Game freezes after killing all Orc Archers in Firkraag dungeon 2nd area 1st room...

Guest Shammy

Guest Shammy

1. First let me apologize if this is not the right forum, but I didn't know where to turn for help. Please direct me to the right board and I'll go there. Thanks.

2. My system specs:

PIII 650 MHz, 512 MB RAM, EVGA GeForce FX 5200 video card

Chinese Windows 98 Second Edition

BG2 Ultimate Collection (SOA+TOB)

BG2 running in 1024 x 768 resolution mode

G3 Fixpack v.3

G3 Tweakpack v.4 (not all components installed)

3. Problem:

In the first room of Firkraag dungeon 2nd area, the party is ambushed by 4 Orc Archers on both sides (total of 8 Orcs) shooting arrows. There are secret doors that can be detected, unlocked, and opened to enter the side passages they are hiding in, and kill them off. However, as soon as I killed the last Orc, the game slowed more and more, and in 2 minutes, it locked up. Even Windows Task Manager said BG2 was "Not Responding". It's the same in the next room with some more Orcs (after the Golems in the middle passage).

So I thought: why not leave the last Orc alive and move on? I did that, only to encounter the same lock-up in the left room after the Golems, where 2 Orcs beg for mercy. I let them live, and after the 2nd Orc left, the same freeze-up happened.

4. Things to try:

(1) I'll drop the resolution to the official 800 x 600 setting.

(2) I'll leave the dungeon, sell off all the loot in my "bottomless" Bag of Holding, and come back again.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Guest Shammy

1. After more testing last night it turned out the freeze had nothing to do with Orcs at all, but simply a timing issue. I loaded multiple earlier saves, including one at the very beginning of Irenicus dungeon, used CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("AR1202") command, cast Invisibility on my party, and just stood in the cave with the Adamantium Golem. Still the same slowing-to-freezing problem occurred.

2. Suspecting my AREA120B.bif might be corrupted, I copied it again from Disc 3, and also deleted the old one in the cache folder. Did not help.

3. Did Fixpack or Tweakpack modify the AREA120B.bif file? If not, I'll move over to Bioware forum and ask for help there, so I won't waste any more of precious bandwidth here. Thanks.

Guest Shammy

It's the last component of Fixpack v.3: Optional But Cool: Paws from Shapeshifting Can Not Be Dispelled.

After 3 nights' uninstalling, then re-installing component by component, finally the above mentioned component was identified as what caused the lock-up. Since this is the Tweakpack forum, I'll report the bug to the Fixpack forum. Thanks.

Guest PetrusOctavianus
It's the last component of Fixpack v.3: Optional But Cool: Paws from Shapeshifting Can Not Be Dispelled.

After 3 nights' uninstalling, then re-installing component by component, finally the above mentioned component was identified as what caused the lock-up. Since this is the Tweakpack forum, I'll report the bug to the Fixpack forum. Thanks.

I had the excact same problem, only it was on the 2nd floor of the De'Arnise Keep.

Archived