Handling of romance conflicts in Crossmod

jastey

I have a problem with the fact that due to Crossmod allowing NPC romances to continue for engaged <CHARNAME>, romance conficts are not handled for all (participating) NPCs via Crossmod, making some NPC mod romances dominating others, and spoiling others by making the PC's beloved blind for a rival.

(I am surprised that although there have been polls and discussions about how distasteful it is if an NPC romances committed <CHARNAME>, this suddenly doesn't seem to be a problem if introduced by Crossmod, THE official mod for NPC conflicts. Since one of the participating mod authors already refused their consence, there won't be variables available that give a general information about whether the PC is romancing or in a committed relationship for all NPC romances.)

Possible solutions I see would be the following:

1. Interdict the case of "romance does not get killed by others".

2. Allow it but give a general variable that there exists a rival. So, if a mod author taggs the "can be killed by other romances" with a "0" he gives his agreement for this variable to be set and for the relevant mod author using it for a general talk (general in the meaning of no NPC names or specific situations are mentioned, but the fact of a rival can be mentioned.) I vavor this one.

This is an important matter to me, since up to now I assumed Crossmod would be sufficient for me to handle romance conflicts, but this is not the case currently.

I have a problem with the fact that due to Crossmod allowing NPC romances to continue for engaged <CHARNAME>, romance conficts are not handled for all (participating) NPCs via Crossmod, making some NPC mod romances dominating others, and spoiling others by making the PC's beloved blind for a rival.

Okay, there has been one case where someone has refused to have a kill or be-killed variable set to 1. This is in the case of Weimer's Solaufein, because in the spirit of the mod he doesn't want Solaufein's romance killed immediately if another becomes serious. Fair enough, that's how Weimer wrote the romance i.e., so that Solaufein isn't swayed by <CHARNAME> romancing some other person, and will try regardless. If a romance author has a problem with this then they are perfectly free to write a manual block that kills Sola's romance once their NPC's romance becomes serious. I believe Weimer/Jason's point here was that the other party involved should manually interject and say 'WTF are you doing with Solaufein?' rather than some automatic assumption that Sola will back off (because that's not in his character).

I wrote the Romance Conflict component simply to save authors trying to write blocks for every possible romance by hand as it's completely impractical. As previously stated there has been precisely one exceptional case and if someone has a problem with it, they are perfectly free to deal with that one manually.

My apologies, if my posts in this forum seemed to show an attitude of some sort. On the contrary, I think Crossmod concept and implementation is genius and thank you deeply for your efforts. I never imagined an own romance conflict, but wanted to lay everything into CM hands, so to say.

Still, in the process of thinking about the romance conflict, somehow it was hard for me to understand three things:

1. There are mod authors that do not wish any reference to their mod (even without mentioning their NPC's name) without their explicit consent.

2. see 1.

3. see 1.

I think I got it now, and will try to respect. Promise. :cry:

Archived