Something with 2DA

Bardess

Making a talking item that for some reason won't listen to me, I'm wondering what that UNLESS part of appending a 2DA file is for.

And is it important how many spaces there are between columns? I don't understand what is wrong; I compiled its dialogue file and made the item conversable and now it has the button for Converse, but when I click on it, nothing happens. ???

There is no difference to WeiDU processing the .2da if there is a space or a tab in a column in a .2da file. It is there for the ease of the reader. For those folks who like things neat and orderly, the bigg set up PRETTY_PRINT (or some such set of commands) so that .2da's all look nice, but WeiDU doesn't care.

UNLESS is a command to stop there being multiple additions of the same content to a .2da. For example, several mods take Imoen and add a banter file BIMOEN2. The UNLESS stops the addition from happening if WeiDU reads the file and sees that another mod has done it already; that stops a file from looking like

IMOEN	   BIMOEN
imoen		bimoen
Imoen	   BIOMEN
Imoen	   bimoen
ImOeN	  BiMoEn

On earlier code, BG1 NPC ended up with two entries for imoen, one upper case and one lower case. We can't confirm that that caused problems, but atr the very least it was wasteful ???

So, if I write

UNLESS ~Z_zmija~

it should be OK? Z_zmija is the name of the item I've added to that 2da.

Now. I've changed some things, added conditions to the conversation :p (maybe that's why it now works ??? ), but it does strange things.

I don't know if the problem is in my installation, I doubt it.

Normally when someone talks to you, you have

/optional portrait/ NPC's name - Blah blah.

in the dialogue screen. When you talk to my item, it doesn't display its name. There's just the player's portrait and the sentences.

The item's name is a bit long, but then when Fiars gets involved in this conversation (I've APPENDed his J file, is that right?), his name doesn't show either. The stupidest thing is, if you've finished the conversation talking with Fiars, the next time you try to talk to the item, his lines appear, those that started his share.

It happens like this:

(item's portrait) What is it?

(player says) Stupid item. I want to talk to Fiars.

(Fiars's portrait) You can't talk to me now. I'm feeling like singing.

(Fiars's portrait) (Sings something rather stupid.)

(End.)

Next time I want to talk to the item, this will appear:

(Fiars's portrait) You can't talk to me now. I'm feeling like singing.

(Fiars's portrait) (Sings something rather stupid.)

(End.)

Only the next time, the item will talk like it should. I've tried to right this with globals, but it's no help.

Ok, maybe the problem sounded complicated, but I solved it myself. I separated the item's and Fiars's parts of the talk and now the item's dialogue doesn't directly trigger Fiars's, but it sets a global and then his script triggers it.

The not displaying names maybe has something to do with the computer I am currently forced to use.

???

Archived