IWD Tweaks v6

Guest grogerson

Guest Guest

Another bug: In Dragon's Eye, All the villagers that are emprisonned by the lizardmen on first and second floor die prematurely after your party rests around their general area. This effectively breaks the quest where you have to free the little boy Sheemish (son of blacksmith in Kuldahar). The fixpack logfile states that the triggers for the villagers were changed, but it appears they introduced another bug.

Guest grogerson
Another bug: In Dragon's Eye, All the villagers that are emprisonned by the lizardmen on first and second floor die prematurely after your party rests around their general area. This effectively breaks the quest where you have to free the little boy Sheemish (son of blacksmith in Kuldahar). The fixpack logfile states that the triggers for the villagers were changed, but it appears they introduced another bug.

It's a known bug that if you rest after killing the Lizardman King without talking to the girl on level one they all die or disappear and you don't get the XP for their rescue. Try clearing everything else out before taking on the King, then rest in the beetle area if needed before that final battle.

Cam, would you please look at dhjollde.dlg? I suspect there's a problem with states 65 thru 72, at least in a HoW install. It appeared to end early, and there should be something about giving the party Wylfdene's insignia, which certainly did not happen. Of course, I may be missing something...

Yeah, definite problem in both HoW and TotL. State 65:

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 65 SAY #22863
 IF ~Global("Found_Seer", "GLOBAL",0)~ THEN REPLY #22864 GOTO 66
 IF ~Global("Found_Seer", "GLOBAL",1)
  !PartyHasItem("mirror")!PartyHasItem("mirror2")~ THEN REPLY #22865 GOTO 67
  PartyHasItem("mirror")~ THEN REPLY #22866 GOTO 68
  PartyHasItem("mirror2")~ THEN REPLY #22866 EXIT
END

The last transition is the problem--if you've had Tiernon upgrade the mirror (mirror.itm is Mirror of Black Ice, mirror2.itm is the Mirror of Black Ice Amulet) it should also be going to 68, not exiting. Toss this in how-fixes.d:

ADD_TRANS_TRIGGER DHJOLLDE 65 ~False()~ DO 3
EXTEND_BOTTOM DHJOLLDE 65
 IF ~Global("Found_Seer","GLOBAL",1) PartyHasItem("mirror2")~ THEN REPLY #22866 GOTO 68
END

Triggers were tweaked for their dialogues, but this is due to their scripting. Or as grogerson says:

It's a known bug that if you rest after killing the Lizardman King without talking to the girl on level one they all die or disappear and you don't get the XP for their rescue. Try clearing everything else out before taking on the King, then rest in the beetle area if needed before that final battle.

Doesn't mean we can't fix it, question is best solution:

• Villagers don't leave until you speak with the little girl and/or Sheemish
  • Villagers leave but little girl and/or Sheemish remain(s)

Neither make much sense from a role-playing PoV, but I think I prefer the former to the latter.

Guest grogerson

I agree with the first. (I'd forgotten all about that bug... :cry: )

I'll check the fixes and let you know how it turns out.

I've looked at it every way I can, and I'm not seeing anything that would prompt Sheemish to leave early.

The villagers on the first floor all use 4001vil.bcs, which has this in it:

IF
 OnCreation()
 Global("Liz_King_Quest","GLOBAL",1)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
DestroySelf()
END

So the first time the area is loaded with Liz_King_Quest=1, they go away. That variable only gets set after talking to the little girl after the Lizard King is dead, which should make it impossible to miss them for XP.

For the second level, they use d2taldel:

IF
 !Global("EGANIA_MOVE","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
DestroySelf()
END

So, the first time the area loads after Egenia is saved, the villagers leave. Sheemish and the other kids, however, don't use this script; they use d2shekid:

IF
 !Global("SHEEMISH_ESCAPE","GLOBAL",0)
 OnCreation()
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
DestroySelf()
END

They leave on the first load after the Sheemish escapes var goes to 1 (set via Sheemish's dialogue).

It's entirely possible I'm missing something here. If anyone's experienced this, could you provide more details so I can reproduce it?

New lines have been sent to the translators. Once I get 'em back, v7 should be good to go.

Just finished the game with no other crashes. Removing those codes went smoothly, Cam. ;)

A follow-up on Bandoth, I did a quick test with the extra code, and I found something odd, talking to him with Kalabac's Journal CLUAed in works (razorvine quests shows up on the dialog window), but actually retrieving it from her corpse has the same issues as before. :cry:

Guest grogerson

Daulmakan, was that with the Journal, after the journal, or first visit with the razorvine? I had no trouble giving it to Bandoth on my first visit.

Eagerly awaiting v7 :cry:

A follow-up on Bandoth, I did a quick test with the extra code, and I found something odd, talking to him with Kalabac's Journal CLUAed in works (razorvine quests shows up on the dialog window), but actually retrieving it from her corpse has the same issues as before. :cry:

Kalabac's journal and corpse are in ar6003. The area script bumps the Razorvine quest variable to 3 when you find it (killing the quest) so if you obtain the journal and never visit ar6003 the quest remains active.

This appears to be by conscious developer design. The line of reasoning is that you're getting the razorvine extract to trade for info from Bandoth on the lower levels. As Kalabac's journal contains the same information, it removes your character's incentive to finish the quest.

Guest grogerson

I'm in TotL now, and have the bags of holding. Even though I've installed bottomless containers, the bags won't take robes, armor or shields. I thought this was fixed with bottomless containers. Or is it in the adding bags and ammo belts component, which I haven't installed?

Kalabac's journal and corpse are in ar6003. The area script bumps the Razorvine quest variable to 3 when you find it (killing the quest) so if you obtain the journal and never visit ar6003 the quest remains active.

