Questions about Variables

Heya, I'll reply to the best of my ability. There is nothing you are doing wrong, but sometimes there are things that prevent talks from happening in the game. I am sure that there are rigorous techniques to push the talks more agressively, but I don't think I will be recoding the mod using them (the old dog, and all that :) ). I applogize for that, but I simply have no energy left for Kivan, and I am not one of the modders whom I respect to no end, who are capable of polishing and updating their mods again, and again, and again. It's a wonderful quality, but I, unfortunately, do not possess it. I, well, I move on.

No need to apologise. I completely understand the feeling behind your post. :) Kivan is an awesome Mod and none of the things I've experienced were game breaking so I don't mind them at all.

No, the problem is that the global did not have time to shut itself down first time round, so the dialogue repeated. IIRC, it is a problem that surfaced with the faster machines, making the old way of coding when the variable was advanced via a script block rather than via dialogue option.

Oh, I see. Thanks for explaining.

That happens when the triggers trigger, dialogue is all set to go, but it gets pushed by some other action - by the player (such as moving the party) or by the game itself.

I think the game pushed it somehow, because for my part I did nothing to the party for several minutes except the PID. This is because BG 1 NPC used me to wait before doing anything in case NPCs have something to say (upon entering a new area, before and after rest). :)

Then the dialogue 'caches' and can be called via PID, not unlike what happened to you when you summoned the Dungeon talk.

Okay. I did get that talk as soon as I entered Temple Ruins dungeons and used PID with him.

It has a bunch of timers amnd conditions on it which probably did not expire, and you bypassed them via setting the Global directly. Nothing wrong with that ;)

Good to know. I didn't play with the Globals set by me, though. Once I saw the dialogue, I reloaded to a previous save and did not touch the variables.

That one I have *NO* idea about. As far as I know, the condition should prevent anyone but the bards from seeing it. A WeiDU Ninja is probably better suited to figure out this puzzle.

Understood. Thank you for your answer. :p

Two more questions and I promise to stop nagging you:

1) Kivan's Journal entries about the Lover's Ring were never deleted after the quest was completed. Is this normal?

2) Is there such a thing as Kivan initiated flirts in either SoA or ToB? Oh, and while I am at flirts, if I check them too often in order to see the possible replies, will they get disabled eventually? So far I refrained from using them too much because I was afraid he'd tell my PC to knock it off (like he does if the PC asks him too often how he's doing).

Two more questions and I promise to stop nagging you:

Don't worry about it, ask away as much as you need to, I'll do my best to answer. :)

1) Kivan's Journal entries about the Lover's Ring were never deleted after the quest was completed. Is this normal?

It is a bug that I am unable to eliminate :) I used Grim's Journal entries tutorial to do the scripting for it, and the entries still don't get erazed. I don't know why.

2) Is there such a thing as Kivan initiated flirts in either SoA or ToB? Oh, and while I am at flirts, if I check them too often in order to see the possible replies, will they get disabled eventually? So far I refrained from using them too much because I was afraid he'd tell my PC to knock it off (like he does if the PC asks him too often how he's doing).

You can flirt with Kivan as much as you want. I think that there are Kivan intitated flirts in both SoA and ToB. There must be because there was a bug that prevented ToB flirts from initiating if SoA repeated too many times, that I corrected. ToB flirts, iirc, start after all the dialogues finish up, and fire at rest (but don't quote me on this!).

Don't worry about it, ask away as much as you need to, I'll do my best to answer. :)

Thank you for your patience, you are most kind. :)

It is a bug that I am unable to eliminate :) I used Grim's Journal entries tutorial to do the scripting for it, and the entries still don't get erazed. I don't know why.

No worries, I don't mind them. I only mentioned them 'cause I was unsure whether the quest was not completed, after all, even if I did get Lilarcor from that Chislav guy (sorry if I butchered the spelling).

You can flirt with Kivan as much as you want. I think that there are Kivan intitated flirts in both SoA and ToB.

That's a relief to know, thanks.

There must be because there was a bug that prevented ToB flirts from initiating if SoA repeated too many times, that I corrected. ToB flirts, iirc, start after all the dialogues finish up, and fire at rest (but don't quote me on this!).

Well, I am in Chapter 7 (at the beginning) and almost all his dialogues finished a long time ago, in Chapter 6 (i.e., all but the Demin talk, if there is one, Tree of Life and Hell sequences), but there were no Kivan initiated flirts so far. I checked the variables with Shadowkeeper and the only flirt related thing I noticed was this: P#KivanFlirtTimer 2824173. I have no idea what it means. I assumed there weren't any Kivan initiated flirts in SoA, am I wrong?

As for ToB, well, I'm not there yet. I remember reading a topic in which you posted as advice to a poster who didn't get any flirts in ToB to set a GLOBAL via the console like this: "SetP#DisableKivanFlirts", GLOBAL,0". Should I do something similar in SoA in order to see the Kivan initiated flirts (if there are any, of course)?

Archived