prachi was awesome, and I wish I could have seen more character development/interaction with her.

Edit: Romance option with Prachi would be a nice addition imo.

Just finished my first run a few minutes ago! This was my party:

Female (chaotic good) half-elven ranger

Salomeya

Rizdaer

Valeero

Nikosh

Jaemal (romanced)

This was actually a fun group, and it really did seem like they were just jumbled together without much rhyme or reason and thrown into the middle of things. I'm not that great at organizing my thoughts on message boards, but here we go with my impressions:

Rizdaer - I have to say that even though I opted to romance Jaemal, it wasn't an easy decision to make since I was intrigued by the possibilities here. I was still pretty happy with having him around as just a friend (and I loved the last talk I got from him where he asked if he could call me such.) Definitely looking forward to trying his romance out in a future run!

Valeero - Enjoyed having Valeero's company during the game, though I admit that I did get tired of all the words of wisdom at times. She was definitely pretty ordinary compared with Riz, Mal or Salomeya (and I liked how she and Nikosh actually talked about that very topic), but I think that made me like her more. Oh, and with the PC being a ranger, I loved the talk with her about camping and soldier's rations :)

Nikosh - I love this guy. His comments about various antiques you come across in the game are interesting, some of his conversations with the other NPCs are amusing (offering to do Jaemal a favor, comparing Salomeya to a cake), and a couple of his talks with the PC are hilarious (vampiric geese). On a more serious note, I also enjoyed how he slowly warmed up to the idea of being an adventurer. Along with Valeero, he's one of the more "ordinary" NPCs, but his personality still made him a fun and interesting companion. I know you get some flirt options if you play as a female halfling or gnome, but I'll actually throw in a vote for a full Nikosh romance if you ever get bored after completing all your other projects :)

Jaemal - As I'd expected, Jaemal turned out to be a sweetheart. Despite his past, I never really did pity him - probably because he seemed to become a stronger person in spite of it all (and because of the PC). The romance was enjoyable, though I did think that him giving the PC a nickname right off the bat was a little odd (but endearing). I actually don't even have any complaints about his epilogue since it makes sense for him and it's not as if it came out of nowhere.

Salomeya - The one NPC everyone seems to either love or hate. I think I actually fall somewhere in the middle. Salomeya really didn't get on my nerves - barbs directed at the PC or at the group's exploits usually got a smirk, a snicker, or an eyeroll out of me. On three occasions, she did actually get me laughing at comments directed towards enemies or the environment (dancing sarcophaguses, lol). Comments directed towards Jaemal and Rizdaer didn't really bother me since Rizdaer usually just seemed amused and Jaemal just let it roll off his shoulders - I did get annoyed at her picking on Nikosh and I actually wanted to hit her for one of her comments to Valeero. However, I thought it was interesting that both Jaemal and Valeero seemed to believe that Salomeya was actually a very bitter person, and that that particular observation was the only thing that seemed to make her lose her composure. In the game, it's mostly snarky fun, but if I knew someone like this in real life, I'd keep my distance.

Overall, I had an awesome time trying out this mod - it really makes the game more interesting and enjoyable to play. The only problems I had were things beyond Domi's control, such as the added lag to the game (which can be mitigated by increasing the game's storage cache, I believe) and some difficulties getting used to how the talks fire based on game time rather than real time. Anyhoo, excellent job Domi! I'm looking forward to trying out the other 5 NPCs soon :)

Heya, thank you for taking your time with the commenting! If you are planning to romance Rizdaer next time, I think you might want to include Peony, since there is an interesting thinggie going on there. I am glad that Valeero worked well in that combination. And, again, kudos for sharing your impressions and thank you very much for reporting the typos you ran into.

Archived