BG2 Tweaks v5 new components

CamDawg

Not really. Bards require 12 DEX, 13 INT and 15 CHA, as igi says, in the base BG2 game. When you generate a bard character your rolls for dexterity, intelligence, and charisma are bumped to make sure you meet these requirements.

Do you know how the "bumping" actually works? I know the manual says that it just raises the score to the minimum allowable, but empirical tests seem to indicate that scores are rerolled until they meet the minimum, not that they are merely bumped. I explained this in some detail in a thread on the Bioware boards:

http://forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic...um=18&sp=15

The tweak under discussion would still give you a minimum of 90 total points if you chose 15, since they'd be rerolled until they were all high enough, but if they are rerolled, the expected average would be even higher than if they were single bumps.

You'll notice that most of the rest of that discussion in the thread linked above is about HOW they are rerolled, if they are rerolled. We (or at least I) concluded that there is no empirical way to tell without looking at the code whether it rerolls all the stats until they are acceptable for the class/kit, or if they reroll just one stat at a time.

This may make a difference with this mod, because even a modern processor may take a long time to roll ALL the scores 15+ if it's rerolling all of them together.

This may make a difference with this mod, because even a modern processor may take a long time to roll ALL the scores 15+ if it's rerolling all of them together.

It can't be a complete reroll because I don't see a hiccup, even of you force the minimums to 18. A natural roll of six 18s should be on the order of a 1 in 6^18 (about 1 in 100 trillion) event, but you can pound the reroll button and it'll keep updating the scores. (With a fighter you can tell it's generating new scores because the exceptional strength numbers keep changing.)

It's also possible it's using a different mechanism to generate the scores rather than actually performing three 1d6 operations.

Guest frabjous

That's interesting, thanks.

I'm almost positive that it doesn't generate the scores with 3d6, since the average results it produces are far more generous than the 63 average you'd expect if it did. The general guess from testing (looking further in the thread linked above) is that it's something like best 3-of-4d6, but without looking at the original code it's impossible to tell.

I've never done any modding, but I take it that the stat rolling procedure is not moddable?

Archived