3D Acceleration

Amgot

First of all, I'm sorry for posting here but I could not find an appropriate "Tech Help" forum, so I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Using the Config utility, I set up BG2 as usual (that is, everything maximum with 3D acceleration on). Unfortunately, when I test the settings, the three concentric squares are flickering (and so is the game when I try to launch it). Turning off 3D acceleration solves the problem but it makes the game nearly unplayable, with very choppy movements and spell animations. Turning 3D effects and other eye candy off helps but the game is still very slow (plus now, I don't have all the nice spell effects). If I had an old rig, I would be willing to accept that but my laptop is more than capable of running BG2 with maximum settings on.

As a matter of fact, I played BG2 - SoA on this very laptop a year ago with 3D acceleration on and didn't experience any problems. This time, I also have ToB installed but I doubt that could be the problem.

Some other notes:

- I tried reverting back to my previous display driver, and then to my basic display driver - it didn't work

- I usually play using a 1024*768 resolution. I tried with a 800*600 resolution but it didn't not fix anything.

- This BG2 ToB install is patched with the latest ToB patch. This is the install I used for my EasyTutu installation two months ago.

- Interestingly enough, when I set up my EasyTutu game, I noticed that when doing the graphic test in Config (with 3D acceleration on), the screen was flickering. At that time, I thought that it was a Tutu problem - and anyway, I didn't want to install the Degreenifier (lack of HD space), so I turned off the 3D acceleration. I didn't encounter slowdowns or choppy movements (except in some areas but that's a Tutu issue). How come everything is choppy in BG2 whith 3D acceleration off?

- I got a lot of mods installed (no TC mods though) but quite frankly, I don't think that could be the problem. I can post my Weidu log if you think the problem might be there.

Once again, I want to emphasize that I played BG2 on this very laptop a year ago with 3D acceleration on and did not experience any flickering screen. To me, it really sounds like a driver problem but using different set of drivers didn't solve the problem, so I'm puzzled.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

PS: on a sidenote, how's the compatibility between Song & Silence and the new Rogue Rebalancing 3.61?

Unfortunately, when I test the settings, the three concentric squares are flickering (and so is the game when I try to launch it).

Go to your graphic card driver control panel and look for a "Triple Buffering" option, and once you find it turn it off. That solved the flickering issue with 3D Acceleration for me.

how's the compatibility between Song & Silence and the new Rogue Rebalancing 3.61?

The mods should be fully compatible with each other if RR is installed after S&S.

Not the entire Quest pack, just the "Additional Shadow Thieves Content" component of that mod.

However, to be on the safe side, I'd advise always installing RR after the Quest Pack or any other mods which feature general AI improvements. More details about the compatibility between RR and other mods can be found here.

Yep, I meant the relevant Quest Pack content, sorry.

Mm, I have installed the Quest Pack after Rogue Rebalancing. I have not installed RR's Shadow Thief Improvement but I'm worried about the "Arledrian's Silverblaze Quest" you mention in your SHS post.

I think I'll try like that. If installing QP after RR messes up Arlerdian Silverblaze Quest in my game, I'll be sure to post the details at SHS.

I don't think Sim's AI enhancements from the Quest Pack break Arledrian's quest, but I know for a fact that the Big Picture AI enhancements do if they are installed after RR. However, "Additional Shadow Thief Content" from the Quest Pack and "Shadow Thief Improvements" from RR are definitively incompatible with each other.

Anyhow, I've started compiling a comprehensive compatibility and install order guide for Rogue Rebalancing so you might want to take a look at that. BTW, if anyone has tested any other mods which are currently unlisted in that thread feel free to post and let me know.

Well, if the "disable triple buffering" fix for the flickering works, I'm starting a BG2 runthrough tonight with a heavily modded game. You can see my Weidu log here (last post).

I'll be sure to let you know if I experience any bug that might be caused by RR's incompatibility with something else. Everything is installed after the recommandations made in your compatbility and order of install guide except for the Quest Pack being installed after RR.

Disabling triple buffering did the trick, thanks aVENGER!

EDIT:

A little update...

Disabling triple buffering allowed me to check 3D acceleration and fix the flickering screen issue.

Unfortunately, it seems that even with 3D acceleration on, I still have very slow and spotty character movements, with my characters jumping from one place to another when I tell them to move. This reminded me of a problem some people have experienced using Tutu in BG1. The solution to this problem (see here) was to turn off all ambient sounds.

I did that and it worked like a charm (ie no more spotty character movements).

Now the question is: I already played BG2 and never experienced this problem. What causes this? Is there a way not to have this problem while keeping ambient sounds on?

I did uninstall BG2 + delete the Black Isle folder before reinstalling BG2. I started a new game on vanilla BG2 ToB patched and didn't have any problem. I then installed the FixPack v4, Ascension and some NPCs mods and started a new game and didn't experience any problem. I then installed some other mods (see link to Weidu log two posts above) and after that, experienced spotty character movements. The only way to get rid of this is to turn off ambient sounds. Does someone have any idea which mod cause this? The weird thing is that I already played BG2 with most of these mods installed and never experienced any problem...

Sorry about the long post.

This is a common problem which has no known single cause and several possible fixes -- none of which may work.

Please do a search, on these boards or other forums, for stutter and you'll be able to find many discussions and possible fixes.

Yes indeed, after a search, I've been looking at those long discussions on this issue at G3, PPG and SHS.

Seems like there are no 100% identified culprits but I'll still try to keep a light override folder as well as not installing Amber and Fade...

Yes indeed, after a search, I've been looking at those long discussions on this issue at G3, PPG and SHS.

Seems like there are no 100% identified culprits but I'll still try to keep a light override folder as well as not installing Amber and Fade...

As far as the "whole game keeps stuttering" problem is concerned, I don't think there have been any cases where it actually turned out to be caused by Amber. There have been a few cases that were caused by somehow funked up installation (including Amber) and a few cases where the boots of speed / shapeshifting bug has been reported in connection with Amber, but there should not be anything in Amber's current version that would make the game more prone to stuttering. Of course anything can happen (and frequently seems to do so :cry:) whenever mods are involved, but you should not let fear of stuttering keep you from trying out Amber, if you are otherwise so inclined. If you do know of reports indicating otherwise, we would be very interested in hearing about them, in case we can do something about it.

And if you do get stutter with Amber, we'll of course be there to help troubleshoot the issue. ;)

Well, I did a whole reinstall without Amber and the stuttering disappeared. However, I also did not install 2 or 3 NPC mods I had installed the first time, as well as slightly changing the install order.

So, I really have no idea if it's linked to Amber. And it is to be noted that I still experience stuttering in the Druid Grove (day and night) and in Waukeen's Promenade (by night only). I have not tried but I'm sure these stuttering issues could be solved by deactivating ambient sounds but to me, the druid grove without the ambient sound is not worth it...

Archived