Tutu install and BG1 & 2

usprivateer

Ok, having read the pinned threads several times, I'm now completely confusticated. Dumbed down simple answers would sure be appreciated here. I've spent the last 4 hours or so reading and taking notes, and I'm still unsure of how to do this. The whole TUTU thing is throwing a wrench into it.

I have just purchased the Forgotten Realms Deluxe Edition :p It appears to be UK editions if that makes any difference.

Clicky

I just escaped from the mind-numbing click as fast as you can to fight world of Morrowind. Eye-candy only goes so far, and then you appreciate things like intelligent battle tactics.... (and I miss Minsc ??? )

Anyhoo...

I'd like to install BG1, TotSC, and BG2, along with IWD, HoW, and IWD2. I'd like to install TUTU and play all the way through BG1, TotSC and BG2 and ToB. With a single character. I keep seeing things like having to uninstall TUTU when you reach BG2. I would also like to install some of the more popular mods like TDD, Kari, UB, Saerileth (sp), Auren, and some others.

What I'd be really grateful for is a straight list in install order of core files, followed by mods. You can feel free to add mods to the list that you think are good. I'm particularly interested in Weidu supported mods and game fixes/tweaks as well.

I've played BG2 all the way through a few years ago on my Mac so I'm familiar with the game. I now have a custom gaming rig (WinXP SP2) that beats system reqs by a mile, so no worries there. Net connection is a T1, so large DL's aren't a problem. Have a great big 42 inch plasma screen..... this is gonna be so much fun.....

I suppose to be simple I could just say: send me your fav setup with brief installation instructions and I'll be on my merry little way. My general computer skill is quite high, but I'm no programmer/modder. I normally play good PCs of the Paladin type.

Any and all helpies are greatly appreciated. Have a good weekend folks.

-USP

Well, I'm happy to say that you play a character I can relate to!

First, do a full install of BG1 and ToSC. You can do this by chosing a custom install and checking all the boxes.

Then, do a full install of BG2 and ToB. Install the official patch 26498. Please don't mess with the beta patch, because many users report that it isn't worth the headache.

Now, get your hands on EasyTutu, because it means that you can add mods to your BG2 installation to your heart's content. You see, EasyTutu leaves your BG2 installation alone. It creates another directory and installs the game there. Please read up on it on the link provided. It's a quality product.

You can check this thread for installation order recommendations.

Do you enjoy NPC interaction? Then don't miss out on the BG1 NPC Project, which adds BG2-style NPC interaction to a Tutu installation. You might also like to add other NPC mods like Indira, Finch, or Gavin. I don't know if you'll like Mur'Neth much. He's well-written and entertaining, but he's at his best in an evil party.

Do you enjoy tactical challenges? If so, I urge you to consider Sword Coast Strategems. It adds a great deal to the game.

If I were going to build a Tutu installation, I'd do:

BG1 (full install)

ToSC (full install)

BG2 (full install)

ToB (full install)

Official Patch (26498)

Easy Tutu

Easy Tutu NPC Tweaks

Sirene's Call

Jastey's Slime Quest

(I'd consider adding The Grey Clan Episode One: In Candlelight, but that really does make for some challenging battles)

BG1 NPC Project

BG1 NPC Project Music Pack

Indira (half-elven female fighter/mage)

Finch (gnomish female cleric)

Gavin (human male cleric)

Unfinished Business for Tutu

BG2 Tweaks (yes, that's right - many components work well for Tutu)

Sword Coast Strategems

I would use Easy Tutu, it's much user friendlier than regular Tutu.

http://usoutpost31.com/easytutu/

Others may advise differently but I know this works when things get messed up, so here's what I would say:

Temporarily move or copy any custom files you have such as custom portraits, soundsets, or saved games to a folder outside of the Black Isle folder. Unistall both BG1 and BG2 and delete the Black Isle folder.

Do a fresh install for both BG1/ToSC. For the Forgotten Realms Deluxe Edition I'm not sure if you need to patch or not. Patch if you need to. Hopefully the Easy Tutu directions make that clear.

Do a fresh install for Soa/ToB, and patch as indicated (see what Easy Tutu directions say).

Install Easy Tutu. Just run it in your Black Isle folder and it will create a new folder named 'BaldursGate Tutu' to the Program Files folder. It is this folder, 'BaldursGate Tutu', to which you will install all Tutu mods. Be careful to select that installation path, since many mods will have the SoA folder set as the default.

