A little help here?

Guest Incompetent n00b

It means Assassin. Or, at least, that's the best traslation I can offer (I've also heard 'man-slayer'). Several of them played an important role in the Bakumatsu, Japan's most recent civil war. Supposedly they were unbeatable.
That's a very poor expression for an assassin, I suppose it could be some weird deviation (人[hito] = man, 斬[kiri] = killer) however this was a title given to the four samurai who played a large role during the 幕末[bakumatsu]. It, in fact, has nothing to do with assassinations but is closer to calling someone a butcher, I somehow strongly doubt this is what you were looking for. If you need a suggestion, you might want to consider 刺客 [shikaku], a literal term for an assassin or perhaps even 凶手[kyoushu], vaguely translated to "hand of demise".

As for your problem, it could be any number of 2da files, the best way to fix it would be by uninstalling anything kit related and replacing all changed files with their backups (most can simply be deleted from override like K_*_*.2da)

That's a very poor expression for an assassin, I suppose it could be some weird deviation (人[hito] = man, 斬[kiri] = killer) however this was a title given to the four samurai who played a large role during the 幕末[bakumatsu]. It, in fact, has nothing to do with assassinations but is closer to calling someone a butcher, I somehow strongly doubt this is what you were looking for. If you need a suggestion, you might want to consider 刺客 [shikaku], a literal term for an assassin or perhaps even 凶手[kyoushu], vaguely translated to "hand of demise".

However, in actual fact, they were assassins. It is nice not to refer to them as such, but none-the-less their primary role was to hunt down and eliminate high level Bakufu officials. This was more for propaganda purposes then anything else, as the possibility of being hunted by a supposedly invincible samurai would tend to unnerve even the most obstinate of adversaries.

Truth be known though, I'm drawing most of my inspiration from the Hitokiri Battousai of the Rurouni Kenshin OVA (not that god-awful series.) I'd be lying if I didn't say that the x9 backstab wasn't inspired by the phrase, "You don't give them time to scream anymore." Not to mention the many instances of rapid and total evisceration.

Anyway... DANKE!

However, in actual fact, they were assassins. It is nice not to refer to them as such, but none-the-less their primary role was to hunt down and eliminate high level Bakufu officials.
Any soldier becomes an assassin when told to kill a man outside of combat. I was trying to bring to notice the actual meaning of the title, rather than the role of Hitokiri.
Truth be known though, I'm drawing most of my inspiration from the Hitokiri Battousai of the Rurouni Kenshin OVA
Ah, anime, the most common place to get misconceptions about something, I should have known. It's like with Naruto and Chakra, when in fact Ninjutsu has absolutely nothing to do with Chakra. :)
It's like comparing Transformers to Schindler's List...
The former representing a fun part of many children's childhood and the latter a boring WW2 drama? Thanks but I think I'll take Naruto and Transformers before Schindler's List and Ruroni Kenshin any day. :) As for my argument, it stands as it is, relying on anime for historical information and common concepts is pointless, everything is overly exaggerated and made for you to like. Well in any case, whether or not you like the same anime and how you name your kit is really none of my business, I just wanted you to consider the technicalities.

Status Report:

The play-tests go well, and the kit is surprisingly viable for a n00bs work (must be beginners luck.) I will say that it is downright hard at low levels, like playing as a Kensai with low constitution, especially if you start with Tutu; but as the bonuses and multipliers stack up this becomes less of a problem. The kit’s massive potential for destruction is nicely balanced out by a vulnerability to any form of prolonged engagement, which promotes strategic thinking on the part of the player… though I suppose this is true of most thief kits. Right now I’m working to overcome what I call the ‘shinigami effect’ wherein a character suddenly goes from being little more then an inept thief to a virtual engine of destruction at around level 20 or so. This is a problem with many kits but is especially pronounced in this one.

As per the name:

I feel my earlier statements may have been misleading, when I said I was looking to ‘assassin refit’ what I really meant was that I was dissatisfied by how the assassin kit handles it’s abilities, and desired to make a kit that would do them more justice. What I sought to create was not so much an assassin as a ‘militant assassin’ or perhaps a kit that was ‘more Kensai than Kensai;’ not so much a subtle, artistic, death-dealer as a master of murder… a killer. My original thought for a kit name was ‘slayer,’ although given that there is already a Wizardslayer kit, and that characters do occasionally turn into ‘the slayer,’ I thought it would be best to choose a name that was a little less redundant. I toyed with a variety of ideas (Including ‘butcher’ incidentally) until I remembered 'Hitokiri,' which not only literally translates to ‘Man-slayer,’ but also carries with it the same crass and ruthless connotation as I had originally desired. The fact that it also happens to be the title of a character in my favorite anime was incidental (come to think of it, I do believe the word is only mentioned once in the entire OVA, and it’s so quick you could easily miss it if you weren’t looking.) I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

