Cam's in-depth review of HP5: Order of the Phoenix

CamDawg

I was lucky I read the first book around 1999, I suppose: I wasn't influenced by the publicity. In fact, when I got it from a German friend, I kept it on the table, unopened, for months, and I finally took it with me, because I had nothing else to read on the two-hour train to Moscow. I was still at the Moscow Uni then, and I showed the book to my English teacher. She sniffed and said disdainfully: 'What is this? Eh. Such simple language...'

As for the hype, I had a similar experience with Philip Pullman: I heard about the hype and got his first book from lib ru. It lacked any pull for me; I found it quite bland, and I don't think I'll be rereading anytime soon. When I see heaps of his books in Polyanka bookshops, my reaction is usually mild surprise: 'What, they're still reading him?'.

I figure, I'll have to read them in a few years anyway when the wee one is old enough. Maybe by that time the dust will settle. Though of course, now every new fantasy book is going to be hailed as "New Harry Potter!".

i would agree that there are better books out there. (chanters of tremaris trilogy and holly black's "modern faerie tales" come to mind.) i'm sure that there are psycologists out there who have devoted their lives, or are in the process of doing so, to exactly what makes harry potter so damn popular!

(chanters of tremaris trilogy and holly black's "modern faerie tales" come to mind.)

Better books? I'm going to check them out... now wait a minute. Ah, these two. :cry:

I definitely disagree about Kate Constable. When I came across her, my first thought was "Yay, at last something worse than my writing!", my second was "That's okay for a fanfic" and my third was "THIS got published?"

"Modern Faerie Tales" to me is a weird combination of a children's tale and a bad bodice ripper.

Okay, Harry Potter has its bad moments, but I never paused to wince at the writing(and judging by some critics' reviews, I should have), simply because I was sucked into a story headfirst. Not so here; in both cases the plot felt disturbingly artificial.

And finally something on-topic: judging by the news, some casting for the sixth movie has been done! Naomi Watts as Narcissa Malfoy, and Joseph Fiennes (brother of Ralph Fiennes, who plays Voldemort), and Stuart Townsend. No idea who these two are playing. Too bad it's the same guy doing the directing in Movie 6... I wish Cuaron would return for movie 7 - so very, very much.

I wholeheartedly agree with Kulyok about the books. I'm rather notorious for rewriting books when I think the wording is poor, or when words are used too often, or any one of a myriad of picky little things; even though I know those instances occur in Rowling's series, I was so caught up in the story that I didn't notice.

Better than the Potter series? Anything written by Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams, if you're talking fantasy-based literature.

Better than the Potter series? Anything written by Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams, if you're talking fantasy-based literature.

Oooh, I love these guys.

Especially Pratchett's books - they seem to be becoming deeper and deeper with years.

I should order Pratchett's first book. I tried a short story by him, and it looked like a diluted and dumbed down version of the Monday Starts on Saturday by Strugatckiys. But I assume that his long books are better than that (Sigh.). And I need to buy the Riddlemaster trilogy. Our library has every other book by McKillip apart from her most famous one. Ridiculous.

As for better books, having not actually *read* Harry Potter, I should not probably pop into this and pimp Martin, Kay and Lynch, but yakes! I've already done it. :cry: Can't wait till next Lynch is out (Starts counting days to possible Canadian release).

Domi, rather jump in in the middle and sample a book or two. Pratchett's first books aren't all that good, and his quality is still uneven, but he's definitely getting better with age.

Wee Free Men, for example, is charming.

Hmm... Martin & Kay I know. Lynch? *sounds of frantic googling*

Yeah, I love Terry Prachett, but it took him a while to warm up. "The Light Fantastic" didn't really do much for me, nor did "The Color of Magic," and I just didn't get "Strata," I'm afraid. But when he came out with "Guards, Guards!" I was hooked.

Oh, yeah, same here. Rincewind's adventures just don't cut it for me. I don't read children's series/non-Discworld(Wee Free Men, Strata), but Captain Vimes, Susan's line - these I adore.

"Even with nougat, you still can have a perfect moment."

You don't like Rincewind?! *blows raspberry*

Actually, I completely agree. His writing really took off about three or four books into the series, and the stuff he wrote before the Discworld series I just don't get. I really liked Mort, but I suppose that I didn't completely get hooked until Wyrd Sisters. As far as Rincewind goes, I totally love the idea of him, but he didn't get a good book until the Lost Continent. Ah well.

Wee Free Men rocks! (and is a part of the Discworld series, I might add)

(chanters of tremaris trilogy and holly black's "modern faerie tales" come to mind.)

Better books? I'm going to check them out... now wait a minute. Ah, these two. :cry:

I definitely disagree about Kate Constable. When I came across her, my first thought was "Yay, at last something worse than my writing!", my second was "That's okay for a fanfic" and my third was "THIS got published?"

"Modern Faerie Tales" to me is a weird combination of a children's tale and a bad bodice ripper.

then i suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree in that area.

Archived