Which of these three BG2 NPCs you found the most interesting?

Heya, I am doing a small mod for NWN2 that utilizes some of BG2 themes, and to resolve a plot point I need the player's opinion on which one of those NPCs was most interesting to them:

Nyalee

Elhan

Alianne

Vaguely remember Nyalee. Elhan was annoying. Don't remember Alianne at all.

But I've been living in Tutu-land too long.

Maybe a little refresher?

Sorry: this isn't meant to be sharp. Just trying to catch up on forums while recovering from heatstroke.

I think Nyalee has a lot of potential to explore, just how she came by her magical know-how and why she chose to take in a fire giant as a son could be a rich and interesting story.

Ehlan also has places he could be taken, but apart from his position as a general for Suldenesselar, there's not much background given for him. His staunch, almost Lawful desire to protect the elven queendom from ridicule as well as harm is an interesting trait though.

I must confess, I don't remember who Alianne is.

Ditto Berelinde's and BigRob's comments above. Nyalee holds some interest for me, while Elhan is just annoying.

Perhaps Alianne = Alianna, the PC's mother? In that case, I don't care much for her either.

Ah, that explains it. I've never actually read any FR books. I've got very particular tastes in my fantasy literature, probably too restrictive for my own good, so I probably won't be reading them any time soon.

I take it that the choice of NPCs is linked to a much earlier timeframe? If it were parallel yet unconnected stories I would vouch for someone with a more emotional link.

In the latter case I would prefer the daughter of the Umberlee priestess in BG, Tenya IIRC, but Nyalee sounds best as she has some potential recognition story points while teh two others are completely vague to me.

Gorion you filthy liar. :-P

I take it that the choice of NPCs is linked to a much earlier timeframe? If it were parallel yet unconnected stories I would vouch for someone with a more emotional link.

You are too perceptive for your own good :) Tenya is too young for the timeframe I am thinking about, and yes, the emotional link is what I am searching for, because of the plot point.

I am glad that people seem to remember Nyalee pretty well, because it fits into my master plan. Bwa-ha-ha!

I've expanded Elhan in RE, and I've found all Nyalee stories I've read not to my taste at all - except for Duvestal's, but that's because it's Duvestal.

:) Let's say he died peacefully in his sleep.

Oh yes, the PC's mother. Alianna is certainly fertile ground to play with, as virtually nothing is known of her, and what is known is suspect at best (with the possible exception of what the PC sees in ToB). At the same time, it makes her hard to deal with, because there's little skeleton to build her character on.

On the other hand, it will be difficult to fit into the interpretation of every player, or even most players. I know that Turnabout Alianna didn't quite work for me personally, because of her devotion to Aerie's child in the epilogue, and her somewhat sudden change in personality from the woman we see in Solar's revelation.

All of these characters are in, all have background (in so much as you can explore a background in a 1 hour mod) but there is one story-line within the mod (out of *gasp* TWO!) that has a plot point I wanted to give to a character that was the most familiar to the player at large. The story for the mod is a deliberate "What If" or Alternative Universe. In fact, it's so AU, that I am thinking of pilfering the 'But For the Grace of Gods" title from the RIP mod for it. :) So I am not worried about a 100% fit for every player at all. Its purpose is to present an ironic twist, not to be an honest to god prequel to BG1. Apart from me learning the basics of scripting and story building in NWN2. I mean, I spent four days building a basic three-tile area with custom tinting, lighting and a talking statue that leveled the PC up on request! I need a break before I dive into PC selection on spawn area entry and a cutsceen with intro or even finishing the damn statue's dialogues so it summons the punishing force if you are rude to it!

Archived