Possible bug with Icewind Dale casting graphics

Hello,

I've been installing a mega-mod, and I came across a spell-altering phenomenon where my cloudkill spell's animation came out as several tinier versions of the cloudkill spell, each image of which was inserted within a green rectangle - even worse than this ugly animation, the cloudkill wouldn't seem to affect any creatures, and would fizzle out within two or three seconds. I then , again, installed all the other spell-altering mods beforehand, but , this time not with the BG2Tweaks "IceWind Dale Casting Graphics" component, and the cloudkill spell now works fine - so it's rather unlikely to be due to any other mod. I also remember vaguely from past TOB+TDD games that this Icewind-Dale Casting Graphics component was responsible for previous foul-ups. All this is a great pity as I've far preferred the Icewind-Dale spell animations to the Bg2 equivalent.

(Note:- I'm not necessarily suggesting there is a bug, as such - there may just be an issue where the Icewind Dale spell-casting component doesn't completely overwrite the previous spell-files, after a previous mod (or bugfix component) has slightly altered the relevant spell. Perhaps something could be done in this regard, such as completely overwriting any previous animations added in from other mods(but not introducing any other changes to the spell's duration/damage etc., if such changes have been made by other mods)

In my two lists, I have BG2Tweaks "IceWind Dale Casting Graphics" component, and SpellPack installed - just like you do - and I do not, nor have ever, seen this behavior.

Perhaps if you can give us more information about the "previous foul-ups" that "Icewind-Dale Casting Graphics component was responsible for," we can see if this relevant.

In my two lists, I have BG2Tweaks "IceWind Dale Casting Graphics" component, and SpellPack installed - just like you do - and I do not, nor have ever, seen this behavior.

Perhaps if you can give us more information about the "previous foul-ups" that "Icewind-Dale Casting Graphics component was responsible for," we can see if this relevant.

I also have AdPack installed. One component of AdPack changes the colour of the "CloudKill" spell. Luckily, AdPack, unlike most other mods, allows minuscule editing via inserting these punctuation commands , /* and */ at the beginning and end of the relevant spell-code, so that I can exclude that spell from being changed. We'll see if that works.

As for the previous foulups I mentioned, those happened the last few times I played through BG2, which was c.2.5 years ago - all I can remember was that spellcasting was ruined by that component, and that I'd been doing a primarily TOB+TDD game, with Tactics and a few NPC mods installed.

Archived