BG1 and EasyTutu = problem with Chapter 7, no dukes!

Guest rain4november

Guest rain4november

Dear Baldur's Gate Community,

As a long-time BG1 (and BG2) fan, I recently re-installed my old CD's (the original 5 CD's + 1 CD for the Sword Coast expansion). I then installed the latest patch set (v5512) from BioWare.

I then installed BG2 (Collector's Edition) + the 1 CD for the ToB expansion. I then installed the latest patch set here as well.

Finally, I installed EasyTutu, so I could play BG1 at a higher resolution. I then installed the Baldurdash fixes.

Everything went well for the last month, no bugs or problems. However I'm now near the *very end* and I arrive at the Duchal Palace -- and there are no dukes present to be saved? The palace is completely empty of the dukes... only a few guards and 3 noblemen (unnamed) who have nothing of interest to say. The ballroom is empty.

Any advice? Is this a global variables problem where I may need to reset a variable? I'm sufficiently skilled such that if a variable needs to be reset so I can continue the story, I'd be happy to do so... any experts out there who have either experienced this problem or (ideally) found a way to resolve it?

Many thanks! :cry:

Guest rain4november

p.s. No Saverok present either. This is just after having killed his two assassins in the Underground to obtain the invitations to enter the Palace.

I leave this open to others just in case I am wrong, but I think that you may...

erm... I hate to tell you this, but...

EasyTutu will probably be broken by the badurdash fixes. EasyTutu's documents are very clear - and if you installed the original package of baldurdash, you can't back it out.

Here is something to try. If you have not installed other mods, then it this might work:

1. copy your savegame folder to another directory for safekeeping.

2. either visit PPG and download the "EasyTutu Clean Install" package that lets you revert your installation, or simply uninstall EasyTutu and reinstall it (no need to mess with BG1 or BG2)

3. Run Easytutu to establish a Save folder

4. copy your save into that folder

5. load up your save.

If everything goes well, then you will be ok. You might want to get a save from before you entered the final area, as well, just to make sure.

Before following my advice, please wait a few days and see if someone comes up with a better solution...

Guest rain4november

Hi CMorgan - many thanks for any assistance.

I should note one amendment to my post... I installed Balderdash *before* I installed EasyTutu... somewhere I had read that you could successfully do this if you did Balderdash before EasyTutu?

If not, I'm happy to try and do a reinstall. But do you think that's the gotcha?

Alternatively, is there a trigger global variable that can be reset throught the BG1 console to trigger the appearance of the Dukes? I'm guessing it could be BG1 is flagging it as if either Saverok has either (1) not happened yet, or (2) already happened... thus their absence at the palace currently?

Many thanks!

Alternatively, is there a trigger global variable that can be reset throught the BG1 console to trigger the appearance of the Dukes?

Not really, since your savedgame will already contain the areas you visited.

hmmmm... I will have to think on this one. And investigate. I hope someone comes up with something before I do, but I will give it a shot (it will have to be late tomorrow).

The good news is that you haven't completely destroyed your game, because EasyTutu builds a clean override folder, so Baldurdash is unlikely to be the case (though Macready really recommends just clean, patched originals). There must be something strange going on. You don't have any other mods installed?

I hate to be the bearer of doom and gloom, but it's entirely possible that you got a bum download on Easy Tutu. If those are the only mods you've got installed, it's entirely possible.

Easy Tutu is a phenomenally stable platform. It utterly kicks buttocks, and delivers stable, convenient gameplay (as long as you save before Beregost, but you've got that problem in the vanilla game, as well). When I see a report of an isolated incident where something has gone completely wacky on a minimal installation, an incomplete download is the usual culprit.

The good news there is that you are often all right putting the saved game in a different directory temporarily, following the usual uninstallation procedure, deleting the entire BaldursGateTutu directory, downloading again, and starting from scratch with your pre-Chapter 7 save.

Guest rain4november

Thanks Berelinde and CMorgan - I did in fact try a completely new install (of both BG1 + SC and BG2 + ToB, followed by the latest EasyTutu download). Everything installed smoothly. No other mods installed.

However same problem, both with the savegame -- and if I go back to a savegame from before Chapter 7. No dukes.

It's quite a mystery. Thanks again for trying to figure this one out... ;)

Hmmm... I posted a full detail of this somewhere - I could have sworn it was for you - I will go look at the other forums.

I listed how the whole thing plays out.

I wish I knew what was going wrong, because I have definitely played that scene several times with no problems ;)

Tell you what - if I haven't already done this; send me a copy of your WeiDU.log and the savegame, and I will try to figure out what is up. the email is

svowles at comcast dot net

Guest rain4november

Hi CMorgan - you're right, you did post a script that allowed me to respawn the necessary characters and it seems to work. Merci beaucoup monsieur! ;)

Only one remaining question, is there a way of manually setting the state of Sarevok to "exists" and "is not dead" (i.e., he's alive) ... ?

Many thanks!

Archived