IWD Tweaks v6

Guest grogerson

Guest grogerson

I've started a new game - basic IWD. Through Kresselack's Tomb level 1 no problems. I do have another "fix" request, however.

During the Easthaven prologue, Aspel's been forced out of his house because of a wolf. In HoW/TotL you can charm animal and it will leave through the door (you get xp for this method), but in IWD you're forced to kill it. Can you do a fix to bring IWD in line with HoW/TotL?

Guest grogerson

I've encountered another IWD problem today.

My bard has a lore of 260 at 25th level, but drops to 14 at 26th. HoW and TotL have 210 lore at 26th. Any ideas what file needs tweaking?

Also, if you can post the fixes for this and my previous post here, I'll change the necessary files in the fix pack and reinstall the fixes component. Easy since I installed it last...

Guest Guest

Thanks for the manual fix. I'll check it out tonight (I'm at work now). My suggestion, until I or Dualmakan can play through, is a v6.1. I'd hate to have it reach v10 in so short a time because we've been finding these bugs...

I'll wait a few days on this one, so play quickly. ;)

I'm a little slow in responding to this, but will a release date of, say, June 30 be good? :cry: By then I should have finished IWD and be working on HoW/TotL. I have few reservations about the latter, but the former...

My bard has a lore of 260 at 25th level, but drops to 14 at 26th. HoW and TotL have 210 lore at 26th. Any ideas what file needs tweaking?

This sounds ye olde problem of wrapping values. Not sure if there's anything that can be done.

July 30 is good, I can hold off until then.

Guest grogerson

This sounds ye olde problem of wrapping values. Not sure if there's anything that can be done.

July 30 is good, I can hold off until then.

I was afraid you'd say that, since IWD caps at 20th. Just don't know what they did with HoW to cap it at 210.

If I have any other problems or requests before then, I'll add it here.

Thanks. :cry:

This is overkill, but should definitely address the issue with Marketh's thieves. Basically, we have all the thieves stored in the area files destroy themselves, then spawn in a clean batch via the area script. This will only work if you have not visited the area yet. Make a folder named 'baf' in your G3DaleTweaks folder and unrar the two attached files into it. Add this to your tp2:

// marketh thief script fix (see ar8001.are, ar8001.bcs)
COMPILE ~G3DaleTweaks/baf/cddstslf.baf~

// marketh thief script fix (see ar8001.are, cddstslf.bcs)
EXTEND_BOTTOM ~ar8001.bcs~ ~G3DaleTweaks/baf/ar8001.baf~

// marketh thief script fix (see cddstslf.bcs, ar8001.bcs)
COPY_EXISTING ~ar8001.are~ ~override~
 READ_LONG  0x54 "actor_off"
 READ_SHORT 0x58 "actor_num"
 FOR (index = 0; index < actor_num; index = index + 1) BEGIN
READ_ASCII ("%actor_off%" + 0x80 + ("%index%" * 0x110)) "cre_file" (8)
PATCH_IF ("%cre_file%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "lddthief" = 0) BEGIN
  WRITE_ASCII ("%actor_off%" + 0x50 + ("%index%" * 0x110)) "cddstslf" #8 // new override script
END
 END
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

baf.rar

I noticed something while checking Dirty Llew's DLG file. He should be able to give a humber hulk plate for any humber hulk hides you carry. I don't think I've seen this in my games. :cry:

You can't--the current trigger can never evaluate as true, and is weighted under other triggers which will always evaluate to true. It'd be easy enough to restore; toss this in all-fixes.d:

REPLACE_STATE_TRIGGER DDIRTYLL 22
~Global("Umber_Hulk_Armor","GLOBAL",0)
PartyHasItem("HideUmb")
!NumTimesTalkedTo(0)~

SET_WEIGHT DDIRTYLL 22 #-1

During the Easthaven prologue, Aspel's been forced out of his house because of a wolf. In HoW/TotL you can charm animal and it will leave through the door (you get xp for this method), but in IWD you're forced to kill it. Can you do a fix to bring IWD in line with HoW/TotL?