I've found it's a good idea to place all the mods that you want to use in the folder you're installing them to before un-Rar'ing them and installing them.

Follow the Easy Tutu instructions for the Degreenifier. If I understand Easy Tutu's directions correctly, you do not need to install Tutufix for the most recent version.

BG2 mods are installed to the BG2 folder. Some mods may be used for both BG1 Tutu and BG2, eg, Divine Remix, BG2 Tweaks, etc. You will install them to both the 'BaldursGate Tutu' folder and the SoA folder (assuming you want them for both games).

Be sure to read up on the Easy Tutu 'Beregost bug'. It is easily avoided by following the directions.

As for the mods you want to install, how about listing the ones you want to use and folks here can advise as to the installation order?

Well, I'm happy to say that you play a character I can relate to!

Yep, never understood why some folks enjoy playing evil. Enough of that in RL. Besides, playing the "big damn heroes" is so much more fun.

First, do a full install of BG1 and ToSC. You can do this by chosing a custom install and checking all the boxes.

Then, do a full install of BG2 and ToB. Install the official patch 26498. Please don't mess with the beta patch, because many users report that it isn't worth the headache.

Now, get your hands on EasyTutu, because it means that you can add mods to your BG2 installation to your heart's content. You see, EasyTutu leaves your BG2 installation alone. It creates another directory and installs the game there. Please read up on it on the link provided. It's a quality product.

You can check this thread for installation order recommendations.

Ok. Thank you for the EasyTutu suggestion, I hadn't looked at that. I'll do as you suggest. I did take a look at that link on install orders yesterday. Ended up feeling as though I'd had caterpillars stuffed into my head ??? . I think it may be one of those helpful threads that really only become helpful after you have a decent idea what you're doing; which I don't yet.

If I understand your post above, EasyTutu mirrors the BG2 install to replicate the engine for use with BG1? So... mods to BG1 must be installed in the BG1Tutu folder, but... BG2 installs can go in the normal BG2 folder?

Do you enjoy NPC interaction? Then don't miss out on the BG1 NPC Project, which adds BG2-style NPC interaction to a Tutu installation. You might also like to add other NPC mods like Indira, Finch, or Gavin. I don't know if you'll like Mur'Neth much. He's well-written and entertaining, but he's at his best in an evil party.

NPC interaction is one of the reasons why I like BG so much. Will certainly get the BG1 NPC Project. I'll probably go after all of the NPC mods that are compatible, evil characters can be left at pubs or used as a meat shield. :p IIRC, our buddy Korgann (sp?) died in a suitably heroic and noble manner in my game several years ago.

Do you enjoy tactical challenges? If so, I urge you to consider Sword Coast Strategems. It adds a great deal to the game.

I do enjoy tactical challenges. I don't recall being bored the last time I played BG2 on my Mac. I remember some tough fights. Had to reload on occasion when NPC party members were sent to pixel heaven. I'll throw Sword Coast Strategems into the mix. Can I remove it later if I get frustrated with losing battles?

If I were going to build a Tutu installation, I'd do:

BG1 (full install)

ToSC (full install)

BG2 (full install)

ToB (full install)

Official Patch (26498)

Easy Tutu

Easy Tutu NPC Tweaks

Sirene's Call

Jastey's Slime Quest

(I'd consider adding The Grey Clan Episode One: In Candlelight, but that really does make for some challenging battles)

BG1 NPC Project

Indira (half-elven female fighter/mage)

Finch (gnomish female cleric)

Gavin (human male cleric)

BG2 Tweaks (yes, that's right - many components work well for Tutu)

Sword Coast Strategems

Ok, I'll set about DL'ing all the above and arranging for install. I'll get back to you folks later with some more questions on EasyTutu compatibility, if you don't mind?

Many thanks for the help. Sure has made this a great deal easier.

Cheers,

-USP

Others may advise differently but I know this works when things get messed up, so here's what I would say:

Temporarily move or copy any custom files you have such as custom portraits, soundsets, or saved games to a folder outside of the Black Isle folder. Unistall both BG1 and BG2 and delete the Black Isle folder.

Do a fresh install for both BG1/ToSC. For the Forgotten Realms Deluxe Edition I'm not sure if you need to patch or not. Patch if you need to. Hopefully the Easy Tutu directions make that clear.

Do a fresh install for Soa/ToB, and patch as indicated (see what Easy Tutu directions say).

