happy.2da

Guest Iroquois

Guest Iroquois

Hello all. I've tried editing the happy.2da and putting it in override, but it doesn't seem to do anything. how do you successfully edit the happy.2da or is it hardcoded?

What are you trying to edit in happy.2da?

Are you trying to prevent an NPC from leaving at a certain reputation, or are you trying to change the reputation at which all NPCs complain/make happy noises?

If it's the former, I can post a link later on.

Because of the way happy.2da works, you can't edit it selectively for only one NPC, so you might want to be careful, as any changes you make will affect other mods (and BioWare) as well.

Guest Iroquois
What are you trying to edit in happy.2da?

Are you trying to prevent an NPC from leaving at a certain reputation, or are you trying to change the reputation at which all NPCs complain/make happy noises?

If it's the former, I can post a link later on.

Because of the way happy.2da works, you can't edit it selectively for only one NPC, so you might want to be careful, as any changes you make will affect other mods (and BioWare) as well.

So far I see you can edit their script or change their alignment to stop them from leaving, but that is not the reason I am doing this. The reason is I am not pleased with neutral values for reputation. I want to change the reputation values at which they make happy comments or leave the group. Neutral characters are never happy, and they do not leave the group at maximum reputation. I want neutrals to be happy at 3-13 reputation and leave the group at maximum reputation.

The happy in the 7-13 range is already accomplished with BG2 Tweaks, so you might want to look there for code. You could probably use a variation on the same to make neutral characters leave at maximum rep, just as they already leave at 3.

Guest Iroquois
The happy in the 7-13 range is already accomplished with BG2 Tweaks, so you might want to look there for code. You could probably use a variation on the same to make neutral characters leave at maximum rep, just as they already leave at 3.

As far as I can tell, all this does is put in an edited happy.2da into the override, like other happy mods, but unless I am missing something has no effect in game. Opening the happy.2da under 2DA or Override in NearInfinity shows the same default values.

1. Is your BG2 Tweaks up to date? The "Happy Neutrals" component was only introduced in Version 4 of BG2 Tweaks.

2. The "Happy Patch" is different; although it also tweaks the HAPPY.2DA file it changes different cells to the "Happy Neutrals" tweak. So, are you sure you have installed "Happy Neutrals"?

3. Neither "Happy Patch" nor "Happy Neutrals" simply replace or overwrite HAPPY.2DA. They each write individually to the appropriate cells of the table. (As of Version 4, anyway.)

4. The "Happy Neutral" range is actually 7-12, not 7-13 (last time I checked). If you are testing with your party already at Reputation 13, you won't hear the neutrals being happy.

5. If you've installed "Change Jaheira to Neutral Good" component of BG2 Tweaks, her happiness value is now taken from the Good column, not the Neutral column.

I don't know whether any of the above is applicable to your situation, but in any case you can (fairly safely) manually edit the HAPPY.2DA file to your liking. Just remember that its values work in increments of 80:

-160 Break

-80 Unhappy

0 Nothing

80 Happy

Hope this is useful to you.

Cheers,

Luiz.

Guest Iroquois
1. Is your BG2 Tweaks up to date? The "Happy Neutrals" component was only introduced in Version 4 of BG2 Tweaks.

2. The "Happy Patch" is different; although it also tweaks the HAPPY.2DA file it changes different cells to the "Happy Neutrals" tweak. So, are you sure you have installed "Happy Neutrals"?

3. Neither "Happy Patch" nor "Happy Neutrals" simply replace or overwrite HAPPY.2DA. They each write individually to the appropriate cells of the table. (As of Version 4, anyway.)

4. The "Happy Neutral" range is actually 7-12, not 7-13 (last time I checked). If you are testing with your party already at Reputation 13, you won't hear the neutrals being happy.

5. If you've installed "Change Jaheira to Neutral Good" component of BG2 Tweaks, her happiness value is now taken from the Good column, not the Neutral column.

I don't know whether any of the above is applicable to your situation, but in any case you can (fairly safely) manually edit the HAPPY.2DA file to your liking. Just remember that its values work in increments of 80:

-160 Break

-80 Unhappy

0 Nothing

80 Happy

Hope this is useful to you.

Cheers,

Luiz.

I have tried editing the happy.2da myself with a 2da editor and putting it in override. I have tried using the Happy Group Scripts/Dialogues from Baldurdash. I have tried installing the "Neutrals make happy comments at Mid-Range Reputation" from the BG2Tweaks-v4. I create a new game, then MoveToArea Waukeens Promenade and start raising reputation. My neutral, good, and evil npc reactions are the same. Neutrals are quiet, good are happy, and evil get mad. I am on TOB 26498 with no modifications other than Baldurdash Fixpack112.

Hmm, then I'm pretty much stumped. Especially if you've tried manually editing HAPPY.2DA and not gotten any effect. That really should work, regardless of anything else (as far as I know).

Speculative stuff:

1. I don't know how well the Baldurdash Fixes mesh with BG2 Tweaks. Generally you either go with all Baldurdash or all G3 Fix/Tweak Packs. Perhaps this is a problem?

2. Are you using the English/American version of the game. I know the voice files for Happy Neutrals exist in that version, but perhaps (wild speculation), they aren't in non-English language versions?

3. Are you waiting a while after Reputation changes to see if any of the party make new comments? While it is common for NPCs to speak their comments immediately after a change in the Reputation value sometimes you might have to wait a while to hear anything.

Cheers,

Luiz.

Archived