[IMPORTANT] Consent for publishing mods on Infinity Games new release

yarpen

I've checked with Japheth. You are permitted to redistribute Tutu on this bonus CD.

(Although, I really have to strongly recommend in the future that you make personal contact with the authors, and with more than a couple of days to mull things over, since as you see, there are a lot of questions and concerns.)

also said at the other post

spin-off profit from content developed on a licensed product. mmmh

sounds fishy to me. can the modders even agree to sell their mods without the underlying game developers consent? why not link to the communities? PPG Modlist for example

btw Ken still owes me that cd :-P

sounds fishy to me. can the modders even agree to sell their mods without the underlying game developers consent?

It's my understanding that we can not even claim copyright (even though we try anyway :) ), much less sell it.

Guest Guest

when you go to a supermarket, and see two girls advertising beer, and they say to you "Buy two bottles of beer and win a goblet" - do you actually think they are trying to sell you a goblet?

I doubt that the price of this DVD will be even 1 cent lower, even if all modders refuse to give a permission. I'm not a modder though, just an opinion.

I haven't read the licensing agreement, but I think a case could be made. You're not really capitalizing on any material BioWare provided but just releasing some unrelated data in a special format. The stickiness comes when you repurpose the actual content BioWare created or steal something covered under their own copyright.

It's moot in any case. Nobody cares, and for this issue in particular, it's only for Poland. I have no fear of the Polish police. ;)

when you go to a supermarket, and see two girls advertising beer, and they say to you "Buy two bottles of beer and win a goblet" - do you actually think they are trying to sell you a goblet?

I doubt that the price of this DVD will be even 1 cent lower, even if all modders refuse to give a permission. I'm not a modder though, just an opinion.

But then again, I don't think that advertising a DVD containing bonus material exempts anyone from the fact that mods are being added for a commerical purpose. The mods are still being sold.

Also, Collector's Edition games contain loads of bonus stuff, but more IS charged for this bonus material. Hence, you cannot guarantee that the price of the DVD HAS OR HAS NOT changed at all the inclusion/omission of bonus material, UNLESS you have a promotion where, say, the first 100 copies contain bonus materials, and that both the copies with and without bonus materials have identical prices and are released at a time where no economic scaling (inflation, etc.) is taking place (e.g. together).

For the publication of the mods I think I have say in (I'm trying to pull Indira and Sirine's Call out of the publication), I have explicitly asked for a proviso. This proviso is that there be a conspicuous, legally-binding, and official statement provided on the data disc that (i) vindicates the mod author(s) of any liabilities that may arise from real and potential copyright infringements of intellectual property of all parties involved in the production of Infinity Engine games, and (ii) reinforces the ethos of mod authors that they produce mods as a hobby and not for commercial and/or lucrative purposes.

I sincerely hope that CDP honour every part of this request, else it shall be considered that I did NOT give any permission for the publication of the mods that I gave conditional consent for, and I would be very peeved.

Perhaps so, but you would understand from a person with a completely naive perspective to legal issues that they would desire to be protected from any such issue that arises, even if the chances of it are the same as getting struck by lightning. When a patient goes to see a doctor for surgery to cure them or reduce the severity of a salient condition, the first thing they want to know are the artifacts of the process.

I don't think that is an unreasonable request in this case. I certainly think we as modders who just love what we do have justification to be cautious about an area as sensitive as this. I mean, who isn't afraid of the one-time out-of-the-blue e-mail that officialy asks you to desist?

What you have said in that other thread does clear things up a bit, but it won't change my stance on the issue simply because the timeframe involved is too narrow.

also said at the other post

spin-off profit from content developed on a licensed product. mmmh

sounds fishy to me. can the modders even agree to sell their mods without the underlying game developers consent? why not link to the communities? PPG Modlist for example

But these links also gonna be on this CD! :)

yarpen,

I think what you are doing is very good!!! It should be helpfull for everyone! I hope some of the new players want to mod and their mods will be translated into English (for the rest of us). If you are not able to add the modding tools could you have a link to them?

You are learning that people have very differnt ideas on what/how things should be done. Some wont let there mod converted to work with BGT/Tutu or even update their mods with bug fixes/WeiDU it.

Good luck!!!

Thanks for good word Chev. I will send here some photos which will show our work :)

I was thinking about modding tools... but that gonna be later. There is a little surprise (mainly for polish players) which gonna be shown later :)

Yeah, I guess it is kind of like the links film DVDs provide to internet-based "fun stuff," which I've seen before, but you have to understand that presenting someone with what amounts to a blank permission slip and saying "Sign here, you won't get in trouble, and I need it by tomorrow" tends to provoke suspicion.

Allowing more time for discussion, explanation, and preparation would probably have been a good idea.

CamDawg, jcompton, Ascension64, Jastey, Baronius, Valiant, Vlad, Grog, Westley Weimer, Igi, DawidW, KingDiamond

Here is the list of people who helped us in our project. If I forgot about someone - tell me! There is still a bit of time.

Archived