And since it was brought up:

A gift for Skye, I know how much (s)he loves anime. :)

I’m sure you will find that very little is, “overly exaggerated and made for you to like.â€Â

Right now I’m working to overcome what I call the ‘shinigami effect’ wherein a character suddenly goes from being little more then an inept thief to a virtual engine of destruction at around level 20 or so. This is a problem with many kits but is especially pronounced in this one.
It happens during the creation when you tell yourself "I'll just add/change this little thing more" over and over, then you realize you did a bit too much but you don't want any of your hard work to go to waste. It happens to everyone, you should get some beta testers so that they can objectively tell you how to balance it. :)

And since it was brought up:

A gift for Skye, I know how much (s)he loves anime. :)

I’m sure you will find that very little is, “overly exaggerated and made for you to like.â€Â

I've seen it, in japanese too (how you can even listen to that hideous dub is beyond me) and everything else of the Rurouni Kenshin franchise. I stand by my words, while it's made to portray the world of that time it is far from realistic and tailored to the viewers' likings (it wouldn't make money if it wasn't).
It happens during the creation when you tell yourself "I'll just add/change this little thing more" over and over, then you realize you did a bit too much but you don't want any of your hard work to go to waste. It happens to everyone, you should get some beta testers so that they can objectively tell you how to balance it. :)

Well, it's not that so much as lv. 20 is around the point where 'use any item' and 'assassination' come in. Combined with 'kai' and the rediculous backstab, it makes the kit go a little nuts. I'm thinking I really only have to get rid of one of these things though... probably I'll just scratch 'use any item.'

I've seen it, in japanese too (how you can even listen to that hideous dub is beyond me) and everything else of the Rurouni Kenshin franchise. I stand by my words, while it's made to portray the world of that time it is far from realistic and tailored to the viewers' likings (it wouldn't make money if it wasn't).

Yeah, no kidding about the dub... I couldn't find a better one online (hell, even the directors cut would have been a step in the right direction.) And yeah, I agree that Samurai X, like all historical fiction, ultimately has to do more with the modern era then anything else (just like 'The Crucible' is about McCarthy, and Molokai is about AIDS.) I am of sound mind enough not to draw upon a movie for legitimate historical information. That said, the OVA does kick-ass in ample quantity. :)

Hello (and a shouout in particular to Atreus/Nobuseri, wooooo) - in the same vein, I have a question about kit making.

I've given myself a bit of a crash course in it and I think I have a working install for my idea going. My last burning question before I put it to the test is this: let us say one is making a kit for druid which would essentially be a combination of the Avenger percs (iirc, extra mage spells) and the Totemic Druid's weakness (iirc, No polymorphing). How would you add those in to the kit - specifically, which 2da files should I be looking at - and to a lesser extent, if I decided to add a spell (like Agannazar's Scorcher as opposed to Web), how do I do it so that it's "in-line" so to speak with the druid spells (again, a la the Avenger)?

EDIT: On a somewhat related note, how would I make a quickie little patch to the Druid class in general that would make it so you can choose alignment in a fashion more in line with NWN (i.e., all "neutral" alignments)? I know what stats I have to change, but I don't know how I would make it so that you could install/uninstall via WeiDU.

EDIT DEUX: I have a list of spells all ready to go, actually; I'm only taking the Avenger's Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning, and adding Burning Hands, Aganazzar's Scorcher, Flame Arrow, Cloudkill, and Incendiary Cloud. I've already got the spells to recognize as Priest spells and corrected the levels. I am also playing around a spell which will buff your melee weapon based off the unused "Hand of Murder" Bhaalspawn ability. All I need is which 2das to look up for giving the extra spells and restricing polymorphing.

Well, final update. I found out what I needed - the CLAB widget that was mentioned in passing in the tutorials, apparently - and I editted and fixed that up, installed to Tutu and tested in TOB, and by all indications it works. I only had a slight hiccup in importing the kit made in Tutu to TOB, but that was because of some other kits that I had installed in TOB but not in Tutu from another mod which I removed, it now works, so I have to look out for compatibility issues next and continue work on the elemental weapon buff spell. Heady stuff!

Archived