Uups, I guess I was a bit unclear. My previous installation was on a Mac, new installation and purchase is on a Windows box. No need to do a fresh install as this will be a first, new game.

Install Easy Tutu. Just run it in your Black Isle folder and it will create a new folder named 'BaldursGate Tutu' to the Program Files folder. It is this folder, 'BaldursGate Tutu', to which you will install all Tutu mods. Be careful to select that installation path, since many mods will have the SoA folder set as the default.

I've found it's a good idea to place all the mods that you want to use in the folder you're installing them to before un-Rar'ing them and installing them.

Follow the Easy Tutu instructions for the Degreenifier. If I understand Easy Tutu's directions correctly, you do not need to install Tutufix for the most recent version.

Fortunately, I'm familiar with RAR files and unpacking to the proper path/directory; however your directions are appreciated.

BG2 mods are installed to the BG2 folder. Some mods may be used for both BG1 Tutu and BG2, eg, Divine Remix, BG2 Tweaks, etc. You will install them to both the 'BaldursGate Tutu' folder and the SoA folder (assuming you want them for both games).

Be sure to read up on the Easy Tutu 'Beregost bug'. It is easily avoided by following the directions.

As for the mods you want to install, how about listing the ones you want to use and folks here can advise as to the installation order?

I'll do that later today. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I do try to dig threads to answer questions, but nice to know folks are willing to help.

Is there such a thing as a non-EasyTutu compliant mod?

-USP

Ok, let me make sure I've got this correct.

If I'm understanding correctly, I can do a complete install of all core files (BG1, TotSC, BG2-SoA, ToB), and then add EasyTutu.

I can then mod/fix BG1+TotSC+EasyTutu with compatible mods and play all the way through the "first" game.

I can then unload BG1+TotSC+EasyTutu and related mods, import a save and character into BG2-SoA+ToB, and then mod it and play without EasyTutu?

Unless I've totally misunderstood how this works, it appears as though there are quite a few BG2 mods that will not work with EasyTutu. I'd like to play them, but won't need them for BG1.

Have I totally confused myself and others.........?

-USP

Ok, let me make sure I've got this correct.

If I'm understanding correctly, I can do a complete install of all core files (BG1, TotSC, BG2-SoA, ToB), and then add EasyTutu.

I can then mod/fix BG1+TotSC+EasyTutu with compatible mods and play all the way through the "first" game.

I can then unload BG1+TotSC+EasyTutu and related mods, import a save and character into BG2-SoA+ToB, and then mod it and play without EasyTutu?

Unless I've totally misunderstood how this works, it appears as though there are quite a few BG2 mods that will not work with EasyTutu. I'd like to play them, but won't need them for BG1.

Have I totally confused myself and others.........?

-USP

That's pretty much right, except the default installation creates a new directory for EasyTutu, so you'll have a regular BG1 install, a BG2 install, and a Tutu install. You'll have to mod your Tutu and BG2 installations separately - install all Tutu-specific content on the one install, BG2-specific to the other, and some to both (like BG2 Tweak Pack). When you're done playing Tutu, you import into BG2.

As far as SCS, I found that with all of the different components installed it can be quite tricky, but without it, a lot of the game is too easy for uber-buff BG2-style chars with their fancy kits and weapon styles.

That's pretty much right, except the default installation creates a new directory for EasyTutu, so you'll have a regular BG1 install, a BG2 install, and a Tutu install. You'll have to mod your Tutu and BG2 installations separately - install all Tutu-specific content on the one install, BG2-specific to the other, and some to both (like BG2 Tweak Pack). When you're done playing Tutu, you import into BG2.

As far as SCS, I found that with all of the different components installed it can be quite tricky, but without it, a lot of the game is too easy for uber-buff BG2-style chars with their fancy kits and weapon styles.

Humm.

IIRC, I can tell EasyTutu to co-opt the original installation of BG1 & TotSC, and leave a seperate and functional install of BG2 & ToB. Correct?

I'm not planning on adding any BG2 content at this time with the exception of the BG2 Tweak Pack. I was planning on playing through BG1/TotSC, then unload completely and begin building a mod load for BG2/ToB, to be played without EasyTutu. Is that possible?

Can I still import a save game/character into BG2 if I unload BG1+EasyTutu?

-USP

EasyTutu uses your BG1 and BG2 installs as reference sources, copying what it needs out of each and creating a completely separate third install with a default directory "BaldursGateTutu".

