"Permanent" Mind Shield from the Deck of many things

Guest :(

In one of the draws from the DoMT, you get the permanent Mind Shield effect. This seems to be different from the Mind Shield you get from the Greenstone amulet. And it's not permanent either (I think it wears off after a few days or so). Should both mind shield effects be the same for consistency?

To be more specific, when you're playing against the cambion, its the Emperor card that grants you this permanent mind shield effect. I just want to know why isn't it permanent. And why is this mind shield acting different than the one from the greenstone amulet?

Is it probably a bug in the greenstone amulet itself that makes it incorrectly display the mind shield icon?

Greenstone amulets should provide a mind shield (they're supposed to be great for meetnig illithids in the Pen and Paper game). The Mind Shield from the Emperor card may be intended to be permanent. Many of the effects from the PnP game are permanent, even though The Emperor is not one of the normal cards.

I don't believe it's permanent but is actually long-lasting (like 10K or 50K seconds or something).

Mind shield is an umbrella state in BG2. It gets used for lots of things because it's the only icon they have for protection from mental effects. In one place, it may be used when you only have protection from charm effects, and it may signal protection from a variety of mental effects and psionics in another (such as with the greenstone amulet).

I don't believe it's permanent but is actually long-lasting (like 10K or 50K seconds or something).

I understand, but my point was - why limit the duration to 10k or 50k seconds when the description specifically mentions the word permanent?

Does the BG2 fixpack include the "Deck Of Many Things Emperor Spell Fix" from the Baldurdash fixpack? If so, does that possibly affect the duration?

The mind shield being an umbrella state makes a lot of sense. ???

I understand, but my point was - why limit the duration to 10k or 50k seconds when the description specifically mentions the word permanent?

Where? There's no description for the spell AFAIK.

Does the BG2 fixpack include the "Deck Of Many Things Emperor Spell Fix" from the Baldurdash fixpack? If so, does that possibly affect the duration?

All BD fixes are included. In this case, it's a matter of some of the effects (charm immunity) expiring immediately, instead of lasting 50k seconds like the rest of them.

Archived