Acid Arrow v Protection from Acid

From Ana on IRC:

when you cast a melf acid arrow to someone protected against acid (mage spell lvl 5), the target will suffer the acid spasms preventing it to cast spells but wont lose any HP (acif protection). Anyway, this shouldnt be so, if its protected against acid, it shouldnt have any weird spasm

If this is the case, we can add explicit immunity vs MAA.

I know how hard it is to try to remember everything, so...

<LBC_Immort> 2- when you cast a melf acid arrow to someone protected against acid (mage spell lvl 5), the target will suffer the acid spasms preventing it to cast spells but wont lose any HP (acif protection). Anyway, this shouldnt be so, if its protected against acid, it shouldnt have any weird spasm

Also, Memnoch says that this also happens with other spells. I'll try and give you more information about this when he can tell me which other spells he found. :)

I think we'll need to expand this to add evocation spells...

Memnoch says:

"It happens with almos all evocation spells (fireballs, chain lightning, ice storms, flaming clouds). The target, even though is immune to every kind of damage makes the move as it was hit, even though no HPs are lost. It also interrupts spell casting and nullify image progections (lvl 7).

Even if the target is immune to magic energy and you cast a horrid wilting, the target also makes the same movement."

Hope it helps! :)

I see no harm in changing this. The in-game spell description for Protection From Acid (SPWI517.SPL) clearly states that the spell should grant "complete invulnerability to all acid based attacks whether magical or non-magical such as acid arrow or creature special attacks".

The exact same wording is used for all spells which confer 100% resistance to a certain damage type i.e. Protection From Fire (SPWI319.SPL), Protection From Cold (SPWI320.SPL), Protection From Electricity (SPWI512.SPL) and Protection From Magic Energy (SPWI606.SPL).

I think part of devSin's objections may also have something to do with the ugliness required to change something like this. Melf's Acid Arrow is easy; just a 206 opcode to the PfA spell. Preventing something like this from an item is a bigger pain, as you first have to shuffle the effects off into a spell and then add another 206.

And yet another spell bug by Memnoch:

"Imagine you are in the middle of a battle and a mage casts protection against magical weapons. You cast timestop at the same time.

This timestop will modify the duration of the other mage's protection.

If timestop is 3 rounds and protection against magical weapons last 4 rounds, then when the timestop is over, the other mage will have only 1 round left of his protection.

This shouldnt be so and the other mage should have his full 4 rounds because in the area affected by the timestop only the caster can move."

Archived