It can be charmed in base IWD. Sitting at the top of its script is a check for being charmed, and to change scripts if it is. I believe the problem is how often the wolf interrupts its attack to check its script. In IWD, it's prompted to attack with

AttackReevaluate(LastSeenBy(Myself),75)

which means it should attack and ignore its script for 75 AI cycles (about 5 seconds). In HoW, they change the attack command to

AttackOneRound(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))

which means it'll attack, but should keep checking its script.

Try adding this to your tp2. It'll change the IWD AttackReevaluates into HoW's AttackOneRound; let me know if it works better:

COPY_EXISTING ~ehwolf.bcs~ ~override~
 DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~AttackReevaluate(LastSeenBy(Myself),75)~ ~AttackOneRound(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))~
 COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Got another crash to report. Entering AR 9400 in Burial Isle (HoW area) treats me with the same black screen crash as before. Again, uninstalling assorted fixes solved the issue.

A few more comments:

* Some quest items (such as the mythal theory book, terikan's key, razorvine extract, among others) can't be put in the Bag of Holding ('wrong item type'). Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if this was intended or just a game engine issue.

* I'm finding it very hard to dispel confusion effects, even at higher levels. Is it just me, or there's something more (ie. 20th level traps, etc.)?

* Bandoth razorvine quest doesn't seem to work properly. He'll only ask you to retrieve it if you talk to him before finding his dead apprentice, Kalabac. Otherwise, he won't even mention it, despite you having it on your inventory. Would it be possible to fix this?

Also, asking him about the evil that plagues the area makes him go hostile and leave the area awkwardly (says something like 'excuse me, I got things to do, I'll be right back'). For all I know, it might be intended, I just found it odd.

Got another crash to report. Entering AR 9400 in Burial Isle (HoW area) treats me with the same black screen crash as before. Again, uninstalling assorted fixes solved the issue.

Same screwup, HoW-style. Remove

// known spells have wrong level set
 COPY_EXISTING ~mebding.cre~  ~override~
			~wvirgin.cre~  ~override~
			~wvirginn.cre~ ~override~
READ_LONG  0x308 "known_off"
READ_LONG  0x30c "known_num"
FOR (index = 0; index < known_num; index = index + 1) BEGIN
  READ_ASCII ("%known_off%" +		("%index%" * 0x0c)) "resref"
  PATCH_IF ("%resref%" STRING_COMPARE_REGEXP "spin136" = 0) BEGIN
	WRITE_SHORT ("%known_off%" + 0x08 + ("%index%" * 0x0c)) 9 // level
  END
END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

and it should be fine. Looking ahead, remove this for the same screw-up, TotL-style:

// known spells have wrong level set
 COPY_EXISTING ~jklsum.cre~  ~override~
READ_LONG  0x308 "known_off"
READ_LONG  0x30c "known_num"
FOR (index = 0; index < known_num; index = index + 1) BEGIN
  READ_ASCII ("%known_off%" +		("%index%" * 0x0c)) "resref"
  PATCH_IF ("%resref%" STRING_COMPARE_REGEXP "spin177" = 0) BEGIN
	WRITE_SHORT ("%known_off%" + 0x08 + ("%index%" * 0x0c)) 9 // level
  END
END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

A few more comments:

* Some quest items (such as the mythal theory book, terikan's key, razorvine extract, among others) can't be put in the Bag of Holding ('wrong item type'). Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if this was intended or just a game engine issue.

These items are all flagged as unsellable, like most quest items are. Since the bags of holding are considered stores, you can not place them into the bags. (Yeah, it's annoying they give you a dumb message that has nothing to do with the actual error.)

* I'm finding it very hard to dispel confusion effects, even at higher levels. Is it just me, or there's something more (ie. 20th level traps, etc.)?

Dunno about the confusion effects; the fixes aren't changing anything there AFAIK. If you can give specific places where it happens, I can take a closer look at the spells and effects involved.

* Bandoth razorvine quest doesn't seem to work properly. He'll only ask you to retrieve it if you talk to him before finding his dead apprentice, Kalabac. Otherwise, he won't even mention it, despite you having it on your inventory. Would it be possible to fix this?

Also, asking him about the evil that plagues the area makes him go hostile and leave the area awkwardly (says something like 'excuse me, I got things to do, I'll be right back'). For all I know, it might be intended, I just found it odd.

Will take a look.

