variable for any active PC romance

jastey

I assume it would be possible somehow, but still I would like to know the answer in advance. Would it be possible (technically and concerning motivation :) ) to give a variable if any of the included mod-romances are 1. active in flirt status or 2. committed? Something like "Global("xx_PCRomanceActive",GLOBAL",1)" for "PC has romance interests" and "Global("xx_PCRomanceActive",GLOBAL",2)" for "PC committted herself to another man (or woman)".

It's a principle question since I don't have a mod in beta that would require this yet, but I would have use for it in my BGII Ajantis as well as a RE component I am thinking about writing. In the RE component it's a non-joinable NPC that wouldn't hit on an engaged woman.

What I'm asking for is a general check for NPCs that don't do the romancing themselfs, so they don't have an own RA variable.

I don't know whether I understand your comment correctly. The detection of other NPC romances I wanted to leave to CBP entirely, meaning if it isn't installed neither of my Helm Pladins will comment.

But inside the mods I would use such a variable: For Ajantis engaged path I want him to react to other flirt scenarios, and for Bjornin I want him to know whether the PC is committed to someone else without having to communicate with all NPC mod-authors out there.

EDIT: Did you mean to put the cross-mod NPC romance dialogues into the CM? For Bjornin there won't be any. For Ajantis it will be general Ajantis-PC dialogue that also covers the Anomen romance until I get to writing specific NPC romance conflicts, in collaboration with the author(s).

But inside the mods I would use such a variable: For Ajantis engaged path I want him to react to other flirt scenarios, and for Bjornin I want him to know whether the PC is committed to someone else without having to communicate with all NPC mod-authors out there.

I think you might have to communicate anyway. See this thread.

As I understand, currently things stand like this: standard romance kills, a-la "Kill other romances is mine is at 2, kill my romance if another is at 2", are all right, for anything else you need to communicate with each relevant author, or not write any content.

About Romantic Encounters: seeing how we are writing down all RE variables in the readme for other romance folks to use, I understand other modders are free to use RE romance variables for reactions? I'll duplicate this in RE thread.

Yes, all romances that say "can be killed by other romances" will be shut off, unless I collaborate with the relevant mod author.

But then there is Solaufein, and maybe other NPCs that hit on an engaged woman will follow, so I would like to have an overall, "official" way of detecting this, especially since the dialogue is a general Ajantis-PC dialogue without mentioning of any specific names.

EDIT: Maybe I missed your point. The dialogue in the Ajantis mod I am talking about goes a la "<CHARNAME>, I have the impression there might be other men that are interestd in you, may I remind you of your duites as an engaged woman and shut down any approachings of other men", I don't think I need approval of other NPC mod authors for that.

EDIT2: For Bjornin no NPC name would be mentioned either, so I don't see the need of approval there, either.

EDIT: Maybe I missed your point. The dialogue in the Ajantis mod I am talking about goes a la "<CHARNAME>, I have the impression there might be other men that are interestd in you, may I remind you of your duites as an engaged woman and shut down any approachings of other men", I don't think I need approval of other NPC mod authors for that.

Okay, so in order to do this you'd be checking if AnomenRomanceActive = 2, yeah? (To check if she is in a serious romance with Anomen). I'm saying that Crossmod Romance Conflicts could then add to that list based on it's list of 'serious male romance' variables. It's not an issue of permission, it's just that Crossmod automatically adding to that list with an algorithm is a lot nicer than you having to figure out the list of variables by hand.

It's not an issue of permission, it's just that Crossmod automatically adding to that list with an algorithm is a lot nicer than you having to figure out the list of variables by hand.

I thought that all current Crossmod Banter Pack components were to be approved by both authors(Romance Conflicts included)?

I mean, checking if the romance variable is in the list for a specific script(Romance Conflicts) is cool, but Ajantis acknowledging Xan is not.

I thought that all current Crossmod Banter Pack components were to be approved by both authors(Romance Conflicts included)?