This appears to be by conscious developer design. The line of reasoning is that you're getting the razorvine extract to trade for info from Bandoth on the lower levels. As Kalabac's journal contains the same information, it removes your character's incentive to finish the quest.

I see, thanks, that explains the difference between the diaries. However, I don't agree on the 'conscious developer design' thing, the quest was broken from the start, and I don't see the logic in negating the quest to the player simply because Bandoth doesn't have anything useful to give you because you already have the information. There are several reasons for this, but the simplest answer is XP points.That is, after all, why you do the quests that are thrown in your way. It's really not possible to roleplay 100% of your party actions, if I was deeply concerned with the fate of the Dale, I wouldn't travel to Lonelywood, and if I didn't, I wouldn't play the rest of the game, which makes the 'Full Game' option meaningless. As always, I think it's best to let the player decide if he has enough in-game incentives to do something rather than taking the option away from him. Story wise, I don't think it's particularly unreasonable to wish to help him, any good-aligned party without much experience might want to, I think (doing good no matter what and the like). You can also return to him and brag about how you helped Larrel and wasted Terikan, although there's no 'incentive' to do that. :cry:

I'm in TotL now, and have the bags of holding. Even though I've installed bottomless containers, the bags won't take robes, armor or shields. I thought this was fixed with bottomless containers. Or is it in the adding bags and ammo belts component, which I haven't installed?

From the Tweaks ReadMe:

Add Bags of Holding

Requires Heart of Winter

Heart of Winter added support for bags of holding, and scattered a few scroll cases and gem bags about the game. Trials of the Luremaster added bags of holding, but only to its new areas. This component adds ammo belts throughout the game as well as adding some bags of holding to the original Icewind Dale and Heart of Winter areas. This component also alters normal bags of holding (both the TotL ones as well as the new ones) to hold any type of items. By default, you could not place armor, miscellaneous items, and some shields into them. Ammo belts are added to Conlan, Lehland, Emmeric, and Hobart (TotL) and Bags of Holding are added to Orrick the Grey, Bandoth, and Kiernan Nye (TotL).

;)

EDITED for typos (Daul is tired).

Guest Guest
I've looked at it every way I can, and I'm not seeing anything that would prompt Sheemish to leave early.

The villagers on the first floor all use 4001vil.bcs, which has this in it:

IF
 OnCreation()
 Global("Liz_King_Quest","GLOBAL",1)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
DestroySelf()
END

So the first time the area is loaded with Liz_King_Quest=1, they go away. That variable only gets set after talking to the little girl after the Lizard King is dead, which should make it impossible to miss them for XP.

For the second level, they use d2taldel:

IF
 !Global("EGANIA_MOVE","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
DestroySelf()
END

So, the first time the area loads after Egenia is saved, the villagers leave. Sheemish and the other kids, however, don't use this script; they use d2shekid:

IF
 !Global("SHEEMISH_ESCAPE","GLOBAL",0)
 OnCreation()
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
DestroySelf()
END

They leave on the first load after the Sheemish escapes var goes to 1 (set via Sheemish's dialogue).

It's entirely possible I'm missing something here. If anyone's experienced this, could you provide more details so I can reproduce it?

New lines have been sent to the translators. Once I get 'em back, v7 should be good to go.

Cam, here's what happened in my game, which I'm almost 100 % sure I remember correctly. What happened is I didn't kill the lizardman king first (though fight). I instead went down to where the villagers are (they were alive and well). After killing a couple of lizzies, I saved my game and decided to rest (villagers were visible on the screen at that time). I triggered a random encountered, so had to reload. Upon reloading, that's when I noticed the dead bodies of the villagers. I didn't understand what had just happened because when I saved the villagers were alive ! It might have been resting that triggered this, then I unconsciouly saved right after, but still, all of this happened BEFORE killing the lizardman king... and I never spoke to a villager or little girl.

As for the second level with Egania, I didn't do anything special. I cleared the right side of the map first, then the left side, where you eventually meet Egania. She talks about the prisonners, in her conversation, I also asked her to watch over me while I rested (and I rested). Then when I went to where villagers are supposed to be, there was no one, and Sheemish wasn't there either.

Since I'm here, is there an easy way (with a command line tool?) to reset the Sheemish global variable so I can go back there and get him ?

Guest Guest

I was wanted to know if this is being looked for, and I added a new bug too:

- Glyph of Warding Crashing the game with assorted fixes installed

- Dragon's Eye level 4 crashes upon loading with assorted fixes installed (see my previous reply about assertion failure)

-The script Cleric Defensive (cleric2) doesn't cast Cure Moderate wounds ever. Annoying ! :-p

I'm getting crashes with the spell on IWD even without fixes installed. Anyone else want to take a look here? The cleric casts it, the glyph shoots out, then it crashes. HoW games are fine--even with the HoW graphics and spell file, base IWD is still crashing.

- Dragon's Eye level 4 crashes upon loading with assorted fixes installed (see my previous reply about assertion failure)

This was already answered.

-The script Cleric Defensive (cleric2) doesn't cast Cure Moderate wounds ever. Annoying ! :-p

Beyond the scope of a fix.

Guest Guest

I'm getting crashes with the spell on IWD even without fixes installed. Anyone else want to take a look here? The cleric casts it, the glyph shoots out, then it crashes. HoW games are fine--even with the HoW graphics and spell file, base IWD is still crashing.

This was already answered.

Beyond the scope of a fix.

For Glyph, I tried without assorted fixes and it works fine. I don't have HoW installed. This is wierd if it works with HoW !

Sorry about Dragon's Eye fix, totally didn't realise this reply for that bug (so much code in a post is scary). Thanks !

For Cleric script, well, too bad then. I saw that you fixed the wizard scripts not casting Larloch's minor drain, so I had my hopes up.

Archived