Half-Orc missing infravision

Well, since the "Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes" made it into OBC, I suppose this one could as well. Anyway, a long time ago Rogue Rebalancing had a crude fix for this. Before I deprecated the racial traits fix from RR I used this as my code for giving Half-Orcs their PnP Infravision back:

COPY	~RR/RR_ELF/SPELLS/RR#ORCIN.SPL~	  ~override/RR#ORCIN.SPL~	// Half-Orc Infravision spell
EXTEND_BOTTOM ~AR0602.BCS~	 ~RR/RR_ELF/COMPILE/RR#ORCIN.BAF~			// Half-Orc Infravision script fix (AR0602)

The contents of RR#ORCIN.BAF were:

IF
Global("RR#ORCINF_P1","GLOBAL",0)
!StateCheck(Player1,STATE_INFRAVISION)
Race(Player1,HALFORC)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("RR#ORCINF_P1","GLOBAL",1)
		ApplySpellRES("RR#ORCIN",Player1)
END

IF
Race(Player2,HALFORC)
!StateCheck(Player2,STATE_INFRAVISION)
Global("RR#ORCINF_P2","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("RR#ORCINF_P2","GLOBAL",1)
	ApplySpellRES("RR#ORCIN",Player2) // Half-Orc Infravision
END

IF
Race(Player3,HALFORC)
!StateCheck(Player3,STATE_INFRAVISION)
Global("RR#ORCINF_P3","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("RR#ORCINF_P3","GLOBAL",1)
	ApplySpellRES("RR#ORCIN",Player3) // Half-Orc Infravision
END

IF
Race(Player4,HALFORC)
!StateCheck(Player4,STATE_INFRAVISION)
Global("RR#ORCINF_P4","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("RR#ORCINF_P4","GLOBAL",1)
	ApplySpellRES("RR#ORCIN",Player4) // Half-Orc Infravision
END

IF
Race(Player5,HALFORC)
!StateCheck(Player5,STATE_INFRAVISION)
Global("RR#ORCINF_P5","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("RR#ORCINF_P5","GLOBAL",1)
	ApplySpellRES("RR#ORCIN",Player5) // Half-Orc Infravision
END

IF
Race(Player6,HALFORC)
!StateCheck(Player6,STATE_INFRAVISION)
Global("RR#ORCINF_P6","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("RR#ORCINF_P6","GLOBAL",1)
	ApplySpellRES("RR#ORCIN",Player6) // Half-Orc Infravision
END

Now, I'm sure that the fixpack coders can probably think of something more refined and I'm merely offering my crudely coded stuff as last resort material. ;) Anyhow, the biggest flaw of my fix is that it only accounts for newly created characters. It won't apply the fix to any characters who are already out of Irenicus dungeon as I'd rather not add these checks to BALDUR.BCS and I think that DPLAYER2.BCS and DPLAYER3.BCS only work if the party AI is enabled.

I think we've avoided it thus far because there really isn't any more refined approach; any solution here is going to be pretty crude, and I don't think we should bother with ugly hacks for something we can't truly fix.

So we "fix" half-orc infravision, but only if you create a new character after installing the fixpack?

I lost my dictionary, but I'm sure quite a few words of the last sentence are in the definition for "skank."

But knock yourself out. I'm sure the 5 people who actually play half-orc will enjoy. :D

Wait, but if orcs don't have infravision in BG2, and humans don't have it in BG2, why would half-orcs have infravision in BG2?

(I mean, P&P tweaks are all well and good, but I never had a P&P game in my life, so.)

That's why I suggested making this an OBC component instead of a core fix, like the already implemented small races vs. giants bonus which I've mentioned in the first post.

As for the PnP reasoning, here's a snippet from page 51 of the Complete Book of Humanoids (a 2E AD&D supplement handbook):

Orcs and half orcs have 60-foot infravision.

Also, in D&D 3.5, Half-Orcs have 60-foot Darkvision.

(I mean, P&P tweaks are all well and good, but I never had a P&P game in my life, so.)

Some of us, many?, are old time players of the P&P AD&D game. I know the BG games are good games on there own, but 'THE' reason I play them is because I grew up with the Forgotten Realms and AD&D. I dream of the day when a faithful version of the Forgotten Realms and the near AD&D comes to the computer. I can see it in my mind. AI and computers have come along way and it will come some day.

Oh and Miloch does(is) play as a half-orc. So at least you can do it for him. ;)

That's why I suggested making this an OBC component instead of a core fix, like the already implemented small races vs. giants bonus which I've mentioned in the first post.

Some of us, many?, are old time players of the P&P AD&D game. I know the BG games are good games on there own, but 'THE' reason I play them is because I grew up with the Forgotten Realms and AD&D. I dream of the day when a faithful version of the Forgotten Realms and the near AD&D comes to the computer. I can see it in my mind. AI and computers have come along way and it will come some day.

But it has nothing to do with BG2Fixpack, or so I understand - it's more in the tweaks department, or so it seems to me. I thought there was a P&P style - mod at teambg.eu or thereabouts? P&P mod, tweaks mod, but not Fixpack mod - I think.

It's just I'm rather afraid Fixpack will be full of (OBC) components that are, to put it bluntly, not fixes - and in the meanwhile I am rather upset by the fact that the core component of the Fixpack doesn't do two things it really should:

- restore *all* missing sounds(Ellesime, Valygar's first, Haer'Dalis' first, Irenicus) - some of them are still in dialogue update component;

- fix the blank entry of the songlist - it is in Super Lucky Modder Pack currently, which, for all its fancy titles, is not Core fixes, and as such, if I install Core fixes with NPC mods(Xan, for instance ;) ), their music is still overridden by area music. I'll have to restore Blank entry on my own via REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~0 No_music ****~ ~0 BLANK BLANK.MUS~ in next Xan version, and I didn't want to do that - I hoped Fixpack'd fix that all along.

Archived