No penalties for non proficiency

Hello!

Please just feel free to correct me and call me stupid but it seems to me that the game doesn't assign penalties for non proficiency when equipping slings and bows.

I tested it at game start with a Human Fighter (level 7, base Thac0 14) with average Dexterity and Strenght values (10 and 10) and proficient in some melee weapons and Crossbows.

When I equipped a Crossbow, the Thac0 remained the same (correct) but when I equipped a sling and then a bow, I didn't get any penalty thus mantaining Thac0 14 just if I was proficient with those.

Please check if what I am saying is correct because I seriously doubt that such an obvious bug might have been always overlooked and I suspect I am just not counting possible bonuses or something like that.

Thanks!

Very nice catch--I was concerned it'd be unfixable, but fortunately it's pretty trivial. I suspected that the proficiency set to 0 on the ammunition was causing the problem and my gut turned out to be correct. I tested three fighters (level 7, stats all 10) with 0, 1, and 5 pips in short bows:

Fighter with 0 pips

14 - Nothing equipped

14 - short bow equipped, no arrows (attacks with fist)

14 - short bow + current normal arrows

16 - short bow + arrows w/ short bow proficiency

16 - short bow + arrows w/ long bow proficiency

16 - short bow + arrows w/ nonsensical proficiency value (2)

Fighter with 1 pip

14 - Nothing equipped

14 - short bow + current normal arrows

14 - short bow + arrows w/ short bow proficiency

14 - short bow + arrows w/ long bow proficiency

14 - short bow + arrows w/ nonsensical proficiency value (2)

Fighter with 5 pips

14 - Nothing equipped

12 - short bow + current normal arrows

12 - short bow + arrows w/ short bow proficiency

12 - short bow + arrows w/ long bow proficiency

12 - short bow + arrows w/ nonsensical proficiency value (2)

So, good stuff. Looking at it a bit more closely, changing the ammunition proficiency to anything but zero will cause the non-prof penalties to work correctly. The same results were obtained for other missile weapons.

Missile weapons not always displaying proficiency bonus is only a character record bug (and one that fixes itself) - I'd always assumed the non-proficiency malus was the same.

We should double check, but changing arrow proficiency will probably break the elven racial bonus and require some .effs added to bows ;)

Okay, the missing non-proficiency penalty is quite real (and is probably due to proficiency type zero not having any penalties for non-proficiency).

The elven bonus is applied by launcher category type, so there's no need to add any .effs (yay!)

Two is probably the best choice for the arrow proficiency value, I agree - it didn't make any difference when I tested other values, but let's avoid the glitch with high states in the ToB actor structure :)

It might be nice to macro it, so modders who do not fear WeiDU <185 can fix their arrows easily :)

Two is probably the best choice for the arrow proficiency value, I agree - it didn't make any difference when I tested other values, but let's avoid the glitch with high states in the ToB actor structure :)
What is the "glitch with high states in the ToB actor structure," and why would using a skank value here have any effect (I agree that invalidity is best for the fixpack, but I'm using sensible values locally)?

I'm thinking of the weirdness Avenger found where high stats (well over 201) cause bgmain to start reading out of the .cre's animation structure rather than the states structure, and eventually lap around to the .cre's header (if not just read out of bounds and crash) - it may not even exist in the Mac port.

If your game isn't falling down then whatever value you're using should be safe, I'd just rather stick to the old BG1 range.

Ignored undroppable ammo to get:

// ammo with prof 0 removes non-prof penalty
COPY_EXISTING ~arow01.itm~   ~override~ // arrows - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~arow02.itm~   ~override~ // arrows +1 - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~arow03.itm~   ~override~ // arrow of slaying - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~arow04.itm~   ~override~ // acid arrows - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~arow05.itm~   ~override~ // arrow of biting - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~arow06.itm~   ~override~ // arrows of detonation  - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~arow07.itm~   ~override~ // arrows of dispelling - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~arow08.itm~   ~override~ // arrow of fire - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~arow09.itm~   ~override~ // arrows of ice - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~arow10.itm~   ~override~ // arrows of piercing - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~arow11.itm~   ~override~ // arrow +2 - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~arow14.itm~   ~override~ // poisoned arrow - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~arow15.itm~   ~override~ // arrow +3 - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~arow1a.itm~   ~override~ // arrow +2 - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~bolt01.itm~   ~override~ // bolt - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~bolt02.itm~   ~override~ // bolt +1 - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~bolt03.itm~   ~override~ // bolt of lightning - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~bolt04.itm~   ~override~ // bolt of biting  - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~bolt05.itm~   ~override~ // bolt of polymorphing - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~bolt06.itm~   ~override~ // bolt +2 - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~bolt07.itm~   ~override~ // flasher master bruiser mate - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~bolt08.itm~   ~override~ // blessed bolt - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~bolt09.itm~   ~override~ // bolt +3 - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~bull01.itm~   ~override~ // bullet - bullet w/o sling prof
             ~bull02.itm~   ~override~ // bullet +1 - bullet w/o sling prof
             ~bull03.itm~   ~override~ // bullet +2 - bullet w/o sling prof
             ~bull04.itm~   ~override~ // sunstone bullet +1 - bullet w/o sling prof
             ~bull05.itm~   ~override~ // bullet +3 - bullet w/o sling prof
             ~bull06.itm~   ~override~ // bullet +4 - bullet w/o sling prof
             ~dwbolt01.itm~ ~override~ // drow bolt of sleep - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~dwbolt02.itm~ ~override~ // drow bolt of stunning - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~dwbolt03.itm~ ~override~ // drow bolt +1 - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~flam01.itm~   ~override~ // flamethrower - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~frag01.itm~   ~override~ // frag grenade - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~frosty.itm~   ~override~ // dr. freeze death ray - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~iarow01.itm~  ~override~ // arrows - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~kuobolt.itm~  ~override~ // kuo-toa bolts - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~kuobolt2.itm~ ~override~ // kuo-toa bolts - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~kuobolt3.itm~ ~override~ // kuo-toa bolts - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~laser.itm~    ~override~ // laser - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~light.itm~    ~override~ // wand of magic missiles - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~puls01.itm~   ~override~ // wand of magic missiles - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~puls02.itm~   ~override~ // wand of magic missiles - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~quiv01.itm~   ~override~ // arrows - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~quiver01.itm~ ~override~ // quiver of plenty +1 - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~quiver02.itm~ ~override~ // case of plenty +1 - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~quiver03.itm~ ~override~ // quiver of plenty +2 - arrows w/o shortbow prof
             ~quiver04.itm~ ~override~ // case of plenty +2 - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~quiver05.itm~ ~override~ // bag of plenty +1 - bullet w/o sling prof
             ~quiver06.itm~ ~override~ // bag of plenty +2 - bullet w/o sling prof
             ~sahbolt.itm~  ~override~ // paralytic bolt - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~secret02.itm~ ~override~ // pulse ammunition - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~secret03.itm~ ~override~ // frag grenade - bolts w/o xbow prof
             ~secret04.itm~ ~override~ // scorcher ammunition - bolts w/o xbow prof
   READ_SHORT 0x1c "itm_type"
   PATCH_IF (("%itm_type%" = 14) OR    // bullets
             ("%itm_type%" = 31)       // bolts
             ("%itm_type%" = 5)) BEGIN // arrows w/o shortbow prof
     WRITE_BYTE 0x31 2 // non-zero prof; doesn't matter
   END
 END
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Archived