This leaves you with three installs:

1. your original, patched BG1 install, ready for playing and modding in the original state (Say, for instance, you want to try Echon's "Fields of the Dead" mod, which turns BG1 closer to the PnP AD&D rules).

If you want to, you can also have the installer from EasyTutu "eat" this installation, deleting it. I do not suggest this, because you never know when you may want a new EasyTutu install, and while PPG has an easy emergency "clean install" to download and instructions on how to use it, I find it just as fast to uninstall EasyTutu and run a new version out from scratch.

2. your original, patched BG2 install, ready for modding and playing completely free of any restraint from Tutu, and

3. a separate stand-alone EasyTutu install, ready to play, complete with its own desktoop icon and all Macready's bugfixes.

The first stop for you is to visit EasyTutu's links listed abouve and carefully read the documentation. It gicves you simple, step by stemp directions and approved mods.

The second step is to install mods you want for EasyTutu in the directory "BaldursGateTutu", *NOT* you BG2 directory - older mods say "BG2 directory" because Tutu v4 (which takes over your BG2 installation completely) expected it. Now EasyTutu has its own separate dierectory.

The third step is to play through your EasyTutu game. This will take awhile - even dedicated non-working student players take a good bit of time to get through it. THEN you will be ready to do the folowing:

a. copy a savegame from your BaldursGateTutu\Save direftory to your BG II - SoA\Save directory

b. load up BG2 - SoA and inmport your character from that savegame

c. play BG2 continuing all the way through ToB with the same character.

As you have a good gaming rig (so I assume space to burn), my suggestion is install all the BG/2/Tutu baselines, then leave 'em. Go as crazy as you like on EasyTutu, and then start researching BG2 after you have finished EasyTutu. And don't worry; until you get a good ways into the game, it is just 1's and 0's - try stuff out, and if you don't like something, worst case scenario is that you blow away the old installand start over. Since there are hundreds of combuinations of quests and characters to mess with (even for us "goody two shoes" Paladin players ??? ) you won't miss out. If anything, you will have more fun,. because you will get to play things slightly differently.

[edit> well, I was trying to get th typos cleaned up, but I surrender to entropy and will just let them stand. You are on the right track, and you really can't go too far wrong; it should be a blast for you!

Well, fan-fraggin'-tastic. Looks like I'm ready to go. Have spent the better part of two days doing the reading and only wanted to make sure that I didn't need to DL and install complete mods for both BG1Tutu and BG2 before even beginning on BG1.

BG1 (full install)

ToSC (full install)

BG2 (full install)

ToB (full install)

Official Patch (26498)

Easy Tutu

Degreenifier

EasyTutuHotFixes-20070205 (Do I need this?)

Easy Tutu NPC Tweaks

BG1 NPC Project

Indira

Finch

Gavin

BG2 Tweaks

Sword Coast Strategems

RoguesRevampedV37

SongAndSilence-v1

TutuSounds_v4

TutuGUI

Am I missing anything. These will be installed according to the order list in your sticky.

If anyone has comments, alarms, additions, let me know.

Thanks for the helpies folks.

-USP

"I don't wanna Crash"

-Jane Cobb

Mods I would recommend highly for BG1 Tutu (note: this is not an install order):

Sword Coast Stratagems - brilliant scripting that makes enemies behave much smarter (watch out though, this is tough)

BG1 NPC Project - adds greater depth to all your beloved BG1 NPCs

Berserker Minsc by Drew - Minsc given actual Enrage ability, ranger spells removed, and otherwise the same

Gavin - haven't tried him yet myself, but I know he must be topflight because berlinde made him (and he'll fit in great with a paladin-led party)

Mods I would recommend highly for BG1 Tutu (note: this is not an install order):

Sword Coast Stratagems - brilliant scripting that makes enemies behave much smarter (watch out though, this is tough)

BG1 NPC Project - adds greater depth to all your beloved BG1 NPCs

Berserker Minsc by Drew - Minsc given actual Enrage ability, ranger spells removed, and otherwise the same

Gavin - haven't tried him yet myself, but I know he must be topflight because berlinde made him (and he'll fit in great with a paladin-led party)

Yup. SCS is in there. I forgot to list it, my bad. BG1 NPC is in as well. Haven't seen Beserker Minsc. Can you provide a link, and where should it go in install order?

-USP

Edit: Found the Minsc link. Install instructions are a bit fuzzy.

Archived