Well yes, all banters between NPCs have permission from both authors. For Romance Conflicts its more a case of them saying 'yes they can be killed and/or kill romances but don't do it in case X, Y or Z'.

it's just that Crossmod automatically adding to that list with an algorithm is a lot nicer than you having to figure out the list of variables by hand.
I thought I am asking for exactly this, that the status of "some NPC romances the PC" is tracked via CrossMod and CrossMod sets a variable that I can use in my mod for a generalised, no-NPC specific Ajanti-PC dialog.

but Ajantis acknowledging Xan is not.
What exactly do you meam by this? Honestly, I do not think I need your permission if Xan romance detection might trigger a general Ajantis-PC dialogue about the duties of an engaged woman. For me, that is the same as if Xan sets Ajantis RA to 3 and Ajantis starts a PC-dialogue that she left him for another man.
What exactly do you meam by this? Honestly, I do not think I need your permission if Xan romance detection might trigger a general Ajantis-PC dialogue about the duties of an engaged woman. For me, that is the same as if Xan sets Ajantis RA to 3 nad Ajantis starts a PC-dialogue that she left her for another man.

Yes, but the fact that you think so doesn't mean all other modders thinks so, either. I would disagree in this case. Here is why:

- Placing something like this into Crossmod Banter Pack(Ajantis noticing Xan's romance and saying something) means to a player that both authors gave their approval for this. I, in this case, did not, since you mention you weren't going to ask anyone. So, naturally, I'm against placing something into a mod which assumes I gave my content, when I didn't.

- If you would like to write Xan-Ajantis material for all occasions, including this one, I'll gladly assist.

- If you're going to include something with Xan in your mod, under your name, without asking me - I don't see how I could stop you. I naturally promise to let the players know if it breaks my intentions for the project, but that's that.

I hope my position is more clear now - if you feel it is not, please, ask.

??

are we restricting variables to stop modders from being able to react to our content?

??

I don't understand - we use Bioware variables to trigger our work, including dialogue, and we do not have permission from them to do so. I do not see a problem with including generic variables that determine content available. What the modder does with them is their business.

Or am I misunderstanding the request?

If it is honestly a problem including such a general check in this mod, Jastey, we can work together and set up something specific for Ajantis which does the same thing. It would just be easier for everyone if it was done here, so that modders can avoid heavily laden scripts. I, for one, would find it useful for some projects I have in the planning stages; and I do not intend to allow anyone (well, except berelinde, and she I can argue with privately :) ) to dictate what my view of the characterizations are, up to and including what NPCs are available for what treatment. I won't add content for an NPC mod, but I certainly will want to take their choices (whether I like them or not) into account when writing dialogue and allowing/disallowing quest choices from appearing, because it helps avoid making incompatable storylines.

I guess I do not understand the objection.

(Then again, I respect you folks working together on the RA variable usage, but I have to say I don't see the necessity of being protective by actively forcing a modder to undo everything you have done if they want their own work to move things differently. I would be one ticked off female if I tried to have a multi-romance and had to manually undo all of you ladie's work in order to freely enjoy the mod the way *I * want to as a player - I have the same frustration with good modders who use WeiDU but wish to restrict the game to their own personal vision. We have a distribution system in place for that - just .rar the override, drop it in place, and you have a great full stable mod that is exactly your way, and noone elses. But now I am just getting grumpy and mean and should go mod instead of polluting other folk's forums :) ).

I would be one ticked off female if I tried to have a multi-romance and had to manually undo all of you ladie's work in order to freely enjoy the mod the way *I * want to as a player -

You don't have to manually undo any of my work to multiromance with Xan.

I won't add content for an NPC mod, but I certainly will want to take their choices (whether I like them or not) into account when writing dialogue and allowing/disallowing quest choices from appearing, because it helps avoid making incompatable storylines.

... right, but you do not write in your mod's description, pinned thread or readme that your mod-related stuff was approved by all relevant authors, do you?

As long as Crossmod allows this:

Can be killed by other romances?: 0

I want Crossmod to give a variable that another romance is active, and I want to be allowed to react to this in a general way (without naming any NPC or mentioning any specific situation.)

In such a case, if NPC -mod author X interfers into my romance by allowing his NPC to romance engaged <CHARNAME>, I want to be able to have my NPC react to this situation in a general way (no naming, no mentioning of a specific situation) without having to seek the other mod's author's consent. EDIT: For the situation that all relevant variables are given by Crossmod.

Kulyok: I didn't, ever, talk about integrating reactions to other NPC romances without the author's consent. I was asking whether it would be possible to generalize this via Crossmod, as it was done with the romance conflicts.

And since it seems I can't get a general trigger to prevent Bjornin to romance a committed PC (I am pretty sure we could get an agreement for Xan), I don't see myself writing a Bjornin BGII romantic encounter.

Archived