question about protection from poison scroll

Guest John

I hope this is the right place for my question(s).

In prepping to fight Ihtafeer, my pc cast the protection from poison scroll on himself. AIUI, the scroll provides complete protection against poison for 6 hours. Yet, when the fight started and she cast her gas spell, my pc was taking damage. I do not recall seeing her cast any dispel or remove magic spells.

I had never used the protection scroll before, so I was very surprised when I saw this happening. I was under the impression that Ihtafeer's attack was cloudkill, which is described in so many words as a poison attack; it sure looks like it in the game.

So to my question(s).

If she is casting cloudkill, then shouldn't the Protection from Poison scroll have worked?

Does this mean that there is a bug with it?

In other games, I've used the Poison Protection amulet taken from the rakshasa while fighting spiders and walking through cloudkill attacks, and it does protect against the effects of the poison and cloudkill. I was thinking that the Protection from Poison scroll provided the same protection as the amulet but only for 6 hours.

Thanks,

John

That ought to have been added back in V3.

Quick question, if I may: are you sure it wasn't Death Fog? Rakshasa also get to cast that (whether or not they've memorized it) and it's acid rather than poison.

If it wasn't, we've goofed somewhere.

That ought to have been added back in V3.

Quick question, if I may: are you sure it wasn't Death Fog? Rakshasa also get to cast that (whether or not they've memorized it) and it's acid rather than poison.

If it wasn't, we've goofed somewhere.

Sorry Nythrun :cry: Bless me for being an idiot ;)

I went back and re-played tha start of the fight. Reading the text more closely, it does say death fog, not cloudkill, For whatever reason, I thought rakasha cast cloudkill, had bought the scroll for this fight, particularly because when the loot from Ihtafeer's corpse is the Periapt and the death fog and cloudkill visual effects look alike to me.

Time for a paradigm shift for me, then. Does this mean that all the other rakshasa, rukh and rajahs also only cast death folg and not cloudkill? If so, there's going to be a run on scrolls of protection from acid in Amn pretty soon :D

Cam Dawg, thanks. I thought the scroll was working right because it displayed the poison protection icon but obviously fooled myself about which spell was being cast by Ihtafeer and thought I had taken proper precautions about protecting my pc. I know from other games that the scroll for protection from acid does work because I've used them in one or two fights.

Thanks,

John

Archived