Resurrecting Dynaheir

I believe this strengthens the impact of the torture, solves the problem of reintroducing the other half of a pair, and provides a rather awkward end to a romance if you confess that you effectively condemned your partner's old lover to death.

Or maybe they will understand in the end.

Somehow, I do not remember hearing it before. (I like it, if it isn't clear). But, assuming the technical side is easy, what to do with many NPC-related mods which take Khalid's and Dyna's deaths for granted? I think it's the only serious problem.

(... okay, I have a feeling that somebody said this the last time, too).

First I have heard of this idea. It works. I like it.

I agree though that it would have some heavy problems with mod consistency. Especially as in a romance with Dynaheir, several BG1 NPC Team members have worked for over a year to get the cutscene on Tutu right so that Dynaheir dies before your eyes regardless of your install (no BGT version, which brings in another oddity, which is how does this work if someone install BGT...).

I am afraid I am booked solid with other stuff and cannot volunteer to contribute materially to the idea. But this sounds like the only reasonable way of doing it.

Especially as in a romance with Dynaheir, several BG1 NPC Team members have worked for over a year to get the cutscene on Tutu right so that Dynaheir dies before your eyes regardless of your install...

I cursed the day I decided to put it in! :)

I liked it, Domi - it was just tough for us all to learn how to code!!! It was worth every ounce of effort, from the hours you spent coding it and setting it up, all the way through CamDawg's final revisit a coulple of months ago to make timings and spellres materials work smoother!

I hadn't expected so many responses ;)

OK, I'll try and adress the main points.

I think it's probably better if Minsc dies if you want to have Dynaheir, as was suggested. It'd give the PC another reason to go after Irenicus, and adds sorrow to the opening seqence.

I love SimDing0's idea. Do you mind if I use it?

I probably won't make the Pc choose between Khalid and Jaheira, much as I love Khalid, I think his death is integral to the plot, wheras I think Dyna got bumped off so players could take Minsc solo, her death is never really commented on, apart from Aerie and Minsc. And with Mincs out of the picture, neither he nor Aerie will comment on Dyna's death, resolving the inconsitencies.

Not sure how I'll get Dyna out of the cage. I suppose either creating a key, or maybe a potion of strength....

The more I think about it, the more the clone idea doesn't work. I only hit on it cause the clone Ellesime has the same speech pattern as Dyna, so I thought maybe somwething was cut from the game.

As for mod inconsitencies, as far as I'm aware, only Kivam comments on her death, and I could perhaps add a variable to that dialouge (with the author's permission :) ). Tortured Souls could cause problames, but that refuses to install on my BG2 install, so I'll have to leave that. Turnabout gives you the oppurunity to ressurect Dyna. I'll put something in my readme, saying that you sahouln't bring her back at the end, it'll cause problame with the epilouge.

As for BG1NPC, the cutscene only happens in the romance, I think.

The only way round is to either not romance Dyna (I don't like that idea), or for people who did the romance to choose Minsc at the start of BG2.

Wow, that was longer than I'd planned :) . I'll write and code the mod solo, unless anyone wants to help. I don't plan on writing a romance or a quest, my codind skills are very poor at the moment. :)

I'll write and code the mod solo, unless anyone wants to help.

I really respect this attitude. Good luck.

Not sure how I'll get Dyna out of the cage. I suppose either creating a key, or maybe a potion of strength....

You could place her outside of the cage, and say that she summoned her last ounces of strength to teleport herself out, or she has managed to break the lock, but the cage re-sealed itself, or just that she managed to get out on her own/the lock was broken.

I think nearly every custom NPC out there mentions, at least in passing, that Khalid and Dynaheir are dead - or there's a PC reply in the mod indicating it. Probably the best solution would be to ignore it for now.

She could have been assumed dead but in her witchy way managed to cling to life in a what amounted to a brief coma. Maybe a shaman-like experience where in some sort of dream/astral state she was aided by a spirit guide.

It might be an interesting wrinkle to have a non-playable BG1 NPC who makes a cameo, such as Garrick or Coran, have been adventuring with her at the time Minsc was lost. She could elaborate a bit more about that dark day if the party speaks to that individual.

I think players would enjoy getting a window on the lore of Rashemen. The culture is detailed in each edition's FRCSs and the 3rd edition book Unapproachable East. Myself, I think I would emphasize the shamanism of the witch society.

If you really wanted to go to town on that, there's the 2nd edition book "Shaman" (9507) which you could use to customize a new BG2 kit for her, the Shaman.

I was always of the understanding that the only reason that Minsc's cage was damaged and could not be opened by a key was because Minsc had already tried to break out unsuccessfuly and thereby damaged the cage.

If Minsc was never in the cage then it's not going to be damaged and it can be opened by the same key that opens Jaheira's cage.

Tortured Souls could cause problames, but that refuses to install on my BG2 install, so I'll have to leave that.

Don't worry about TS's Dynaheir. It's a small Easter Egg in the mod, of no significance to any serious mod.

The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that removing Minsc for Dynaheir is probably the way to go.

It gives you Dynaheir, you won't hear Minsc bemoaning Dynaheir's death, you probably won't see much (any) of the mod content that mentions this because most of that is probably between Minsc and Charname, afterall who is Charname going to talk to about Dynaheir if not Minsc?

Avenging Minsc's death is butt-kicking for goodness!

Archived