These items are all flagged as unsellable, like most quest items are. Since the bags of holding are considered stores, you can not place them into the bags. (Yeah, it's annoying they give you a dumb message that has nothing to do with the actual error.)

Most clear. Thank you, Cam.

Dunno about the confusion effects; the fixes aren't changing anything there AFAIK. If you can give specific places where it happens, I can take a closer look at the spells and effects involved.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was a Tweaks issue. It happens all throughout the game. At the beginning, mostly with traps, I just thought my dispels weren't of enough level, but seeing half my party get confused in Burial Isle and wasting three dispel magic spells at levels 11+ to no avail, I thought I should mention it. Not that it matters that much, I'm probably just being paranoid.

BTW, removing those codes did the job as expected. :cry:

Guest grogerson

Cam's already got a fix for this, and it work. It should be in one of the posts on the first page of this thread. He also has a fix for Evaine's Journal remaining in inventory even after Larrel's supposed to take it. Thanks for both, Cam! ;)

I've never had this problem. Guess I'll have to check this one out myself... :cry:

**New item:

I've also tried a fix of my own (using NI). In IWD your stacking tweaks don't effect yeti pelts or winter wolf hides, but do in HoW and TotL. Here's what I did/found.

Changing the stack properties in IWD will let them stack, but only one remains (like necklaces in v4). There's also no stack count showing.

I copied the HoW misc01 and yeti items to my IWD override. They stack, and have the count showing, but now can't be sold.

Maybe you can take this info to make them stack and sell in IWD. Or maybe not.

Thanks for all your work on this.

Sheesh, the pelt issue makes me feel dumb. In base IWD, they're classed as item type miscellaneous (0) instead of furs/pelts (59), so the component ignores them completely. In the unlimited jewelry stacking component, add this

// yeti and winter wolf pelts classed as Misc (0) not pelts (59)
COPY_EXISTING ~yeti.itm~   ~override~
		  ~misc01.itm~ ~override~
 WRITE_SHORT 0x1c 59 // furs/pelt
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

immediately after

// this file does nothing, it just allows other mods to detect this component
COPY_EXISTING ~sw1h01.itm~ ~override/cdi03070.g3~

and you should have properly stacking pelts in IWD. We may also want to change the item types in the Assorted Fixes.

Argh. Except furs/pelts (59) don't seem to be a valid item type in base IWD. Doing the above will allow them to stack, but no one will buy them unless we also patch every store. We definitely shouldn't be changing their item type in the fixes. :cry:

Ignore the above; replace the existing COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB block with this instead:

PRINT @1
COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.itm$~ ~override~ // looking for gems and jewelry
 READ_SHORT 0x1c "type"	 ELSE 0
 PATCH_IF (("%type%" =  1) OR	  // amulets
		("%type%" = 59) OR	  // furs or pelts
		("%type%" = 34) OR	  // gems
		("%type%" = 33) OR	  // gold
		("%type%" = 10) OR	  // or rings
		("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "misc01" = 0) OR   // winter wuff pelts
		("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "yeti" = 0)) BEGIN // yeti hides
SET "add" = 0
READ_LONG  0x64 "abil_off" ELSE 0
READ_SHORT 0x68 "abil_num" ELSE 0
READ_LONG  0x6a "fx_off"   ELSE 0
READ_SHORT 0x70 "fx_num"   ELSE 0
FOR (index = 0; index < abil_num; index = index + 1) BEGIN
  READ_BYTE  ("%abil_off%" +		(0x38 * "%index%")) "abil_type"
  READ_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x1e + (0x38 * "%index%")) "abil_fx_num"
  PATCH_IF (("%abil_type%" = 1) OR ("%abil_type%" = 2) OR ("%abil_fx_num%" > 0)) BEGIN
	SET "add" = 1
	SET "index" = "%abil_num%" // kill loop
  END
END
PATCH_IF (("%add%" = 0) AND ("%fx_num%" = 0)) BEGIN
  WRITE_SHORT  0x38 9999
  PATCH_IF ("%abil_num%" = 0) BEGIN
	WRITE_SHORT  0x68 1 // one ability
	WRITE_LONG   0x6a ("%fx_off%" + 0x38)
	INSERT_BYTES 0x72 0x38 // inserts new ability of type default (0)
  END
END
 END
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Archived